Poll

Which of these do you refrain from?

Pre and non-marital hugging.
13 (19.4%)
Pre and non-marital kissing (Including on the cheek.).
11 (16.4%)
Pre-marital sex.
22 (32.8%)
Shaking hands with an attractive member of the opposite sex who is not your spouse.
7 (10.4%)
None of the above.
14 (20.9%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: To What Extent Do You Practice Sexual Modesty?  (Read 52174 times)

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: To What Extent Do You Practice Sexual Modesty?
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2007, 12:15:41 AM »
I refrain from all of those things except I do shake hands with guys if they hold out their hand first.

Does it depend on your intention, though? I mean shaking hands could be wrong if you do not intend for it to be formal.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2007, 12:53:59 AM »
#1,2, and 3. Not 100% on #4 (about shaking hands, but rarely do it anyway.)
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Barach Velvel ben Lazer Eliazer

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2007, 01:04:50 AM »
The hugging, kissing and hand shaking taboos are only a part of Hasidim. They're perfectly acceptable in other demoninations.

I have vast respect for Hasidim, but being of the Orthodox demonination, these particular Hasidim taboos are perfectly acceptable to me.

However, if a Jewish or a Gentile, because this really goes for everybody, feels that psychical contact with a woman would stimulate sexual tention or impure thoughts than it would be best for that individual to reframe from contact with a female.

As long as these actions are in good faith and are merely used as greeting gessures, they're fine, and are often signs of showing respect.

My aunt is good friends with a Hasidic rabbi, who when he goes on business puts aside the handshaking taboo in order to not offend Gentile women, who may not understand such restrictions.

raiseyourfist

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2007, 01:39:53 AM »
I personally don't care for the sex before marriage rule?

I HATE PEOPLE THAT ACT HOLIER THAN THOU JUST BECAUSE THEY THINK THEY ARE DOING THE RIGHT THING...

I think certain rules should be abided by but i don't agree that there should be a prohibition on sex before marriage..

WHAT IF YOU DON'T EVER PLAN TO GET MARRIED LIKE ME?

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2007, 01:48:55 AM »
A wittle bit weird of a question!My sin or not sin is between myself and God.But I wouldn't kiss and tell.LOL

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2007, 01:55:28 AM »
I personally don't care for the sex before marriage rule?

I HATE PEOPLE THAT ACT HOLIER THAN THOU JUST BECAUSE THEY THINK THEY ARE DOING THE RIGHT THING...

I think certain rules should be abided by but i don't agree that there should be a prohibition on sex before marriage..

WHAT IF YOU DON'T EVER PLAN TO GET MARRIED LIKE ME?
Well, this is what's commanded of Jews in the Torah and is commanded of Christians in the bible. Sex outside of wedlock is prohibited.

G-d put us here to add to the population. If one doesn't end up getting married, then, I don't see it being a vast defiance of Jewish law, but it will certainly lead to one breaking Jewish law, just like what you are suggesting. That's why marriage is greatly encouraged. Sex was meant to be performed only by a husband and wife. Nothing else is acceptable. The same goes for Christianity.

raiseyourfist

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2007, 01:57:59 AM »
Yeh i agree it is a law..

I was actually more having a go at people who attack those who are less orthodox and don't exercise such rules

its the staunch religious people i can't stand

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2007, 01:59:09 AM »
Just a bit odd of a question.

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2007, 02:11:02 AM »
Yeh i agree it is a law..

I was actually more having a go at people who attack those who are less orthodox and don't exercise such rules

its the staunch religious people i can't stand
Well those of the Reform movement, the most liberal of the movements, and the movement I consider to be a poor interpretation of Judaism and the Torah, would probably bring up the point you made. Reform Jews are so liberal, they most likely will have sex out of wedlock, because Reform makes so many principles of Jewish law optional. The Torah has set before Jews a number of commands that should be followed. Saying that the word of G-d is optional doesn't sit right with me.

Now being of the Orthodox movement, I must even admit that fulfilling all 613 mitzvot is a challenge and most don't be able to fulfill some. It's our job to fulfill as many as possible. G-d is just testing us to see if we can be as good of Jews as we can possibly be. I realize that some of the mitzvot will surely go unfulfilled by me, but attempting to do as many as possible is worthy of praise.

raiseyourfist

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2007, 02:23:37 AM »
The reform movement is a load of balony...

they have women leading the services on the bimah wearing kippot and tzisit.

The torah is very clear on the laws and ways Jews are meant to abide them..

I just think their are some Jews and Christians that turn people off religion by trying to act holier than thou and not respecting others with less extreme positions on topics like sex before marriage

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2007, 02:53:46 AM »
Im a virgin and will be till I meet miss right.I have 5 kids and a few animals....And Im a good dancer.6'2"190 pounds of healthy mass.OK I don't know where this is going either.disregard!LOL :D

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2007, 03:21:35 AM »
Im a virgin and will be till I meet miss right.I have 5 kids and a few animals....And Im a good dancer.6'2"190 pounds of healthy mass.OK I don't know where this is going either.disregard!LOL :D

Did you adopt the kids?

I figure 12 months in the Jewish equivalent of pergatory is worth a lifetime of sinfullness and fun.  ;)
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2007, 03:25:18 AM »
LOL no there mine. ;)

newman

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2007, 03:28:58 AM »
Pre-marital sex is only a sin for Jews. It's not against the Seven laws of Noah, so all of us gentiles can go for it.  O0

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2007, 03:38:43 AM »
Your r so stupid and I love it

Offline Ultra Requete

• Master JTFer
  • United We Stand, Dived We'll Fall.
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2007, 03:46:03 AM »
Those who sinn with Torah will be judged by Torah, an those who sinn without Torah will die without Torah; the payment for the sinn is death. And purgatory was invented by priests and rabbis. BTW Newman you don't live in the times of Noah. since his times there were convenants with Abraham, Moses, and Yeshua. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 03:51:44 AM by Ultra Requete »
Jeremiah 8:11-17

11 They dress the wound of my people as though it were not serious. Peace, peace, they say, when there is no peace.

12 Are they ashamed of their loathsome conduct? No, they have no shame at all; they do not even know how to blush. So they will fall among the fallen; they will be brought down when they are punished, says the LORD.

