Author Topic: Yom Kippur  (Read 2113 times)

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
Yom Kippur
« on: September 24, 2007, 04:54:09 PM »
How was everyone's fast?  I can't fast anymore.  My doctor told me I can't fast anymore on Yom Kipper because of a medical condition. 

Offline decimos

• Senior JTFer
    • wowheed
Re: Yom Kippur
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 05:05:07 PM »
Im sad to hear of you condition,but HaShem knows this, just double up a mitzvah,{ask a Rabbi first tho}.
And that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams, shall be put to death; because he hath spoken perversion against the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, and redeemed thee out of the house of bondage, to draw thee aside out of the way which the LORD thy God commanded thee to walk in. So shalt thou put away the evil from the midst of thee.Deuteronomy 13:5.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 08:58:08 PM »
For the first time ever, I had a headache during the fast, and it only got worse when I broke the fast.  I think it was a migraine, as it seemed to get worse in the light. 

What condition do you have that you can no longer fast on Yom Kippur?

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 09:13:51 PM »
Did you fast the full 25 hours?

Sure did.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 09:16:34 PM by Yacov Menashe Ben Rachamim »

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 09:50:50 PM »
For the first time ever, I had a headache during the fast, and it only got worse when I broke the fast.  I think it was a migraine, as it seemed to get worse in the light. 

What condition do you have that you can no longer fast on Yom Kippur?

Sounds like you might have been dehydrated, I say this because you broke the fast and still had a headache, if you had a headache from low blood sugar, breaking the fast should have taken care of it, maybe you should have drank more. Educated opinion, my undergrad degree is in clinical nutrition.  :)
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 10:38:53 PM »
Thanks New Yorker!  I think you're right.

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 10:41:20 PM »
I think if you are advised by a Doctor to take medication and have to take food with it it is okay to break the fast.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 11:29:38 PM »
My mom never fasts. She says she has to take medicine so she eats with it. I don't know if that counts as being sick that you can take it for that. She says she's always sick. If I was in her situation, I just wouldn't take the medicine that day.

She used to never fast but when I started after Bar Mitzvah she started to but recently she said she's been sick. But she said she cooked the food so it is still violating Yom Tov and she drives to synagogue on Yom Kippur.

Yaacov, if your mother is truely sick and her doctor especailly recommends her to take the medicine to basically stay alive, it woudl be a grave sin to fast!
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein