Author Topic: A Message From Chaim On Closing The Forum On Shabbat  (Read 6974 times)

Offline jsullivan

• Pro JTFer
A Message From Chaim On Closing The Forum On Shabbat
« on: September 20, 2007, 08:37:36 AM »
Chaim Ben Pesach e-mailed the following message:

Shalom fellow JTFers,

I believe that we have a moral obligation to prevent posting and registration on the JTF Forum on Shabbat (the Sabbath). I ask our administrators to take the necessary steps to implement this policy.

It is true that most of our forum members are righteous Gentiles, who do not have to observe Shabbat. If all of our forum members were Gentile, obviously there would be no problem with keeping the forum open on Shabbat.

But about 40% of our forum members are Jewish, and some of these Jewish members are not yet Shomrei Shabbat (Sabbath observant). Which means that if the forum is open, some of these Jewish members will post on Shabbat, chas veshalom (G-d forbid).

I know that some of our Jewish members will be on the internet on Shabbat whether the JTF Forum is open or not. We cannot control what people do in their personal lives. However, we as a movement cannot encourage or enable violating Shabbat. We cannot in effect legitimize Jews violating Shabbat by allowing our forum to become a place where this activity occurs. Whatever Jews do in their personal lives, they must at least know that JTF is a Torah-true movement that does everything possible to encourage Jews to observe Shabbat and to observe all of the mitzvot (commandments) of the Torah.

It is very painful for me to think that JTF encourages or enables even one Jew to violate Shabbat or any other mitzvah, chas vechalilah (G-d forbid). If even one Jew is encouraged or enabled to do this, then that is reason enough to close the forum on Shabbat.

As for our righteous Gentile members, I hope you will understand that when Jews observe Shabbat and the other mitzvot, is not only good for the Jewish people, it is good for the whole world. The whole world is a better place when Jews do what HaShem (G-d) has commanded them to do. By being part of a movement that encourages Jews to follow G-d's commandments, our wonderful Gentile members will also receive great blessings and merit from the Creator of the Universe.

שנה טובה וגמר חתימה טובה, ושנראה כולנו ביאת גואל צדק במהרה בימינו ובניין בית המקדש בכל תהילתו אכי''ר

Translation: A good New Year and a good final inscription [in the book of life], and we should all see the arrival of the just redeemer [the Messiah] quickly in our days and the building of the Holy Temple with all of its glory, this should be His will, amen.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: A Message From Chaim On Closing The Forum On Shabbat
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 10:01:18 AM »
 :)
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline EagleEye

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 10:07:49 AM »
What about time zones...is not the sabbath variant depending on what location a person is living...

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 10:11:20 AM »
Good point
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 01:20:50 PM »
I think it will be NY eastern time zone.

Tzvi-good call on bringing it to the attention that this forum should be closed on shabbat...even though i disagreed with my arm and leg about it...but it's the right thing to do for this movement.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Dexter

• Master JTFer
  • צֶדֶק צֶדֶק, תִּרְדֹּף
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 01:28:52 PM »
Fine by me . ;)
Not a foreign land we took and not with foreign possession but a land that belong to our ancestors that was occupied without a trial. And when we had the opportunity, we took our land back.
-Shimon Maccabee's answer to Antiochus VII Sidetes.

"When fighting monsters, be wary not to become one... When you gaze into the abyss, it also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Lubab

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 04:46:50 PM »
I had this question with my other forum, and the Rabbi said go with the time zone where you are.

In Chaim's case that's the New York time zone. It is true that others will be able to post in other time zone's on Shabbat, but this is the extent of our obligation under Jewish law.

"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline fjack

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 05:46:35 PM »
I agree 100 percent.

Offline decimos

• Senior JTFer
    • wowheed
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 05:56:02 PM »
Since you mentioned te Torah aspect,it seems logical../bump
And that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams, shall be put to death; because he hath spoken perversion against the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, and redeemed thee out of the house of bondage, to draw thee aside out of the way which the LORD thy God commanded thee to walk in. So shalt thou put away the evil from the midst of thee.Deuteronomy 13:5.

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 06:21:21 PM »
What about time zones...is not the sabbath variant depending on what location a person is living...

I think it's possible on forums to have a feature where individual users are able to select their time zone in a user settings type option. 

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 06:25:11 PM »
Now that we are closing the forum for Shabbat, what will be the policy for major Jewish holidays like Yom Kippur, Rosh Hashanah, Succot and Passover?  Will we be closing it for those holidays as well? 

Offline jsullivan

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 07:50:56 PM »
The Hebrew forum is not closed during the holidays because it is too complicated and confusing.

For example, next week we have two days of Succot coming up from Wednesday night to Friday night. That leads directly into the Sabbath. And so we have three days in a row when Jews are not supposed to be on computers. But if we close down the forum for three days with the written message about the Sabbath, it's confusing because it will say "Shabbat Shalom" on Wednesday night.

