Poll

Should Dannycookie be eaten by Cookie Monster?

Sure, eat me!
5 (17.2%)
No, don't eat me!
2 (6.9%)
Dannycookie is a cake for making this thread. When he gets eaten, he'll metamorphisize into a cake rather than a cookie.
6 (20.7%)
Yes, I think Dannycookie should indeed be eaten al yadei Oogie.
2 (6.9%)
He will instead eat Mohammad and the Moon cookie.
5 (17.2%)
Maybe our resident Cookie should be banned.
9 (31%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Another JTF Singles' Mope  (Read 32788 times)

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Another JTF Singles' Mope
« on: October 07, 2007, 09:14:47 PM »
Just want to create a new thread from the Halloween banning thread....

I'll repeat, in my opinion, there is nothing wrong with hitting on anyone...isn't the goal of hitting on someone to eventually go on a date with them?

« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 02:53:57 AM by There Are No 'Israeli' Arabs »
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

kellymaureen

Re: Another JTF Singles' Mope
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 09:19:35 PM »
Lol well for some people it is, for others its a sport :P

Online Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 09:21:42 PM »
As long as you don't physically hit them, it's OK

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 09:23:19 PM »
And as long as you are polite about it...

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 09:26:20 PM »
This thread is not appropriate for a Torah forum.

IT is very appropriate to talk about the proper way to talk to women...Who here who is unmarried want to get married?  I know I do!  Perhaps we can learn a little something...
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 09:29:16 PM »

definitely have to agree with that one. In the Torah/Bible (whether you are Christian or Jewish), hitting on women is not allowed. If you can find me any renown Torah commentator that allows such behavior I will be quiet but til then.......
P.S. deformed rabbis dont count
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 09:31:41 PM »

Why not create a poll on whether or not this is appropriate for a Torah forum?

So this is not appropriate. But banning everything under the sun, and engaging in the most vile and vitriolic racist lashon hora is appropriate for a torah forum? I'm no torah scholar. But I'm pretty sure that this is not the Jewish or Torah way.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 09:32:20 PM »
listen, if hitting on them is with the intention of dating them, what's wrong with that?!  Man, some of you need to get out more.

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 09:34:12 PM »
Not for all Kelly

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 09:35:18 PM »
 :laugh:

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2007, 09:37:47 PM »

definitely have to agree with that one. In the Torah/Bible (whether you are Christian or Jewish), hitting on women is not allowed. If you can find me any renown Torah commentator that allows such behavior I will be quiet but til then.......

Try reading your Torah again, it is as natural for men and women to court each other as it is to breath, for example, Sampson and Delilah, okay that didn't turn out so good, but anyway, cmon, please. Where did you get this puritanical sense of things? It is natural, healthy and human. Maybe it's the term "hittin on" that you are fixating on, the sleazy connontation, well call it something else then.  :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 09:42:43 PM by NewYorker »
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2007, 09:40:04 PM »

Try reading your Torah again, it is as natural for men and women to court each other as it is to breath, cmon, please. Where did you get this puritanical sense of things? It is natural, healthy and human. Maybe it's the term "hittin on" that you are fixating on, the sleazy connontation, well call it something else then.  :)
If the "hitting on" is does with the ultimate intent of marriage that's fine, but if it's not then it is clearly forbidden. Also, "hitting on" multiple women at the same time is also improper
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2007, 09:47:11 PM »
I agree with the above post.  How about flirting?

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2007, 09:47:17 PM »

Try reading your Torah again, it is as natural for men and women to court each other as it is to breath, cmon, please. Where did you get this puritanical sense of things? It is natural, healthy and human. Maybe it's the term "hittin on" that you are fixating on, the sleazy connontation, well call it something else then.  :)
If the "hitting on" is does with the ultimate intent of marriage that's fine, but if it's not then it is clearly forbidden. Also, "hitting on" multiple women at the same time is also improper

