Author Topic: Animals in the home against Judaism?  (Read 3932 times)

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
Animals in the home against Judaism?
« on: September 11, 2007, 11:51:46 PM »
I know it may be bringing up a sore spot, one that surfaced on an "Ask JTF" show a while back, but I was wondering what many forum members think about pets in the home being dirty and against Judaism, and perhaps Christianity as well.  I believe the term Chaim used was "rekanut" or purity when arguing that pets don't belong in the home.  I had been considering getting a cat, but I think allergies to their hair and pet dander have ruled it out for me.  I also was not thrilled with having to clean up after them all the time, and if having a pet in the home is against my religion as well, I guess that is the final clincher for me.  I still love and appreciate animals and the beauty of nature, but I guess I will continue to appreciate these things outside of the home, in nature itself. 

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
Re: Animals in the home against Judaism?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 07:12:53 PM »
Thoughts?  Maybe should be moved to general discussion?

newman

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 07:31:00 PM »
Sometimes people need to look at the conditions under which these things were written.

In Israel 3,000+ years ago there were no flushing toilets, no pressurised water, no disinfectants, and many homes had dirt floors. The animals spoken of were mostly livestock. To have animals indoors in those days would be unclean.

But today, with ceramic tiles, vaccuum cleaners, bleach & disinfectant and modern homes, a cat or small dog in the house is in NO way unlean.

Offline mosquewatch

• Master JTFer
    • MosqueWatch
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 07:55:48 PM »
From a Christian perspective, I honestly have never been taught about pets in the home. Having a pet is not a light issue. They demand alot of attention , care, and the home must be clean. I will say, that little dog is so happy too see the Wife and I , when we come home from work. She's a good little dog. I guess people should contact their Rabbi or Preacher for such decisions.

Here's my ankle biter "Tinkerbell".   
No peace, without FREEDOM.

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 09:09:06 PM »
Cute dog mosquewatch.  Looks friendly.  I met a psychotic dog last night at a Rosh Hashanah dinner.  He growled constantly the entire evening and would try to attack everyone violently, except his beloved owner, who took a step towards him.  Yet, as a pretty small dog (Laso Apso I think), he would back up immediately afterward.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 09:11:14 PM by Ari »

Offline mosquewatch

• Master JTFer
    • MosqueWatch
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 10:13:46 PM »
Cute dog mosquewatch.  Looks friendly.  I met a psychotic dog last night at a Rosh Hashanah dinner.  He growled constantly the entire evening and would try to attack everyone violently, except his beloved owner, who took a step towards him.  Yet, as a pretty small dog (Laso Apso I think), he would back up immediately afterward.

Tink will bark up a storm at people. She has never bitten anyone, she more than often runs away lol. Once she get's too know ya' she won't leave you alone. She's really great with babies and small children. It's great too have a "Friend" that is happy too see you, acts like you have been gone all day, even if you have only been gone 10 minutes. She's a precious lil thing.

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 11:06:23 PM »
I like Tink.  Sounds like a pretty cool service, Yacov.  I wonder what Chaim would think?

Offline mosquewatch

• Master JTFer
    • MosqueWatch
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 07:32:03 PM »
I like Tink.  Sounds like a pretty cool service, Yacov.  I wonder what Chaim would think?

I think Chaim would probably be against animals in the home. So be it. This is a time that we will agree to disagree. :) I love my lil dog :laugh:

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 02:15:03 AM »
Yes, I love Chaim, but I must say I am not 100 percent sold on all animals not having souls and being able to tell the difference between right and wrong.  I think on some level they can indeed tell the difference as has been seen in several instances of pets helping their owners, etc.

Offline EagleEye

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 02:20:07 AM »
Sometimes people need to look at the conditions under which these things were written.

In Israel 3,000+ years ago there were no flushing toilets, no pressurised water, no disinfectants, and many homes had dirt floors. The animals spoken of were mostly livestock. To have animals indoors in those days would be unclean.

But today, with ceramic tiles, vaccuum cleaners, bleach & disinfectant and modern homes, a cat or small dog in the house is in NO way unlean.
I'm not sure how Orthodox Jews and Fundamentalist Christians think of the idea the scripture should be read in context...

newman

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 12:48:46 AM »

I'm not sure how Orthodox Jews and Fundamentalist Christians think of the idea the scripture should be read in context...

This part is law, not theology.