So the decision was made not to close the Hebrew forum when you have three days in a row like that, and we should do the same. Even on Shabbat, the Hebrew forum is not closed when a holiday immediately precedes the Sabbath. Because we can't have admins making changes on Friday night when it's a holiday. The admins making the changes would be violating the holiday, G-d forbid. And just leaving a confusing message for three days in a row saying both "Shabbat Shalom" and "Chag Sameach" is also not a good idea.

Tomorrow night is both Shabbat and Yom Kippur and so we can close the forum just before Friday night. But for the two weeks after that, we will have to leave the forum open in order to avoid confusion and chaos. Once the holidays are over, we can implement this new policy every Shabbat.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 10:57:27 PM by jsullivan »

Offline Zvulun Ben Moshe

• Pro JTFer
  • A Party to the Eternal Covenant
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 10:10:48 PM »
Instead of closing the forum, I would place a warning page reminding that it is Shabbat and how important that is for a Jew to observe it and if they decide to still go to the forum or if they are Gentile, then they would click on a link to proceed and would be redirected to the forum.
I am Zvulun ben Moshe and I approve this message.

Offline Zvulun Ben Moshe

• Pro JTFer
  • A Party to the Eternal Covenant
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 10:15:57 PM »
But then it would be letting a Jew proceed even after they are warned.

No, it would be on his conscience, if he wants to proceed. You would have done your duty.

I would actually add a timetable of Shabbat in all timezones.
I am Zvulun ben Moshe and I approve this message.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 10:20:47 PM »
But then it would be letting a Jew proceed even after they are warned.

No, it would be on his conscience, if he wants to proceed. You would have done your duty.

I would actually add a timetable of Shabbat in all timezones.

1- the discussion is over, it has been decided by Chaim that the forum will be closed on Shabbah.
2- Not a bad idea. (maybe like an announcement for when to expect its closing).
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline jsullivan

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2007, 11:13:48 PM »
The Hebrew forum is not closed during the holidays because it is too complicated and confusing.

For example, next week we have two days of Shavuot coming up from Wednesday night to Friday night. That leads directly into the Sabbath. And so we have three days in a row when Jews are not supposed to be on computers. But if we close down the forum for three days with the written message about the Sabbath, it's confusing because it will say "Shabbat Shalom" on Wednesday night.

So the decision was made not to close the Hebrew forum when you have three days in a row like that, and we should do the same. Even on Shabbat, the Hebrew forum is not closed when a holiday immediately precedes the Sabbath. Because we can't have admins making changes on Friday night when it's a holiday. The admins making the changes would be violating the holiday, G-d forbid. And just leaving a confusing message for three days in a row saying both "Shabbat Shalom" and "Chag Sameach" is also not a good idea.

Tomorrow night is both Shabbat and Yom Kippur and so we can close the forum just before Friday night. But for the two weeks after that, we will have to leave the forum open in order to avoid confusion and chaos. Once the holidays are over, we can implement this new policy every Shabbat.

Jimmy, is it really only because of a matter of words? Just say "Shalom, this forum is currently closed because of the Holy Shabbat or current Yom Tov. We will reopen when it finishes."

Your suggestion makes sense if it can be phrased properly. It IS a matter of words. Saying "Shabbat Shalom" on Wednesday night would create confusion. It could cause people to think we're crazy or out of touch with reality. We want to bring people into our movement to bring them closer to Torah Judaism, not turn them away. If we can phrase things properly, that would solve the problem.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2007, 11:27:49 PM »

For example, next week we have two days of Shavuot coming up from Wednesday night to Friday night. That leads directly into the Sabbath. And so we have three days in a row when Jews are not supposed to be on computers. But if we close down the forum for three days with the written message about the Sabbath, it's confusing because it will say "Shabbat Shalom" on Wednesday night.

Jimmy, is it really only because of a matter of words? Just say "Shalom, this forum is currently closed because of the Holy Shabbat or current Yom Tov. We will reopen when it finishes."

Your suggestion makes sense if it can be phrased properly. It IS a matter of words. Saying "Shabbat Shalom" on Wednesday night would create confusion. It could cause people to think we're crazy or out of touch with reality. We want to bring people into our movement to bring them closer to Torah Judaism, not turn them away. If we can phrase things properly, that would solve the problem.

so politically correct...how about "shabbat shalom and/or chag sameach" ?   :laugh:
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline MasterWolf1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2007, 11:30:34 PM »
It seems fair and I will respect that. No problem.
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

OZ77

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2007, 01:24:28 AM »
thanks jimmy, tell Chaim this will be taken care of...  ;)

OZ77

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2007, 01:38:46 AM »

so politically correct...how about "shabbat shalom and/or chag sameach" ?   :laugh:

the phrasing of the message can be changed by any admin at any time, it's very easy to do.
you can change it according to the day in question weather it's shabbat or yom tove.