Well I'm 40, never been married, and at this point I don't date with an agenda, if one day I'm lucky enough that I meet the girl I can't imagine living without then I'll know it's time to get married, untill then, I haven't made any sort of vow of celibacy. It'd be more of a sin to spend my life alone and miserable and I sure don't plan on doing that. As for multiple women, you don't even buy a car without test driving a couple of different models, why would you marry a woman for life without meeting a few different ones to ultimately compare and choose from first? How do you know what is right and compatible for you without actually finding out? Well I'm secular so it works for me, just add it to my list of sins huh. ;)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 10:32:35 PM by Yacov Menashe Ben Rachamim »

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2007, 09:49:18 PM »
I agree with the above post.  How about flirting?
again it depends on the ultimate intent. Flirting to fill a sexual pleasure is wrong but if the ultimate intent is marriage then its ok
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline takebackourtemple

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 09:51:38 PM »
   I see where you're coming from and think this topic just needs to be reworded properly rather than avoided. It's ok to show affection and interest towards someone of the opposite sex as long as it is in a RESPECTFUL way. The torah does expect us all to marry and have children if possible so finding a mate should be a valid topic to discuss on a religious forum when conducted in a proper context. The problem I have always encountered with the religious when I ask them for help to find someone is that they use religion as an excuse not to help me.
   Getting back to "hitting on a woman", the problem with showing interest becomes where to draw the line. My sister always accuses me of hitting on women when I'm just trying to start simple conversation. Of course just because a woman is attractive and I want to talk to her doesn't mean I'm trying to immediately pursue a relationship. The problem today is that if a guy is not aggressive enough, he does not get the girl. If he is too aggressive, then it becomes harassment. While cases of both extremes are clear, the line between appropriate and inappropriate is not always clear.
   In today's society all a woman has to do to create serious problems for a guy is scream harassment. The problem is that there are so many genuine cases of harassment and abuse where the woman should speak up but doesn't, however, most of the time when the woman has the courage to actually speak up, it is a frivolous claim.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

kellymaureen

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007, 09:52:06 PM »
 :Dsomeone voted for choice 3.....not me though

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2007, 09:52:37 PM »
we are in agreement then...

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2007, 09:53:07 PM »
 LOL at "dannycookie is a shmuck!"  ;D

Offline takebackourtemple

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2007, 09:54:43 PM »
My response is "Only in a moral and respectful manner". Please add that as an option.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

• Master JTFer
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2007, 09:56:19 PM »
Today's society indeed does have problems. The American family is under attack by many feminist groups and domestic battery has become a crime that is widely taken advantage of.
If we allow liberals to continue to make it "OK" to have bastard children etc., the family will disappear.
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2007, 09:58:07 PM »
ITs our choice!

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2007, 10:01:59 PM »
   I see where you're coming from and think this topic just needs to be reworded properly rather than avoided. It's ok to show affection and interest towards someone of the opposite sex as long as it is in a RESPECTFUL way. The torah does expect us all to marry and have children if possible so finding a mate should be a valid topic to discuss on a religious forum when conducted in a proper context. The problem I have always encountered with the religious when I ask them for help to find someone is that they use religion as an excuse not to help me.
   Getting back to "hitting on a woman", the problem with showing interest becomes where to draw the line. My sister always accuses me of hitting on women when I'm just trying to start simple conversation. Of course just because a woman is attractive and I want to talk to her doesn't mean I'm trying to immediately pursue a relationship. The problem today is that if a guy is not aggressive enough, he does not get the girl. If he is too aggressive, then it becomes harassment. While cases of both extremes are clear, the line between appropriate and inappropriate is not always clear.
   In today's society all a woman has to do to create serious problems for a guy is scream harassment. The problem is that there are so many genuine cases of harassment and abuse where the woman should speak up but doesn't, however, most of the time when the woman has the courage to actually speak up, it is a frivolous claim.

it's finding that happy medium...and it depends on the woman's stage in life... of course we can't forget Gd's will

• Master JTFer
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2007, 10:02:33 PM »
Can I take off the danny is a shmuck option?
We shouldn't have personal attacks
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2007, 10:08:33 PM »
I chose in a moral, respectful manner.