13 'I will take away their harvest, declares the LORD. There will be no grapes on the vine. There will be no figs on the tree, and their leaves will wither. What I have given them will be taken from them.'

14 Why are we sitting here? Gather together! Let us flee to the fortified cities and perish there! For the LORD our God has doomed us to perish and given us poisoned water to drink, because we have sinned against him.

15 We hoped for peace but no good has come, for a time of healing but there was only terror.

16 The snorting of the enemy's horses is heard from Dan; at the neighing of their stallions the whole land trembles. They have come to devour the land and everything in it, the city and all who live there.

17 See, I will send venomous snakes among you, vipers that cannot be charmed, and they will bite you, declares the LORD.

Love your Enemy
And Heap Burning Coals on his Head!!!
http://net-burst.net/revenge/love_and_wrath_of_God.htm

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2007, 03:48:51 AM »
Tell us about your self ultra!

Offline Ultra Requete

• Master JTFer
  • United We Stand, Dived We'll Fall.
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2007, 03:52:58 AM »
Tell us about your self ultra!

Look on my introductionary threat and/or my public profile. 8;)
Jeremiah 8:11-17

11 They dress the wound of my people as though it were not serious. Peace, peace, they say, when there is no peace.

12 Are they ashamed of their loathsome conduct? No, they have no shame at all; they do not even know how to blush. So they will fall among the fallen; they will be brought down when they are punished, says the LORD.

13 'I will take away their harvest, declares the LORD. There will be no grapes on the vine. There will be no figs on the tree, and their leaves will wither. What I have given them will be taken from them.'

14 Why are we sitting here? Gather together! Let us flee to the fortified cities and perish there! For the LORD our God has doomed us to perish and given us poisoned water to drink, because we have sinned against him.

15 We hoped for peace but no good has come, for a time of healing but there was only terror.

16 The snorting of the enemy's horses is heard from Dan; at the neighing of their stallions the whole land trembles. They have come to devour the land and everything in it, the city and all who live there.

17 See, I will send venomous snakes among you, vipers that cannot be charmed, and they will bite you, declares the LORD.

Love your Enemy
And Heap Burning Coals on his Head!!!
http://net-burst.net/revenge/love_and_wrath_of_God.htm

newman

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2007, 03:57:41 AM »
BTW Newman you don't live in the times of Noah. since his times there were convenants with Abraham, Moses, and Yeshua. 
According to Torah:..............

The covenent with Noah still stands for both Jew AND gentile, the covenant with Abraham applies ONLY to Jews and there is no such thing as a covenant with 'that other man'.

I'll stick with Torah.

Kiwi

« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2007, 09:11:37 AM »
Well I click none of the above  ::) But I think everyone already knew that  :::D

Erica

« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2007, 10:45:27 AM »

None of the above. Life is to short.  :)
lol... I agree. I don't think there should be a law prohibiting PDA, (public displays of Affection) for anyone. And I don't think it is good to dictate to people when to become intimate with someone else. I think that's a personal decision. If you're religious and your religion dictates that you shouldn't partake of hugging, touching or anything else , physical...then I don't have a problem with you if you don't. I just think its wrong to tell people NOT to do something because you dont' do it.

ETA: I don't think hugging someone, even a girlfriend/boyfriend could/should be considered inherently sexual because its physical contact, either. You could hug someone or kiss someone just because you care about them.

Oh, and I clicked on none of the above because I'm already married. HOWEVER I do shake hands with men who are friends of my husband, or if I'm in a professional setting, with new male co-workers as an introduction. I do that with females also. Why is a handshake or a hug considered sexual, praytell?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 10:49:42 AM by Erica »

Erica

« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2007, 10:50:38 AM »
Did you ever kiss a man before?

I only kissed 2 girls on the cheek. Now I'm happy they didn't let me kiss them on the lips so I can save it for marriage.

Good for you, Yacov.

Erica

« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2007, 11:00:51 AM »
The reform movement is a load of balony...

they have women leading the services on the bimah wearing kippot and tzisit.

The torah is very clear on the laws and ways Jews are meant to abide them..

I just think their are some Jews and Christians that turn people off religion by trying to act holier than thou and not respecting others with less extreme positions on topics like sex before marriage
Great post, raiseyourfist. I'm a Christian but the last thing I expect is for another "Christian" to offer their words of wisdom where it pertains to intimacy w/ my husband. (Trying not to be descriptive.) Before my husband and I were married and had announced our engagement to my church members back in 1994, some female elders, whom I trusted and listened to for sage advice on everything else, pulled me to the side and asked me..."Are you pregnant?" As if my husband couldn't possibly love me and think I'm worthy to be his wife. >:(  Some people need to know when to open their mouths and when to shut them.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 11:51:12 AM by Erica »

raiseyourfist

« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2007, 11:46:57 AM »
i was about to complement you on your posts but you beat me to it... O0

ftf

« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2007, 01:03:49 PM »
Well I voted for just refraining from pre-marital sex, as I personally don't see anything wrong with doing the other things on that list as long as you exercise some constraint and control.

Having said that, the one time a girl wanted to kiss me, I didn't feel comfortable and "chickened out". I have hugged a few girls though, and I really don't see why people think it's a bad thing.