Author Topic: Check out this paragraph  (Read 1345 times)

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
Check out this paragraph
« on: September 18, 2007, 06:35:31 PM »
and please analyze it.

I wrote about immigration as an example for applied anthropology and how it relates to problems or issues in the world (I had to also give other examples also).

Should I change anything with the following:

[        In addition, people from different cultures have different attitudes about laws.  For instance, millions of people have entered the United States illegally over the past decade from all over the world.  Including the crime of illegally entering the country, many commit other crimes such as identity fraud and theft, rape and murder.  They also hold protests to demand that the United States changes its law to meet their demands.  Mexico’s president, for instance, demands that the United States not secure its own borders despite the fact that it is in America’s best interest to do so.  Other countries need to realize that it is not the United States’ responsibility to absorb a high percentage of their citizens; rather, legal immigration should be interpreted as a privilege.  If these countries want to be more like the United States, then they should create and enforce effective policies. Applied anthropologists would be able to understand why The United States has a history and a culture and needs to ensure that those who immigrate the proper way assimilate into American society.  The present level of immigrants exceeds in number anything any nation has ever known. They now come from cultures and countries whose people have never before been assimilated by any First World country. Not only is the Melting Pot broken, it is rejected by our elites. Minorities are urged to hold onto their own language, customs, and traditions.  And the largest cohort, Mexicans, comes from a country with a historic grievance and a claim on the territory they are entering.  Applied anthropologists would be useful in determining what type of immigrants would be best at respecting the laws and culture of the United States.

]

About the last sentence, anthropologists would probably be doing this against their desire since they seem like the type of people who would love "open borders."