Offline fjack

• Master JTFer
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2007, 06:06:41 AM »
Dear Posters,
Just because the site will be closed down for our Jewish brothers and sisters, that doesn't mean us goys should be less vigilant, It is our duty to and a obligation to be on guard when our brothers and sisters are doing their religious duties. As a matter of fact, we should be more vigilant in our oberservations of who is doing our brothers and sisters harm. I would expect no less from our Jewish brothers and sisters when Christians have their Holidays. What does Chiam think of my anaylsis.

Offline Ultra Requete

• Master JTFer
  • United We Stand, Dived We'll Fall.
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2007, 02:37:25 PM »
Dear Posters,
Just because the site will be closed down for our Jewish brothers and sisters, that doesn't mean us goys should be less vigilant, It is our duty to and a obligation to be on guard when our brothers and sisters are doing their religious duties. As a matter of fact, we should be more vigilant in our oberservations of who is doing our brothers and sisters harm. I would expect no less from our Jewish brothers and sisters when Christians have their Holidays. What does Chiam think of my anaylsis.

That woudbe nice; but christians are no forbiden for posting on internet on their Holydays; unless it's sinfull site and JTF is not; or you post for financial profit an/or material future gain.
Jeremiah 8:11-17

11 They dress the wound of my people as though it were not serious. Peace, peace, they say, when there is no peace.

12 Are they ashamed of their loathsome conduct? No, they have no shame at all; they do not even know how to blush. So they will fall among the fallen; they will be brought down when they are punished, says the LORD.

13 'I will take away their harvest, declares the LORD. There will be no grapes on the vine. There will be no figs on the tree, and their leaves will wither. What I have given them will be taken from them.'

14 Why are we sitting here? Gather together! Let us flee to the fortified cities and perish there! For the LORD our God has doomed us to perish and given us poisoned water to drink, because we have sinned against him.

15 We hoped for peace but no good has come, for a time of healing but there was only terror.

16 The snorting of the enemy's horses is heard from Dan; at the neighing of their stallions the whole land trembles. They have come to devour the land and everything in it, the city and all who live there.

17 See, I will send venomous snakes among you, vipers that cannot be charmed, and they will bite you, declares the LORD.

Love your Enemy
And Heap Burning Coals on his Head!!!
http://net-burst.net/revenge/love_and_wrath_of_God.htm

Offline mosquewatch

• Master JTFer
    • MosqueWatch
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2007, 10:19:28 PM »
I respect the decision too close the Forum. Don't like it , but I respect it. ;) I missed the forum when it was closed.
No peace, without FREEDOM.

Offline AussieJTFer

• Pro JTFer
    • AussieJTFer's Youtube Channel
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2007, 02:23:08 AM »
What timezone will you be following? American Eastern timezone is 6 hours behind Israel and 14 hours behind Australia, how can you ensure Jews from various countries will not log on when it is still Shabbat in their respective timezones? Conversely, what if Jews want to log onto the forum after their Shabbat yet be stuck for more than half a day waiting for Shabbat to end in the US?

Offline Ultra Requete

• Master JTFer
  • United We Stand, Dived We'll Fall.
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2007, 02:37:43 AM »
What timezone will you be following? American Eastern timezone is 6 hours behind Israel and 14 hours behind Australia, how can you ensure Jews from various countries will not log on when it is still Shabbat in their respective timezones? Conversely, what if Jews want to log onto the forum after their Shabbat yet be stuck for more than half a day waiting for Shabbat to end in the US?

The sever time must count which AET; it's for not helping them to sin; which is sin itself and not encouraging them to sin too; the staff have no authority an/or means to ensure they will keep sabath anyway.
Jeremiah 8:11-17

11 They dress the wound of my people as though it were not serious. Peace, peace, they say, when there is no peace.

12 Are they ashamed of their loathsome conduct? No, they have no shame at all; they do not even know how to blush. So they will fall among the fallen; they will be brought down when they are punished, says the LORD.

13 'I will take away their harvest, declares the LORD. There will be no grapes on the vine. There will be no figs on the tree, and their leaves will wither. What I have given them will be taken from them.'

14 Why are we sitting here? Gather together! Let us flee to the fortified cities and perish there! For the LORD our God has doomed us to perish and given us poisoned water to drink, because we have sinned against him.

15 We hoped for peace but no good has come, for a time of healing but there was only terror.

16 The snorting of the enemy's horses is heard from Dan; at the neighing of their stallions the whole land trembles. They have come to devour the land and everything in it, the city and all who live there.

17 See, I will send venomous snakes among you, vipers that cannot be charmed, and they will bite you, declares the LORD.

Love your Enemy
And Heap Burning Coals on his Head!!!
http://net-burst.net/revenge/love_and_wrath_of_God.htm