Yes.
19 (38.8%)
No.
25 (51%)
I'm not sure.
5 (10.2%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: February 16, 2009, 11:33:47 AM

Author Topic: What Do You All Think Of Halloween?  (Read 44705 times)

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Should Halloween be banned?
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2007, 11:46:15 PM »
How about getting drunk and whopping it up in costume for allah the moon god.just  for plain fun!

Erica

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2007, 11:50:26 PM »
A masquerade party isn't wrong, it's harmless fun.

A pagan ritual around a fire chanting to deities, goddesses, demons and whatnot is wrong.

Dressing up as Neo from the Matrix, having one or two too many drinks and getting the phone number of that cute girl that's dressed up as Xena the Warrior Princess is just good fun!  ::)
Exactly NewYorker. For example, my husband and I will be attending our first ever 70's party where everyone will dress in 70's clothes and dance to 70's music and such; for Halloween. :D I can't wait, really.

Offline dhimmi_pride

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2007, 11:52:00 PM »
What do you mean banned? Banned how? by whom? punishable by what?

Halloween is just an ancient Irish harvest festival marking the end of summer (and in some small parts in the west of Ireland is still celebrated as such). It was when the dead would revist the world and people would be able to pray and communicate with them. In Christianity this became All Saints Day. And over time it evolved became ghosts and all that spooky stuff. This does not bother me at all I like Halloween I just don't get why so many girls just take it as an excuse to dress up like sluts.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2007, 11:54:04 PM »
How about getting drunk and whopping it up in costume for allah the moon G-d.just  for plain fun!

Woah, that is one big chip you have on that shoulder. You know there are things that are important and matter, and things that are not, it's very easy to tell the difference. An excuse to dress up, act silly and have some fun isn't.

If you are that threatened by something as innocuous as Halloween, maybe Halloween isn't the problem.
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2007, 12:02:34 AM »

Uh huh, and today it means silly costume, laughs with friends, and the phone number of that cute girl in the Xena the Warrior Princess costume.

I'm starting to sense sour grapes from our party poopers.

Offline Barach Velvel ben Lazer Eliazer

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2007, 12:05:21 AM »
Yes. It's an evil holiday. Figures that evil Hispanics came up with it. What is the purpose of celebrating a day of evil demons and other things of pure evil?

Rabbis have debated on whether or not it is a sin for Jews to participate in such a holiday. The majority decided it was OK, and so the Jewish faith does except the evil of this holiday, sadly. Well, I suppose they saw it from the prespective that the day brings young children great joy receiving candy and dressing up. They're too young to revel in the true essence of the holiday.

A holiday based on evil things is quite unappealing. It's unholy, and not something God would approve.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2007, 12:06:01 AM »
This is a religious forum and we don't condone those things on here.

What partys? Levity? Enjoying life? If that's the case, I'm lucky to be secular.

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2007, 12:06:36 AM »
Does not faith matter here?

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2007, 12:08:13 AM »
Does not faith matter here?

Sure, and if you are secure in your faith, you have nothing to worry about.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2007, 12:14:23 AM »

Is there anything in Jewish or Christian law against a masquerade party? That's a retorecal question because the answer is.. "Of course not."

Well, that is all that Halloween is about a masquerade, having harmless fun, that's it, nothing else, no deeper meaning, if it did mean something 800 years ago or whatever that is long gone now, ask any adult at a Halloween party, ask any kid, not one will say "I'm celebrating a pagan holiday", they'll all say, "fun day, costume, candy". That is the only meaning of it in the contemporary world, and that is what is important, what it means now. 
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 12:15:55 AM by NewYorker »

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2007, 12:16:18 AM »
OH you sinful man!

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2007, 12:19:12 AM »

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2007, 12:20:50 AM »
NO you sinful jew

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2007, 12:21:59 AM »
Hmm, I noticed nobody is attempting to address the points I've made. Means I win the argument.

I expect to see you all at the party then!  :D

Now you can call me sinful!  ;D
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 12:33:05 AM by NewYorker »

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2007, 12:56:43 AM »

Uh huh, and today it means silly costume, laughs with friends, and the phone number of that cute girl in the Xena the Warrior Princess costume.

I'm starting to sense sour grapes from our party poopers.

It's wonderful to hear that a Xena whore princess appeals more to you than an Esther queen. Don't play this game of calling it a simple, innocent "masquerade party." Go and look on the 31st at any college campus and see what the women look like. Halloween is not a masquerade party, it is a worthless excuse for a raunch fest. Ask yourself if a girl who dresses like a prostitute, dumps herself in beer, and goes to parties with these like-minded people is the type of woman you would want to marry. If she's not, then you are certainly not there for the "masquerade."

You are like the guy who says he's just going in the kitchen to help his wife cook.

Well as a 40 year old unmarried man that has never made a vow of celebacy thats what you do, you meet women and date them. You must be young, I can tell, because of the idealism bordering on sanctamoniousness and the reference to college gils. Well I don't know about you but in my situation as I got older I realized that those lofty ideals are un-livable, and compromise is the way, like the kids say, "you get real".  ;)  College campus? Haven't been on one in ooooh 15 years, anyway, the ladys I meet are 30+, we're all adults, married? some of them have been, more than twice, with kids!  :D
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 12:58:15 AM by NewYorker »

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2007, 12:58:04 AM »
dhimmipride:  "...I just don't get why so many girls just take it as an excuse to dress up like sluts..."

No?

They dress up like sluts because they are sluts!

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2007, 01:00:09 AM »
Hello it is pure pagan sin.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2007, 01:04:11 AM »
dhimmipride:  "...I just don't get why so many girls just take it as an excuse to dress up like sluts..."

No?

They dress up like sluts because they are sluts!

Yes, it's this latest generation, they've had two absentee parents both working, or broken homes, got "raised" by the tv. No moral compass, it's not even their fault, how is someone supposed to know right from wrong when nobody showed them to begin with. So, there you go "Girls gone wild". Great. In 20 years when they're alone, no husband, no family, and now no interest from men, it'll hit them that they wasted their lives for cheap attention. Tragic really. I feel for those lost kids. Thankfully my generation wasn't so corrupted.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 01:09:22 AM by NewYorker »

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2007, 01:06:44 AM »
Hello it is pure pagan sin.

Are we still discussing halloween?   ;D

Hey Christianwhitnation are you in the military? I went to your website and saw a lot of military vehicle pics in your gallery.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 01:08:22 AM by NewYorker »

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2007, 01:31:31 AM »

Is there anything in Jewish or Christian law against a masquerade party? That's a retorecal question because the answer is.. "Of course not."

Well, that is all that Halloween is about a masquerade, having harmless fun, that's it, nothing else, no deeper meaning, if it did mean something 800 years ago or whatever that is long gone now, ask any adult at a Halloween party, ask any kid, not one will say "I'm celebrating a pagan holiday", they'll all say, "fun day, costume, candy". That is the only meaning of it in the contemporary world, and that is what is important, what it means now. 

The problem is that everything is commercialized. It's the same way many "Christians" celebrate Christmas but think it's a Secular holiday.

Well you're making my point, it's commercialized and meaningless, that's what makes it harmless the fact that it is meaningless. At this point they could call it Costume Day.   

As for the Christians celebrating Christmas as a secular holiday, I imagine those people are pretty much secular the rest of the time, and religous Christians focus on what the holiday is about.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2007, 01:39:41 AM »

Who gets married or gets to know a woman without dating her? Duh!

Good, glad to see you're wise to the program lol.   :D

You know, 40 years-old really doesn't seem to me the age to give up on that former prospect. And I'm not judging you for feeling the way you do either; perhaps if I were in your situation, I would feel and do the same. I'm young; I already know how it feels to see others around me doing the Xena's phone number thing.

No complaints, those are the cards I was dealt, you take what you get in life, it's how you let it effect you that matters; Ya got nothing but lemons? You make lemonade!  8)

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2007, 01:47:56 AM »

The problem is that everything is commercialized. It's the same way many "Christians" celebrate Christmas but think it's a Secular holiday.

Well you're making my point, it's commercialized and meaningless, that's what makes it harmless the fact that it is meaningless. At this point they could call it Costume Day.   

As for the Christians celebrating Christmas as a secular holiday, I imagine those people are pretty much secular the rest of the time, and religous Christians focus on what the holiday is about.

Well I guess they are self-hating Christians then. They think its just about presents, Christmas trees, and lights while in reality, this are remants of another pagan holiday, The Winter Solstice.

Huh, interesting concept, heard of self hating Jews, never self hating Christians. Actually now that I think about it, there are self hating Christians, and not surprisingly, they're in the same political category as self hating Jews. Self hating Christians are hard left, those "liberal" ACLU types trying to destroy any public symbol of Christianity in this country. So yes, it seems the Christians have their own self hating variety and their in the same club as the self hating Jew.

But back to your categorization, I think they're just secular, the truely self hating try to squash anything to do with Christmas including the secular stuff like decorations.

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2007, 01:51:25 AM »
Rabbis have debated on whether or not it is a sin for Jews to participate in such a holiday. The majority decided it was OK, and so the Jewish faith does except the evil of this holiday, sadly. Well, I suppose they saw it from the prespective that the day brings young children great joy receiving candy and dressing up. They're too young to revel in the true essence of the holiday.

What "rabbis" were they?

A variety of different rabbis from different denominations decided that it was not a sin to take part in Halloween after an ongoing debate. That doesn't mean that this is a view shared by all rabbis, but quite a few do. There's nothing in the Torah to suggest that it is a sin, and that's probably how these rabbis arrived at their decision.

However, the holiday is unholy, based on what it stands for, and from that I conclude that it's just common sense for a good, Torah-true Jew to oppose it. Things like this are tests by God to see if we can determine what is a sin for ourselves.

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2007, 01:56:50 AM »

What "rabbis" were they?

A variety of different rabbis from different denominations decided that it was not a sin to take part in Halloween after an ongoing debate. That doesn't mean that this is a view shared by all rabbis, but quite a few do. There's nothing in the Torah to suggest that it is a sin, and that's probably how these rabbis arrived at their decision.

However, the holiday is unholy, based on what it stands for, and from that I conclude that it's just common sense for a good, Torah-true Jew to oppose it. Things like this are tests by G-d to see if we can determine what is a sin for ourselves.

They were probably Deformed and Conserved.

You can read about the debate at www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org. Enter the library, click on religion and read about the holidays.

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2007, 02:15:32 AM »
It's also worth mentioning that massive amounts of vandilism are committed on Halloween. It's a holiday that basically promotes poor behavior, and encourages evil people to act upon their deplorable urges to destroy and cause misery.

Go outside the day after Halloween every year and you'll see for yourself.