Author Topic: TIME FLIES!!  (Read 3822 times)

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
TIME FLIES!!
« on: September 25, 2007, 05:07:59 PM »
Is it just me or have you felt that time seems to be going a lot faster recently? The last couple of years have gone by in nothing more then flashes!!

Is there any reference or Torah suggestions on this?

Maybe its due to the fact we have become so absorbed in everything, we don't have enough time to think and reflect.

And also the fact that a lot of gadgets are designed to constantly keep us entertained and doing something, like IPODS, which are advertised on the basis that they can store 25,000 songs. I don't even know more then 100 songs yet alone 25000!!!!

Offline Barach Velvel ben Lazer Eliazer

• Pro JTFer
Re: TIME FLIES!!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 05:13:38 PM »
Correct you are.

I'm already in my third year of college and it feels like I just started.

I'm not exactly happy about time going so fast. It's kind of scary, really. It's almost 2008, and that's a pretty big number, as far as year standards go.

Offline Lubab

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 05:13:43 PM »
Is it just me or have you felt that time seems to be going a lot faster recently? The last couple of years have gone by in nothing more then flashes!!

Maybe its due to the fact we have become so absorbed in everything, we don't have enough time to think and reflect.

And also the fact that a lot of gadgets are designed to constantly keep us entertained and doing something, like IPODS, which are advertised on the basis that they can store 25,000 songs. I don't even know more then 100 songs yet alone 25000!!!!

Yes. Those of us who keep Shabbos know there is never enough time right before Shabbos. It's always a mad rush.
On the global scale we're headed towards the big Sabbath and things are moving quickly as we approach a new era.
"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 05:15:15 PM »

Yes. Those of us who keep Shabbos know there is never enough time right before Shabbos. It's always a mad rush.
On the global scale we're headed towards the big Sabbath and things are moving quickly as we approach a new era.

I hope this is true......
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 05:23:30 PM »
I was told that time passing quickly was a sign that the end of the world is approaching.

Offline Jasmina

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 05:28:08 PM »
  when we were little kids time for us was so slowly going because all we wanted was to get big enough to do whatever we want...not to be under parents word anymore...yet we are where we wanted so much, and time flies because we have a lot of responsabilities, we have to finish the school, college, master,work, have a family, raise kids, etc...we took our parents responsabilities, and that means we don`t have time as we had when we were kids and were wainting for the day when we grow up....
The whole system works because everyone is not mentally ill on the same day!!!!

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 10:34:14 PM »
Time does fly.  Let's face the facts, life is indeed very short, no matter how you look at it.

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 10:52:06 AM »
Its also possible to defeat aging by travelling at extremely ground-breaking speeds.....it has something to do with the theory of relativity but people travelling in a fast aeroplane over rode time or something. It was in an article, i'll try and find it.

Offline Lubab

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 11:33:00 AM »
That is not really true. You will not get younger by traveling faster than the speed of light.

That is talking about going back in  measurable time, but not the actual flow of time. In reality you can't get younger that way.

"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline Bodhi

• Full JTFer
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 02:02:06 PM »
It really is amazing......when someone points out to me that something that happened in 1982 happened 25 years ago I can hardly beleive it, it seems like just yesterday to me....Make the most of the time you have...... :)

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 03:18:31 PM »
That is not really true. You will not get younger by traveling faster than the speed of light.

That is talking about going back in  measurable time, but not the actual flow of time. In reality you can't get younger that way.

Yeah of course, its impossible to defeat age but the process of ageing can be slowed down by travelling faster e.g a 50 yr old person whos been travelling at fast speeds would look physically younger then a 50 year old person on earth. It may also have something to do with the sagging of muscles, causing wrinkles, taking more effect normally due to gravity but not as much whilst accelerating....actually i just made that up so i don't think it means anything. :)

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 04:13:40 PM »

I figured out how to slow down time! Go on a diet! Time will then slow down to a crawl between meals.  :D
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 04:20:50 PM »

I figured out how to slow down time! Go on a diet! Time will then slow down to a crawl between meals.  :D
:laugh:

ftf

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 04:21:09 PM »

Also in realty, you can't travel at the speed of light, unless you have an infintely powerful engine, or weigh absolutely nothing. he faster you go, the heavier you become, if you were approaching the speed of light your mass would be approaching infinity.

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2007, 09:03:13 PM »
I don't know, I was banging my head against the wall waiting for the forum to be up and running again.. so my week was slow. ;D

But in general yes, time does fly. I can't believe I'm 23.. I feel like yesterday I was the 15 year old hanging out on the corner.. just more facial hair lol

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2007, 09:44:12 PM »
it flies faster as you get older
wayne jude

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2007, 10:38:40 PM »
I was told that time passing quickly was a sign that the end of the world is approaching.

I think that the perception of time passing quickly is the result of being very occupied in a lot of things. So therefore, being involved in a lot of things will cause the end of the world to come ;)

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2007, 05:19:23 PM »

Also in realty, you can't travel at the speed of light, unless you have an infintely powerful engine, or weigh absolutely nothing. he faster you go, the heavier you become, if you were approaching the speed of light your mass would be approaching infinity.

I thought it wasn't possible for your mass to change......your weight can in space and such but your mass?

ftf

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2007, 06:00:53 PM »

I thought it wasn't possible for your mass to change......your weight can in space and such but your mass?

Your mass varies as your speed varies. The amount by which it varies is tiny untill you get upto very high speeds, but as you approach the speed of light your mass approaches infinity, I think this is university level physics BTW, so it's not surprising that you don't know about it.

kellymaureen

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2007, 06:05:21 PM »
Time does fly, just last year I had to start checking the 30-40 box for age on forms ;D

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2007, 06:07:53 PM »

Your mass varies as your speed varies. The amount by which it varies is tiny untill you get upto very high speeds, but as you approach the speed of light your mass approaches infinity, I think this is university level physics BTW, so it's not surprising that you don't know about it.

Yeah but keep on going, its interesting!
Is this a theory, or proved fact?

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2007, 06:08:37 PM »
Time does fly, just last year I had to start checking the 30-40 box for age on forms ;D

:D Does life improve the older you get?

kellymaureen

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2007, 06:34:52 PM »
Ive loved every age Ive been, and I cant understand why women lie about their age or its so "sensitive" to ask them about it....Im only going around once here, so Im going to do my best to enjoy it!

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2007, 06:36:10 PM »
Thats the spirit. :)