Author Topic: Question on Castration of animals for non-Jews- an answer I found)  (Read 5289 times)

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member

Subdividing the Seven Laws

Various rabbinic sources have different positions on the way the seven laws are to be subdivided in categories. Maimonides (Melakhim 10:6 of the Mishneh Torah) lists one additional Noahide commandment forbidding the coupling of different kinds of animals and the mixing of trees. Maimonides commentator Radbaz expressed surprise that he left out castration and sorcery which were listed in the Talmud (Sanhedrin 56b).

The tenth-century rabbi Saadia Gaon added tithes and levirate marriage. The eleventh-century Rav Nissim Gaon included "listening to God's Voice," "knowing God" and "serving God" besides going on to say that all religious acts that can be understood through human reasoning are obligatory upon Jew and Gentile alike. The fourteenth-century rabbi Nissim ben Reuben Gerondi added the commandment of charity.

The sixteenth-century work Asarah Maamarot by Rabbi Menahem Azariah of Fano (Rema mi-Fano) enumerates thirty commandments, listing the latter 23 as extensions of the original seven. Another commentator (Kol Hidushei Maharitz Chayess I, ch. 10) suggests these are not related to the first seven, nor based on scripture, but were passed down by oral tradition. The number 30 derives from the statement of the Talmudic sage Ulla in tractate Hullin 92a, though he lists only three other rules in addition to the original seven, consisting of the prohibitions against homosexuality and cannibalism, as well as the imperative to honor the Torah.

The tenth-century Shmuel ben Hophni Gaon lists thirty Noahide commandments based on Ulla's Talmudic statement, though the text is problematic. He includes the prohibitions against suicide and false oaths, as well as the imperatives related to prayer, sacrifices and honoring one's parents. The commandments, according to Shmuel ben Hophni Gaon, cover:

Prohibition against idolatry
 No idolatry to other gods
 To pray to Hashem
 To offer ritual sacrifices only to Hashem

Prohibition against blasphemy
 To believe in the singularity of God (Monotheism)
 No blasphemy
 No witchcraft
 No soothsayers
 No conjurers
 No sorcerers
 No mediums
 No demonology
 No wizardry
 No necromancy
 To respect father and mother

Prohibition against murder
 No murder
 No suicide
 No Moloch worship (infant sacrifice)

Prohibition against theft
 No stealing

Prohibition against sexual immorality
 Formal legal marriages
 No adultery
 No incest
 No sodomy (i.e. homosexuality)
 No bestiality
 Not to crossbreed animals
No castration

Prohibition against eating the limb of a living animal
 Not to eat a limb of a living creature (whilst it is still alive)
 Not to eat or drink blood
 Not to eat carrion (for those recognized by a Beth Din)

Establish Courts of Justice
 To establish courts and a system of justice
 No false oaths

The contemporary Rabbi Aaron Lichtenstein counts 66 instructions, but Rabbi Harvey Falk has suggested that much work remains to be done in order to properly identify all of the Noahide commandments, their divisions and subdivisions.

Theft, robbery and stealing covers the appropriate understanding of other persons, their property and their rights. The establishment of courts of justice promotes the value of the responsibility of a corporate society of people to enforce these laws and define these terms. The refusal to engage in unnecessary lust or cruelty demonstrates respect for the creation itself as renewed after the flood. To not murder includes the prohibition against human sacrifice.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Question on Castration of animals for non-Jews- an answer I found)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 10:52:58 PM »
castration? Really?
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 10:54:46 PM »
castration? Really?

Yes, we debated this in the forum several months ago {last year} concerning whether it is permitted for a Jew to nueter or spay an animal. It was stated that this may be a violation of the noachide laws, and Tag MahirTzedek has provided several opinions on the matter here.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 11:03:46 PM »
I'm not sure what the law is (maybe you're correct) but isn't "castration" as you quote it here talking about people?

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 01:33:36 AM »
So it is a sin for the criminal justice system to castrate rapists, pedophiles, etc.? Somehow I don't quite accept that.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 07:50:59 AM »
So it is a sin for the criminal justice system to castrate rapists, pedophiles, etc.? Somehow I don't quite accept that.

These people should be executed. And I don't know exactly what the answer would be and how you presented it, but its like saying of a murderer- how are you going to kill him if their is a prohibition against murder? Obviously the law in this case would be to execute the murderer.

And KWRBT- I believe both people and animals.
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 11:30:34 AM »
I think dogs and cats have already done the be fruitful and multiply thing several times over the amount where people can properly care for them. This is cruel and spaying and neutering is the kindness now. Since I don't believe in Noahide laws I'm going to continue to capture feral cats and get them spayed and neutered. I'm releasing another one today. We caught her just in time. She was going into heat already and would have had another litter on the streets (most of which would likely have died very young) who would have had nobody to feed them and who would have caused a public nuisance for our neighbors.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 12:18:23 PM »
Gentiles are allowed to neuter animals and in past times it was even permissible for Jews to temporarily sell a bull to a gentile and buy it back an ox.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 01:53:45 PM »
Gentiles are allowed to neuter animals and in past times it was even permissible for Jews to temporarily sell a bull to a gentile and buy it back an ox.

Where did you get this from?

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 02:14:57 PM »
Where did you get this from?
You can google it. I first heard it from some friends who are religious Jews.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 03:39:08 PM »
You can google it. I first heard it from some friends who are religious Jews.

Google is NOT the best place to look for Jewish beliefs. There is a lot of bogus information masquerading as Jewish but it is really Christian or even new-age...

Here is further argument against your position:

http://www.askmoses.com/en/article/277,18677/Is-it-permitted-to-neuter-or-spay-a-pet.html
Is it permitted to neuter or spay a pet?
by Rabbi Naftali Silberberg

It is forbidden to spay or neuter any animal. The prohibition of castrating male animals is clearly stated in the Torah,1 "One whose testicles are squeezed, crushed, torn or cut, you shall not offer to G-d [as a sacrifice], nor should you do these [practices] in your land."

The rabbis forbade spaying a female animal too.

And:

http://www.askmoses.com/en/article/415,2101318/Too-many-stray-cats-I-believe-Torahs-view-on-spaying-and-neutering-should-be-changed.html

Too many stray cats...I believe Torah's view on spaying and neutering should be changed?

Question:

I can understand where you are coming from with the torah stating that it is not right to spay or neuter animals. However, there are millions of animals who are running around the streets with no homes and no one to love them at all. Cats go into heat every month therefore they get pregnant and need I repeat myself there are too many unwanted, unloved animals and no one to take care of them. I disagree with the torah on this one and changes must be made here.

Answer:

I can understand where you are coming from with your compassion towards animals. As a matter of fact, the Torah is proud of you because you are concerned about animals. I disagree with your notion/suggestion that changes must be made to the Torah.

Now, let me ask you a question: say we were to change this law because YOU feel it is wrong. What about those who feel that homosexuality shouldn't be prohibited? What about those who feel adultery and/or incest should be allowed? What about those who think it would be a good idea to eat on Yom Kippur? Or how about those who dislike circumcision?

You see, the Torah is supposed to mold our lives; we are not supposed to mold the Torah.

We come and go. Our understanding of issues vary from year to year and era to era. But G-d is eternal and His Torah is unchanging.

When we see things differently than the Torah it is our perspective that needs further education, not the Torah.

See also : http://www.daat.ac.il/daat/english/halacha/jachter_1.htm

I think this discusses the opinion you expressed:

A practical difference between these two opinions is whether one may instruct a non-Jewish veterinarian to remove an animal's reproductive organs in order to alleviate the animal's suffering due to sickness. Whereas one may not violate a biblical prohibition to alleviate an animal's suffering, it would appear that one may violate the rabbinic prohibition to ask a non-Jew to do what a Jew may not do in order to alleviate suffering.33 Since Beit Shmuel, considered to be one of the most authoritative commentaries on the Even Haezer section of Shulchan Aruch, rules that one must consider the opinion which asserts that non-Jews are forbidden to remove reproductive organs, one should not ask a non-Jew to remove an animal's reproductive organs even to alleviate suffering.

Nevertheless, there are a number of possible solutions to this problem. Some of the most prominent halachic authorities34 of the nineteenth century record (with varying degrees of approval) a common practice among observant Jews who owned animals for commercial purposes. This involved selling an animal to a non-Jew and instructing this non-Jew to ask another non-Jew to spay the animal. The purpose of this procedure is to create a situation of "aiding an aider" (lifnei delifnei iver) - encouraging one person to encourage another to violate a Torah law - which is not a violation of "do not put a stumbling block in front of the blind."35 It also creates a situation of "amira leamira leakum" - instructing a non-Jew to instruct another non-Jew to perform an act a Jew may not do - which many authorities believe to be permissible.36 In addition, by transferring title of the animal to a non-Jew, one avoids the rabbinic penalty which requires one who has had his animal's reproductive organs removed to sell the creature.37

Although many contemporary halachic authorities38 believe it inappropriate to utilize this procedure with household pets for purposes of convenience (e.g. to eliminate unwanted litters or to prevent the animal from trying to leave the house), it is quite possible that one may do so if it is necessary to alleviate an animal's suffering due to sickness. Aruch Hashulchan would very likely agree with this conclusion since he rules that non-Jews are not forbidden to remove reproductive organs. Beit Shmuel might also agree since in using this procedure one may avoid violating "do not put a stumbling block in front of the blind." In addition, there is greater room for leniency when a female pet is involved since many authorities believe neutering a female to be a rabbinic prohibition, and a minority opinion (Taz, Even Haezer 5:6) believes that one is permitted to neuter a female animal if the procedure is performed for the creature's benefit.

