Author Topic: Yeast in both forms not anymore available in Germany  (Read 1619 times)

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Yeast in both forms not anymore available in Germany
« on: March 31, 2020, 10:59:37 AM »
Yeast to bake and for brewing in dried and fresh form is now nearly not available in Germany. It is a serious shortage.

My wife sent me to buy it. I was in four supermarkets: Aldi, Lidl, Combi (local market owned by the tea family bünting) and Rewe. I spoke with the management of the markets. They told me, that it comes only one time a very small delivery and this is sold out instantly. I would have in the next time nearly no chance to get some.

Who buys all the yeast and for what reason? Dried yeast could be something for the preppers, but fresh yeast is not long usable and spoils easily.

I will do some research too.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Yeast in both forms not anymore available in Germany
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 11:02:11 AM »
Yeast to bake and for brewing in dried and fresh form is now nearly not available in Germany. It is a serious shortage.

My wife sent me to buy it. I was in four supermarkets: Aldi, Lidl, Combi (local market owned by the tea family bünting) and Rewe. I spoke with the management of the markets. They told me, that it comes only one time a very small delivery and this is sold out instantly. I would have in the next time nearly no chance to get some.

Who buys all the yeast and for what reason? Dried yeast could be something for the preppers, but fresh yeast is not long usable and spoils easily.

I will do some research too.

One cube is normally 10 cents in Germany. Now you can get easily 1 Euro for it. At least I would pay this to please my wife.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 11:11:45 AM »
It is just worse. 3 cubes sold in an auction on Ebay for 4,50 Euro!

https://www.ebay.de/itm/3x-FRISCHHEFE-HEFE-Backen-Teig/193402930982?hash=item2d07b68726:g:I3AAAOSwfF1egKli

1500 % UP
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 02:21:36 PM by Ulli »

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 11:35:37 AM »
You can make the yeast on your own. It works like this:

Ingredients:

500 ml water
30 g sugar
2 dried dates, not treated with sulfur
1.500-ml-glas container tight lockable

How to do it:

Clean the glas container well and cook it one time, that it is clean and bacteria free. Dry the glas container.

The water should be handwarm when you put it into the container

Add the sugar and shake it strongly, till the sugar has dissolved.

Add the dates and lock the container

Put the container in a warm location (30 degree celsius) and shake it in the morning and evening.

Open the container every day after the shaking shortly to let the gases out.

After five to ten days the water shows bubbles and smells like yeast. Now it is ready.

Attention: If the mix is developing mold, you have to dispose it and start new. But by shaking the mix according to the instructions this should not happen.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 05:21:16 PM »
Yeast is one thing we can never get rid of. You can make your own Sauerteig, well at least theoretically, by just leaving some fresh dough in the open air.