General Category > Ask JTF

Ask JTF For Sunday, January 7, The Week of Chaim's Jewish Birthday.

(1/7) > >>

admin:
BS"D

Dear Chaim,

Happy Birthday! May you live to be 120. Please see my birthday card to you below. It is the same one I gave you for your Secular birthday.

Thank you for answering my question about Noahides and Hanukkah. Are Noahides allowed to light Hanukkah candles?

What is your opinion on women dying their hair? Is it un-healthy for them to dye their hair? I think women shouldn't dye their hair unless it is because they have gray hair because it takes away from their natural beauty.

I previously asked you if you find it attractive for women to use different types of cosmetics. Do you?

What is your opinion on women who have more than one earring per ear? Would you marry such a woman?  I think it is savage to have earrings besides in the ear and she should only have one in each. Men should have none.

Would you marry a woman who was never married and is not a virgin but then became religious? I wouldn't. Are you Shomer Negiah and if not, would you kiss a woman before you get married? You mentioned that you went out on many dates. Were you really religious back then that you refrained from kissing them or are your opinions different now than then?  You mentioned that women were interested in you but you didn't marry them because you knew you would go to prison. Did you mean the women you dated? Did they know that you were bombing Soviet targets? Did that turn off many women?

I made a thread asking people what they think about the fact that Rebekah had a nose earring. I said I would then ask you. It says in The Torah in Parashat Chayei Sarah that Eliezer gave her a nose earring as a gift so she would marry Isaac. When I asked a rabbi why it was allowed, he said that was before The Torah was given but on other things we are told that The Avot and Imahot practiced Halacha even before The Torah was given. I asked him if it was like Abraham gave the angels dairy and meat but he said that Abraham gave the dairy first and then the meat because they practiced it even before The Torah was given. Once, a religious woman on Yahoo Chat told me that HaRav Yisrael Meir Lau, the former Ashkenazic Chief Rabbi of Israel told her that body piercings for women are okay and that is how she justified having a nipple earring. She said as long as it is not exposed and a woman does the piercing, it is okay. She said only genital piercings that would prevent women from enjoying sex and that could hurt the baby when it comes out are forbidden. Needless to say, I agree with the rabbi I asked on this topic. What is your view on Rebekah's nose earring and what Rav Lau said? I have seen religious women in Israel with the facial savagery like the schvartzas and schvartza wanna be's have in America. I mean on the eyes and the nose, etc....

Are Noahide women allowed to wear pants? 

A woman on this forum sent me a follow up to answer some of the questions I asked. I have pasted it below.

--- Quote ---Yacov,

Just so you know, it is possible to have long hair and wear a wig.  The trick is to wear a wig cap, which is just a large stocking into which you tuck your hair.  The wig goes on over that. 

Also, fake acrylic nails are *not* healthy.  The nail cannot breath, and wearing them for a long time can cause infections.  I don't wear them myself, but that's what I've heard.  And speaking of infections, getting manicures can also be risky.  So a woman must be careful where she gets her nails done.  Some places may not sterilize their equipment properly. 

Lisa
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Lisa --- And one more thing, Yacov.  I've heard of people getting Hepatitis from manicures.  I'm inclined to believe it since the manicurists can draw blood when cutting the cuticles with unsterilized instruments. 
--- End quote ---

Yacov Menashe Ben Rachamim,
Chief Administrator.

jsullivan:
Yacov Menashe asked me to post this.

--- Quote from: ItalianZionist on November 13, 2006, 10:20:49 PM ---Dear Chaim,
  Can you give me the legitimate web address of the Talmud on line. If you don't have one at the moment please post it on the forum if you can. Also, do you have any JTF chapters in Los Angeles? I think that once people out there get wind of JTF, you would get much support.
Many thanks

--- End quote ---

What is your opinion on my reply to Italian Zionist?

I believe the quote about being allowed to marry a 3 year old may be correct. But Judaism is not Islam so getting married at that age doesn't mean having sex. I heard at synagogue that Isaac married Rebekah when he was 40 and she was 3 and that explains why it took them 20 years to have kids. Isaac was not Mohammad so he had to wait until Rebekah was a teenager until they had marital relations because marriage back then was based on a marriage agreement and not love. The love came later. Even in more modern times, Jews in Eastern Europe would get engaged as kids using match makers and later marry when they were late teenagers. So Jacob was born when Rebekah was 23. I also think Jacob worked to marry Rachel when she was a kid and they got married when she was a teenager. She only lived to be about 30 something so if you do the math of 21 years, for the years Jacob worked for Lavan, she was very young. Yet we read about how Jacob instantly "fell in love" (To borrow the inaccurate Western phrase.) with her when he met her so maybe years back then weren't the same as now considering Jacob also lived about 175 years and was 60 when he met Rachel yet we picture him as a young man about Rachel's age.

Update: I heard in synagogue that in Biblical times, girls matured faster so they could get married as young as 3 years old but a boy had to be 12. Now girls don't mature until around 12 so they can't get married until they are 12.

Also, Akeidat Yitzhak had to happen because Isaac had Rebekah's soul in him so the akeidah had to happen to knock it out of him and then Rebekah was born so he was able to get married and have kids.

Also, I (Yacov) added the following last week to my first post but you got to it after I already posted it.

There is some bad news. Asher Veisgan, ZT"L, HY"D, the Jew who killed 4 Arabs in Shilo in order to stop the expulsion was murdered in prison. They say he committed suicide with his t'fillin. Do you believe he was murdered?

The below quote is from Yekutiel.

--- Quote ---1- Asher Veisgan found dead in prison cell

We are sorry to inform you of the sudden death of Asher Veisgan. According to the Israeli Prison Authorities, Asher committed suicide with his Tefilin, Friday, Dec. 21, 06. Asher was sentenced to 112 years in prison for killing four Arabs in Shilo "to stop the disengagement/expulsion", July 2005. Asher was influenced by the former GSS Director Avi Dichter, who had said, "It will only take one Jewish settler nut to derail the disengagement by going on a shooting spree against Arabs." At his trial, Asher said, "I was the one nut Dichter was looking for, I am shocked others did not do the same thing. I took action to try and prevent the catastrophic disengagement that will lead to many deaths of innocent Jews and Arabs."

The funeral for Asher will commence at 1:30 PM, Monday Dec. 25th at the Jerusalem Shamgar funeral Parlour.
--- End quote ---

Christian Zionist:
Chaim,

What is your opinion about Eli Cohen?

Should he be declared as a national hero in Israel?  If so why the Israeli Government has not declared him as a national hero?

Also what do you think about the Christian Iraqi pilot Munir Redfa who defected to Israel with his MIG-21 in 1966?

Why we do not see spies like Eli Cohen and defections like that of Munir Redfa today? 

Thanks!

Christian Zionist

Hail Columbia:
Dear Chaim, if you do make aliyah, are you still going to do the Take Back America show?

imaknick:
Chaim,

I wonder if you heard about this: a few years ago in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, a Muslim terrorist took gasoline from a gas station owned by Pakistani Muslims that was across the street from a synagogue and poured the gasoline on the ground by the doorway of the synagogue, wanting to blow the place up.  One of the Pakistani employees of the gas station saw what he was doing and called the police.  A few days later the synagogue commended him.
My question to you now is:  What do you think of the Muslim employee who saved the synagogue? Should he have been commended?  This Muslim obviously did not want any harm to the synagogue or the people, so therefore not all Muslims are killers. Would this be an accurate statement? 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version