Torah and Jewish Idea > Torah and Jewish Idea

Kippot

(1/9) > >>

admin:
Kippot

The most commonly known and recognized piece of Jewish garb is actually the one with the least religious significance. The word yarmulke (usually, but not really correctly, pronounced yammica) is Yiddish. According to Leo Rosten's The Joys of Yiddish, it comes from a Tartar word meaning skullcap. According to some Orthodox and Chasidic rabbis I know, it comes from the Aramaic words "yerai malka" (fear of or respect for The King). The Hebrew word for this head covering is kippah (pronounced key-pah).

It is an ancient practice for Jews to cover their heads during prayer. This probably derives from the fact that in Eastern cultures, it is a sign of respect to cover the head (the custom in Western cultures is the opposite: it is a sign of respect to remove one's hat). Thus, by covering the head during prayer, one showed respect for G-d. In addition, in ancient Rome, servants were required to cover their heads while free men did not; thus, Jews covered their heads to show that they were servants of G-d. In medieval times, Jews covered their heads as a reminder that G-d is always above them. Whatever the reason given, however, covering the head has always been regarded more as a custom rather than a commandment.

There is no special significance to the yarmulke as a specific type of head covering. Its light weight, compactness and discreteness make it a convenient choice of head gear. I am unaware of any connection between the yarmulke and the similar skullcap worn by the Pope.

Maccabi:
yeah the kippot thing is interesting.

I don't particularly like the way they look, though I occasionally wear one when walking back from Shabbos meals. Eh, they're ok.

I like them on other people and I like seeing other Jewish people wear them around town because it shows they are proud Jews, but as a style, I'm not particularly fond of them.

Actually, I'm not to into the whole Chassidic style either. Again I like it on the rabbis but I probably wouldn't wear it.

Do you think King David ever wore a kippot?
Do you think he wore Tzitzit?
Somehow I can't picture a Hebrew warlord in Chassidic garb or kippot but maybe they wore tzitzit.

Eliezer Ben Avraham:
I think Rav Kahane said that putting on a kippah is a way for a Jew to distinguish himself from a Gentile and recognize his Jewishness by doing so

Dominater96:
I wear a Black Srugah. Just like Rabbi Kahane.

Yisrael ben Avraham:

--- Quote from: JTFMaccabee on October 07, 2007, 08:38:36 AM ---yeah the kippot thing is interesting.

I don't particularly like the way they look, though I occasionally wear one when walking back from Shabbos meals. Eh, they're ok.

I like them on other people and I like seeing other Jewish people wear them around town because it shows they are proud Jews, but as a style, I'm not particularly fond of them.

Actually, I'm not to into the whole Chassidic style either. Again I like it on the rabbis but I probably wouldn't wear it.

Do you think King David ever wore a kippot?
Do you think he wore Tzitzit?
Somehow I can't picture a Hebrew warlord in Chassidic garb or kippot but maybe they wore tzitzit.

--- End quote ---
Well, you know there are so many different styles of kippot. I personally wear a knitted kippah, a big one. Kind of like the ones the judean and samarian settlers wear.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version