Author Topic: Russia's Newest Law: No Evangelizing Outside of Church  (Read 1318 times)

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Russia's Newest Law: No Evangelizing Outside of Church
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 10:04:51 AM »
https://www.christianitytoday.com/news/2016/june/no-evangelizing-outside-of-church-russia-proposes.html

I think CT gets this law totally wrong.

The core is this:

What is sharing beliefs - and what beliefs?

The new Chapter 24 of the Religion Law states: "For the purposes of this federal law, missionary activity is recognised as the activity of a religious association, aimed at disseminating information about its beliefs among people who are not participants (members, followers) in that religious association, with the purpose of involving these people as participants (members, followers). It is carried out directly by religious associations or by citizens and/or legal entities authorised by them, publicly, with the help of the media, the internet or other lawful means."

http://www.forum18.org/archive.php?article_id=2197

If some people of some religion want to come together and worship or teach before their members there is no problem.

But if they want to missionize people from other groups, than this is forbidden if they are not belonging to the state registered religious groups.

Against international human rights obligations, the amendments to the Religion Law restrict those who can share beliefs to people with permission from members of state-registered religious groups and organisations.

So I think this law is there to reduce tensions in a very diverse Russia and to keep the tradition and culture.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 10:12:50 AM »
Ulli I got the same understanding from this as you did

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 10:32:25 AM »
Ulli I got the same understanding from this as you did

I think it is not a bad law. Otherwise you have everyday another two people with bags in front of your door. And I remeber very well as the Jehovas witnesses sneaked through the garden to the window of my grandmother when she was over 80 years old. Thank God my mother cought them.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 10:37:45 AM »
I think it is not a bad law. Otherwise you have everyday another two people with bags in front of your door. And I remeber very well as the Jehovas witnesses sneaked through the garden to the window of my grandmother when she was over 80 years old. Thank God my mother cought them.
I agree