A different solution to this problem has been offered by Rabbi I. Y. Unterman (Otzar Haposkim I, pp. 164-165). He describes a procedure of neutering which he believes constitutes only a rabbinic prohibition since it does not involve direct removal of reproductive organs. Instead, the blood supply to the testicles is eliminated, the testicles begin to shrivel, and the animal is rendered sterile. Rabbi Unterman asserts that one who performs this procedure violates the prohibition indirectly (grama) which is permitted on a Torah level and forbidden by the rabbis. The authorities who rule that non-Jews are forbidden to neuter animals concede that non-Jews are forbidden only to perform biblically forbidden acts of neutering. Non-Jews are not required to follow rabbinic legislation since, unlike Jews, they are not obligated to adhere to rabbinic rulings. According to this approach, one does not violate the prohibition of enabling another to sin if one instructs a non-Jew to perform this procedure. In addition, Rabbi Unterman writes that the prohibition to instruct a non-Jew to perform an act forbidden to a Jew does not apply to rabbinic prohibitions (other than the rabbinic prohibitions associated with the observance of Shabbat).39 Therefore, he rules that one may instruct a non-Jew to neuter an animal in this indirect manner. However, Rabbi Unterman cautions against implementing his opinion until eminent halachic authorities concur with this ruling. Hence, competent halachic guidance must be sought regarding whether one may follow this ruling.

The best solution to this problem seems to be the use of one of the many newly developed (though still experimental) alternatives to castration and ovariohysterectomy which do not involve removal (direct or indirect) of reproductive organs.40 There appears to be no halachic opposition to these methods since the animals are only rendered infertile. The prohibition of "sirus" appear to apply only to the removal of reproductive organs and not to causing the animal to become infertile. One must consult a competent halachic authority to ascertain the permissibility of any of these procedures.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 07:19:30 PM »

Not really.  Clonsider the fact that murder is forbidden but punishment for some crimes is death.  I think it makes sense (castration) as a legal punishment for pedophiles meted out by beit din hagadol ( if it existed).  Icertainly think gentile courts should consider it.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 07:22:49 PM »
I have to check again but Isn't that pasuk (verse) about the kohen who will perform sacrifical service, not about animals being offered?

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 11:12:54 PM »
But why would that apply to Gentiles, Muman? That column looks like it is geared towards Jews.

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 11:42:41 PM »
I want to make this simple. Can I as a Noachide neuter cattle, or not? If not... What can you do with all of your bulls?
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 11:56:22 PM »
I want to make this simple. Can I as a Noachide neuter cattle, or not? If not... What can you do with all of your bulls?

Its hard to tell because of these 2 statements
"Maimonides (Melakhim 10:6 of the Mishneh Torah) lists one additional Noahide commandment forbidding the coupling of different kinds of animals and the mixing of trees. Maimonides commentator Radbaz expressed surprise that he left out castration and sorcery which were listed in the Talmud (Sanhedrin 56b)."

"The tenth-century Shmuel ben Hophni Gaon lists thirty Noahide commandments based on Ulla's Talmudic statement, though the text is problematic."

But it would seem to me to indicate no. If you want to find out I suggest you contact a Rav who is familiar and expert in these laws. I believe Rabbi Chaim Richman is.

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 12:11:51 AM »
Rabbi Chaim Richman is one of my favorite Rabbis.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2012, 01:44:08 AM »
But why would that apply to Gentiles, Muman? That column looks like it is geared towards Jews.

Yes, the first quotes were answers as to whether a Jew is permitted to nueter or spay their pets. The second quote mentions that some Halachic opinions are that this prohibition also applies to Noachides.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2012, 05:07:59 AM »
Yes, the first quotes were answers as to whether a Jew is permitted to nueter or spay their pets. The second quote mentions that some Halachic opinions are that this prohibition also applies to Noachides.

And nevertheless there are other halachic opinions. In Israel for example, there is at least one rabbi who ruled that it is permissible to neuter street cats to prevent them from becoming a plague (hebrew source: http://www.nrg.co.il/online/1/ART2/209/673.html).

