Author Topic: First ever Jewish super bowl MVP  (Read 1471 times)

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
First ever Jewish super bowl MVP
« on: February 06, 2019, 02:25:37 PM »
https://www.timesofisrael.com/patriots-julian-edelman-becomes-first-ever-jewish-player-to-win-super-bowl-mvp/

He seems to be a good guy, and is very pro-Israel.   btw, the Pats owner, Robert Kraft (who's also Jewish), seems to be very pro-Israel, although he had a past with democrats.

Patriots’ Julian Edelman becomes first-ever Jewish player to win Super Bowl MVP

ATLANTA  — The Patriots’ Julian Edelman was selected as the Super Bowl MVP while helping lift the Patriots to a 13-3 victory over the Los Angeles Rams on Sunday night, apparently becoming the first-ever Jewish player to win the honor.

Edelman was forced to watch only as a spectator a year ago as his disappointed Patriots teammates trudged off the field as Super Bowl losers.

Catch after catch in this one, Tom Brady’s favorite wide receiver helped make them winners again as Edelman had 10 receptions for 141 yards.

Get The Times of Israel's Daily Edition by email and never miss our top stories FREE SIGN UP
The two met at midfield with confetti flying, and embraced for several moments — eyes filled with the tears of champions.

New England Patriots’ Julian Edelman, left, and Tom Brady celebrate after the NFL Super Bowl 53 football game against the Los Angeles Rams, February 3, 2019, in Atlanta. The Patriots won 13-3. (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel)
“I’m pretty ecstatic,” Edelman said. “I’m emotionally pooped. I’m physically and emotionally pooped.”

The award apparently made Edelman the first-ever Jewish Super Bowl MVP.

Edelman, one of only a few Jewish players in the league, is certainly the most successful, through his role as Brady’s favorite target. The Brady-to-Edelman connection has been a major part of the Patriots’ dominance in recent years, and the pair have now won three Super Bowls together.

Edelman, 32, also is the most outwardly Jewish NFL player, embracing that side of his identity over time. He has a Jewish father but was not raised in the religion, and through the Patriots front office often would defer on questions about his religion.

Amb. Ron Dermer

@AmbDermer
 Congratulations to @Patriots and the Jewish people’s Mega-mensch Robert Kraft for winning his 6th Super Bowl trophy and to Julian Edelman, a gridiron Maccabee, for winning the MVP trophy.

8:06 PM - Feb 3, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
175 people are talking about this
He didn’t establish himself as a standout until the 2013 season. Coincidentally or not, it was during his breakout year that Edelman identified as Jewish in an interview with the NFL Network.

Since then, he has shown his Jewish pride on a number of occasions. In a 2014 game, for instance, he wore a pin featuring the Israeli flag. He has tweeted about Jewish holidays. He even went on a Birthright-style trip to Israel, and has written a children’s book that references modern-day Zionism founder Theodor Herzl. After the Pittsburgh synagogue shooting in the fall that killed 11, he wore special cleats with Hebrew on them to honor the victims.

New England Patriots wide receiver Julian Edelman posts a picture of his cleats to be worn during a game on December 16, 2018, to honor the victims of the Pittsburgh synagogue shooting. (Julian Edelman/Twittter)
In a congratulatory tweet, Israel’s Ambassador to the US Ron Dermer hailed Edelman as a “gridiron Maccabee,” a reference to the Jewish warriors from the Hanukkah story.

It was an incredibly satisfying ending to a big-time comeback season for Edelman, a guy considered by Brady to be like a little brother — some teammates even jokingly say they have a “bromance” — and widely regarded as one of the greatest slot receivers in league history.

And, he was at it again against the Rams.

Reliable and steady. All night long.

Even when things weren’t working early for the Patriots, Edelman kept the offense going and the clock rolling as a safety valve for Brady. He also had a 13-yard grab during the go-ahead touchdown drive with 7 minutes left in the game.

It has been a long journey back to this point for Edelman, who missed all of last season after tearing a knee ligament in New England’s third preseason game.

“You’ve just got to believe,” he said. “Just gotta believe.”

What he did in this Super Bowl was exactly what the Patriots’ offense was missing in last year’s 41-33 loss to Philadelphia.

Edelman was then forced to sit out the first four games of this season for violating the NFL’s policy on performance enhancers.

And, then, it was uncertain as to whether the 32-year-old receiver would be as productive and effective as he had been throughout his career with the Patriots.

Turned out, he was as good as ever.

Edelman finished the regular season with 74 catches and a team-high 850 receiving yards with six touchdowns. He kept it going through New England’s first two playoffs games, hauling in 16 catches for a team-high 247 yards.

The Patriots led the Rams just 3-0 at halftime, but Edelman was a big reason for that. He had seven of his catches for 93 yards in the first two quarters as New England outgained Los Angeles 195-57.

Brady had won four of the MVP awards in the Patriots’ previous five Super Bowl victories.

It seemed only fitting that Edelman walked off the field with this one.

Online Hrvatski Noahid

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: First ever Jewish super bowl MVP
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 03:02:53 PM »
Gentiles are obligated to fulfill the Seven Noahide Commandments because they are the eternal command of God, transmitted through Moses our teacher in the Torah. The main and best book on details of Noahide observance is "The Divine Code" by Rabbi Moshe Weiner.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCffOR1kc1bBK9HwP8kQdSXg
Telegram: https://t.me/JewishTaskForceChat
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Noachide/

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 04:09:12 PM »
He is jewish by my book, although his elite athleticism clearly came from the goy side.

Online Hrvatski Noahid

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 04:20:31 PM »
He is jewish by my book, although his elite athleticism clearly came from the goy side.

He can identify as a polar bear. If his mother is not Jewish, he is not Jewish. The stereotype that Jews lack athleticism amuses me.
Gentiles are obligated to fulfill the Seven Noahide Commandments because they are the eternal command of God, transmitted through Moses our teacher in the Torah. The main and best book on details of Noahide observance is "The Divine Code" by Rabbi Moshe Weiner.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCffOR1kc1bBK9HwP8kQdSXg
Telegram: https://t.me/JewishTaskForceChat
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Noachide/

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 04:22:53 PM »

You never know, maybe the Jewish side helped as well.  The guy is pretty small, 5' 9", which is rare for any football player, including a wide-receiver.  But he makes up for that lack of height with some impressive footwork and skill.

But yes, the stereotype is always good for a few laughs. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxqjsyfbcd4

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 11:48:08 PM »
He is no more Jewish than the Pope or Mahmud Abbas  because his mother is a shiksa

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 11:24:16 AM »
If his mother isn't Jewish, he's not Jewish.

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 09:46:57 PM »
He was raised as a Christian and only his father is Jewish, so how is he Jewish?  I wonder if his father ever went to shul?  I'm glad that he wants to identify as a Jew, though. 

Online Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 08:51:37 AM »

Dude....just because someone has a Jewish dad and accomplish’s something doesn’t make him Jewish. And if anything, an mvp football player if he were Jewish, shouldn’t be giving you Jewish pride.

We got the Torah in Sinai and nobody else did. That should be our pride.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 02:26:56 PM »
It's not because he is an mvp. Someone who has a jewish father, sincerely identifies as a Jew, and doesn't follow any other religious tradition, in my book it's a Jew. I know the halacha has it's own definition. But I don't follow halacha and I don't believe in all that religious thing.

Dude....just because someone has a Jewish dad and accomplish’s something doesn’t make him Jewish. And if anything, an mvp football player if he were Jewish, shouldn’t be giving you Jewish pride.

We got the Torah in Sinai and nobody else did. That should be our pride.