Author Topic: People couldn't repent before the Flood?  (Read 1567 times)

Offline Noachide

• Pro JTFer
People couldn't repent before the Flood?
« on: January 07, 2020, 05:00:05 AM »
Did anybody heard about this, that people couldn't repent before the Flood? Here is the excerpt from the book Seven Gates of Righteous Knowledge (published by AskNoah International, 2017, authors: Rabbi Moshe Weiner and Dr. Michael Schulman): "Also, humanity will never become that wicked again, and people have ability to repent, which they did not have before the Flood". Source for this was Sefer HaSichot.

Cain could repent and he lived before the Flood. HaShem told him that.

Anybody have some idea about this?

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: People couldn't repent before the Flood?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 11:26:07 AM »
Did anybody heard about this, that people couldn't repent before the Flood? Here is the excerpt from the book Seven Gates of Righteous Knowledge (published by AskNoah International, 2017, authors: Rabbi Moshe Weiner and Dr. Michael Schulman): "Also, humanity will never become that wicked again, and people have ability to repent, which they did not have before the Flood". Source for this was Sefer HaSichot.

Cain could repent and he lived before the Flood. HaShem told him that.

Anybody have some idea about this?

The Jewish position is teshuva was created before the world, because it doesn't conform to the rules of the world. Since it wasn't the same kind of eternal moral sin to kill yourself back then if you were evil, maybe people didn't have access to it. In general, you're going to want to stay away from learning about all the world pre-flood, so many things were happening back then we really don't want to come back. Their pyramids in Egypt I'll say how wonderful they're just tombs for the dead instead of their previous purpose, and no chimeras.
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline Noachide

• Pro JTFer
Re: People couldn't repent before the Flood?
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 03:24:11 AM »
The Jewish position is teshuva was created before the world, because it doesn't conform to the rules of the world. Since it wasn't the same kind of eternal moral sin to kill yourself back then if you were evil, maybe people didn't have access to it. In general, you're going to want to stay away from learning about all the world pre-flood, so many things were happening back then we really don't want to come back. Their pyramids in Egypt I'll say how wonderful they're just tombs for the dead instead of their previous purpose, and no chimeras.
Thank you for this insight. It still confuses me very much that people couldn't repent before the Flood.  I will search internet for more information. If anyone have some idea or source for this I would like to hear it very much.