Author Topic: Can SCOTUS ISSUE an Executive Order Like the Israeli Does?  (Read 3173 times)

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Can SCOTUS ISSUE an Executive Order Like the Israeli Does?
« on: February 11, 2017, 07:37:31 AM »
If you follow the news in Israel in particular regarding the destruction of the settlement Amona, it razes a question which I don't see anyone in Israel mentions. The Israeli supreme courts not only ruled that this settlement is "illegal", it ordered the Israeli government to take action and destroy it. To me that is very aggressive breach of its authority. Enforcing the law is the task of the executive branch of government and they have to be able to use carry out actions according to their own assessment and be able to use discretion.

If Bagatz (the Israeli supreme court) can effectively carry out executive actions where does its power stops? can it order the government to wage war, or force it to sign a cease fire or raise /lower taxes or what not?

In my opinion Bagatz should only be able to rule whether the settlement is legal or not. If it is "illegal" it is still up to the government to ask for evacuation order and then carry it out. Bagatz should have no authority to order the government to get the police and bulldozers and raze the buildings to the ground.

Offline Nevski

• Pro JTFer
  • Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Re: Can SCOTUS ISSUE an Executive Order Like the Israeli Does?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 06:16:34 PM »
It is confusing. Amona have been destroyed but at the same time new houses are being build. Whats their end goal?
A time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace. - Ecclesiastes 3:8

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 07:31:11 PM »
It is confusing. Amona have been destroyed but at the same time new houses are being build. Whats their end goal?

Whose end goal?  The Supreme Court doesn't want new houses built either.  The govt also doesn't but reluctantly approves houses to appease and pander.  If they wanted new houses and settlements build there would be 100 fold more than these little approvals.  I understand these are approvals of requests from years ago and it takes years to go thru.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 11:42:03 PM »
To answer your questio, Zelhar, SCOTUS cannot issue executive orders.  They only rule on cases brought to them.  The president is the one that can issue executive orders.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 03:03:58 AM »
Whose goal?

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 03:14:02 AM »
Can the SCOTUS rule that the government must take action to enforce a law? Because I think in this case in Israel it is absolutely outrageous that they not only say a building is so called "illegal", but they demand the government to promptly carry out a destruction of the building forcing it to engage in a big police operation. I think the executive branch should be able to use its own discretion on how to enforce the law, of course not in a way that it becomes completely discriminatory but  they should be able to say we don't want to use extreme violence and we would rather compensate the supposed land owner. There must be thousands of Arab buildings all over which have been illegally built on government land and have been post-factum legalized, in some cases the Israeli Bagatz demanded that they must be connected to utilities and provided with services effectively forcing the government to legalize them rather than evacuate the interlopers.

To answer your questio, Zelhar, SCOTUS cannot issue executive orders.  They only rule on cases brought to them.  The president is the one that can issue executive orders.

Offline Nevski

• Pro JTFer
  • Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 06:29:02 AM »
Whose goal?

The supreme court, Netanyahu, Liebermam, the IDF etc.
A time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace. - Ecclesiastes 3:8

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 07:02:07 AM »
The supreme court is a bunch of kapo traitors. Netanyahu in my opinion is trying to walk on the line, he is afraid to build in the settlements, he is afraid to defy the Americans.
The supreme court, Netanyahu, Liebermam, the IDF etc.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 12:02:15 PM »
The supreme court is a bunch of kapo traitors. Netanyahu in my opinion is trying to walk on the line, he is afraid to build in the settlements, he is afraid to defy the Americans.

Agree.

Deep down he probably also wants to make a peace deal with abbas and fears too much settlement stuff gets in his way.

The supreme court judges are straight up animals and don't care what the govt or people want.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 05:30:29 PM »
I don't think that Netanyahu has the peace bug (I suppose Peres was the ultimate peace bug). I actually think Netanyahu tries to avoid and delay the final solution, eh I mean,  agreement. It's the results that matter though not that he may have semi good intentions.
Agree.

Deep down he probably also wants to make a peace deal with abbas and fears too much settlement stuff gets in his way.

The supreme court judges are straight up animals and don't care what the govt or people want.