If you read between the lines of the situation in Israel, it is obvious that the Charedim are not exactly fighting such projects even though their leader rabbi Eliashiv ruled in principle against neutering street cats. (hebrew source http://www.nrg.co.il/online/1/ART2/205/974.html).

So the bottom line is that gentiles, if they actually care or seek rabbinical approval, can carry one neutering and spaying their pets and their street cats with clear conscience.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 07:12:12 AM »
The street cats/feral cats should all be spayed and neutered because their babies won't be born into loving homes and even pets should be because there aren't enough available loving homes for the puppies and kittens being born even in domestic situations.

My dream would be for dogs and cats to reproduce at such a rate to where there would only be enough of them for as many good homes as there were available and that this would also raise their individual value in people's eyes to where they were treated with more respect as individual animals too even though people should show them respect as God's creatures anyway.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 08:06:27 AM »
The street cats/feral cats should all be spayed and neutered because their babies won't be born into loving homes and even pets should be because there aren't enough available loving homes for the puppies and kittens being born even in domestic situations.

Where is their a rule that they should be at home and at loving homes as you put it? I would think that animals are more free being free and not confined.
 We don't play G-D. Let G-D through nature deal with it.
 I'm reminded of PETA and the fact that they kill(ed) animals yett they "protest" what they call animal cruelty.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 08:22:00 AM »
Where is their a rule that they should be at home and at loving homes as you put it? I would think that animals are more free being free and not confined.
 We don't play G-D. Let G-D through nature deal with it.
 I'm reminded of PETA and the fact that they kill(ed) animals yett they "protest" what they call animal cruelty.

Dogs and cats were taken out of nature and modified from nature and are different types of animals from what they once were.

I'm not saying to go out into the Egyptian desert, round up all the wild desert cats and spay and neuter them. Nor am I saying to go into the wilds of Eurasia and gather up the wild wolves and spay and neuter them.  The ancestral types of these animals are wild animals that have every right to reproduce in nature and be left to their own devices.

Domestic dogs and cats however were an artificial creation, bred to be that way by humankind, and specialized to our needs. Human beings, not nature, are responsible for them. As human beings took cats out of the Egytian desert and wolves from the Eurasian wilderness and domesticated them, the domesticated descendants of these animals are the responsibility of human beings to make sure they're cared for, fed, sheltered, protected from abuse, and have their population kept to sustainable levels.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2012, 02:28:23 AM »
Dogs and cats were taken out of nature and modified from nature and are different types of animals from what they once were.

I'm not saying to go out into the Egyptian desert, round up all the wild desert cats and spay and neuter them. Nor am I saying to go into the wilds of Eurasia and gather up the wild wolves and spay and neuter them.  The ancestral types of these animals are wild animals that have every right to reproduce in nature and be left to their own devices.

Domestic dogs and cats however were an artificial creation, bred to be that way by humankind, and specialized to our needs. Human beings, not nature, are responsible for them. As human beings took cats out of the Egytian desert and wolves from the Eurasian wilderness and domesticated them, the domesticated descendants of these animals are the responsibility of human beings to make sure they're cared for, fed, sheltered, protected from abuse, and have their population kept to sustainable levels.

What you just said about cats and dogs could (and in some cases) is said about people as well. Just look at the communists and limiting children.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2012, 07:14:28 AM »
What you just said about cats and dogs could (and in some cases) is said about people as well. Just look at the communists and limiting children.

Humans have much greater individual rights and should not be forced to be sterilized unless there's a very good reason to do so and unusual circumstance. Way too many people have had that type of thing forced on them and 99% of the time it's a major human rights violation.

Think of how a parent is responsible for their child. They brought that child into the world and the child is completely dependent on them. I think that's similar to how humanity should think of domestic animals, with respect and kindness but also responsible management. Even food animals should be raised in humane conditions and killed as painlessly as possible when it's time to harvest their meat. Pet animals like dogs, cats, and horses should have loving homes with non-abusive owners who care for their needs.  Of course I don't mean to equate children and animals. Children obviously have infinitely greater value than any animal. Just that they are similarly depending on adult humans for their care and meeting their needs.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2012, 06:38:08 AM »
Its hard to tell because of these 2 statements
"Maimonides (Melakhim 10:6 of the Mishneh Torah) lists one additional Noahide commandment forbidding the coupling of different kinds of animals and the mixing of trees. Maimonides commentator Radbaz expressed surprise that he left out castration and sorcery which were listed in the Talmud (Sanhedrin 56b)."

But what does sorcery have to do with animals?   Prohibition to perform sorcery is a din on people. Perhaps we need to examine the Talmudic passage and see what it's talking about.  Noahides are certainly forbidden from castrating people (this was done in roman times to produce eunichs for example for their high pitched singing)