Author Topic: 'conservative 'cemetery to admit fags  (Read 3764 times)

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
'conservative 'cemetery to admit fags
« on: March 27, 2007, 11:40:50 AM »
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/842238.html

[quoteMagazine    Week's End    Q&A   Business    Underground    Jewish World    Real Estate    Advertising         

Bookmark to del.icio.us   

Digg It!  new   

NY Jewish seminary to accept gay students

By Shlomo Shamir , Haaretz Correspondent, and Reuters

A Conservative Jewish seminary in New York has agreed to admit gays and lesbians who want to become rabbis and cantors, but declined to take a stand on whether rabbis should officiate at same-sex unions.

The Jewish Theological Seminary announced its decision yesterday, more than three months after the Rabbinical Assembly's Committee on Jewish Law and Standards authorized the ordination of gays and lesbians.

Advertisement

While most Orthodox Jews ban same-sex unions or gay rabbis, and Reform Jews have accepted them for years, Conservative Jews have been split with sentiment growing for acceptance.

A survey commissioned by the seminary and released in January showed 65 percent of Conservative rabbis in favor of allowing gay and lesbian rabbis and cantors compared to 28 percent who were opposed.

"This is really historic. It took a lot of leadership," said Jake Goodman, a member of Keshet, a group at the seminary that has advocated gay rights within the Conservative movement.

The chancellor of the New York seminary, Arnold Eisen, told Haaretz that he made the decision after a long and tedious process of consulting with hundreds of Conservative Jews, rabbis, cantors, educators, students and lay leaders from the United States and abroad. He found there was widespread support for admitting gays to the seminar, he said.

"The immediate issue for congregations and rabbis is whether they are going to do commitment ceremonies. Each congregation will have to decide whether it hires gay and lesbian clergy," Eisen said.

The wider problem is how to remain faithful to tradition and halakha while being part of our society, he said.

][/quote]  LOL imagine a man rabbi married to another man rabbi,what's this all coming to. ??? :o :o
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 11:42:34 AM by mord »
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Re: 'conservative 'cemetery to admit fags
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 12:46:22 PM »
You mean seminary. Or are you wishing the homosexual "rabbis" death?

LOL ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 02:01:42 PM by Yacov Menashe Ben Rachamim »
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 03:16:15 PM »
So was it a mistake or intentional?

Intentional

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 05:08:23 PM »
Lol i was getting confused, myself. Its fitting.
It sickens me when religious groups/organizations begin to tolerate evil. Its worse the encouraging but in this case it is encouraging, as they are allowing them special circumstances and approving of them to mix amongst a religious society. The jews there better rebel against it and teach these gays a lesson. Unless conservative means liberal in America...

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 05:10:42 PM »
It sickens me when religious groups/organizations begin to tolerate evil. Its worse the encouraging but in this case it is encouraging, as they are allowing them special circumstances and approving of them to mix amongst a religious society. The jews there better rebel against it and teach these gays a lesson. Unless conservative means liberal in America...
Recontructionist is the most liberal then comes Reform then comes conservative then comes orthodox then comes various forms of hassidic

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 05:11:21 PM »
What are you?

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 05:13:53 PM »
I was brought of Orthodox but when i joined the U.S. military i became less orthodox .But i lean towards orthodox still

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline dawntreader

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 06:40:31 PM »

I personally was raised in a Conservative background. I have since rather moved away from it in some regards. I don't think necessarily towards the Orthodox stance...but more politically and yeah, even more religiously conservative than the "Conservative" movement in the States.

I would tend to say that there is very little room to argue that the Torah She BiCh'sav condemns homosexuality. Any "movement"...whether it belongs to a liberal branch such as Reform, or an Ultra Conservative Branch like the Hassidim...that breaks with what the Torah actually says and imposes their own rules is in error in my opinion.

(For those that wonder...I hold the Torah She BiCh'sav to be Torah. The Torah She Baal Peh, I don't hold as highly in regard.) I'm not a Karaite, but I have begun looking in that direction personally.
Victory is a thing of the will. -General Ferdinand Foch

Our peace must be a peace of victors, not of the vanquished.
- General Ferdinand Foch

We have met the enemy and they are ours.
- Oliver Hazard Perry

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 06:30:11 AM »

It's probably confusing for non-Jews but a lot of the people now in the Conservative Movement are liberals. 

The conservative movement was founded as a traditional movement and to follow the Torah and halakah.  Gradually during the last couple decades, liberals (including feminists) have been hijacking the movement. 

The reform movement doesn't give Torah or halakah a priority.  Liberals are insecure and so some of them joined the conservative movement so they could tell themselves that they follow Torah and halakah.  Now, these liberals are basically trying to replicate the reform movement.