Author Topic: TradeMe's DIY private army  (Read 1457 times)

Kiwi

TradeMe's DIY private army
« on: October 19, 2007, 03:45:22 AM »
TradeMe's DIY private army
12:00PM Friday October 19, 2007
By Matt Greenop
Need night vision capabilities? Online auctions can help out at only $1200 for this high-spec scope.

Need night vision capabilities? Online auctions can help out at only $1200 for this high-spec scope.

Since police raids uncovered alleged paramilitary training camps tucked away in the Ureweras, online marketplaces like TradeMe have come under the microscope for the easy access they provide to militaristic equipment.

Police used records from online auctions for purchases of military-style goods while getting searching warrants for houses raided in the sweeping national operation.

But just how hard is it for a megalomaniacal wannabe general to equip a private army by just logging on to the internet?

Not very, it would seem.

Getting the look right isn't hard - an army day pack can be yours for all of $30 and you can pick up army surplus canteens and mess kits by the dozen.

A full American set of camouflage gear, unworn and well-suited to New Zealand bush was listed on TradeMe with a buy now price of just $105.

It can get a bit chilly in the Ureweras, so once again the US army can answer your needs with a sleeping bag which, according to the seller, was developed after American troops discovered that Europe was too cold in WW2.

Chest webbing - again genuine army issue - is a cheap way of completing the look for under $100.

A pair of size 9 Australian army boots again at the magic $100 mark are perfect for keeping most types of Antipodean foot warm.

Then there's the serious stuff - GPS units are in abundance, as are compasses for those wanting an authentic freedom fighter feel.

GPS, obviously, is far more accurate, but flares and protein bars are available for the old school revolutionaries just in case orienteering skills aren't as sharp as they should be.

The sports equipment section is the place to go for climbing equipment and even a parachute or hang glider for those who feel like exploring their inner Bond.

Gun City's listing are where the serious business starts.

There are weapons for sale, but only of the sporting variety and only to those who have got the right paperwork.

A Clayton's approach comes in the form of realistic-looking BB guns and soft air guns - but these aren't going to work effectively in the real world, and waving one around will attract the same Police charges as the genuine article.

You can, however, pick up gems like bayonets to fit the FR7, FR8 Spanish Mausers and the Cetme assault rifles.

A silencer will only set you back a modest $35-$40.

But if you are already armed, online auctions can furnish would-be warmongers with a nightvision scope (pictured) to add to the arsenal.

The American Technologies Network Aries MK330 Warrior is, according to the spiel "an affordable, high quality 1st. generation weapon sight."

"It sports features such as a new super fast front lens system for optimal brightness, easy push button operation and a reticle brightness adjustment.

"The Warrior also comes with our new detachable, most powerful in the industry 450mw Infrared Illuminator with dedicated windage and elevation adjustments."

Sold? All yours for a shade under $1200.

If you're from a well-funded militant organisation
, you can take the next step, and fork out a huge $16,998 for military-spec NVG7-XR5 night vision goggles - but if the budget doesn't stretch that far, there's always lay-by.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10470469

:::D Nothing like laybuying $$$

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: TradeMe's DIY private army
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 08:39:13 AM »
Do you mean Lay away?

Kiwi

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 09:11:53 AM »
Do you mean Lay away?

Yes I think thats what you would call it. Lay-by here is when you get the shop to put it aside and you pay x amount per week or fortnight off the price until you paid it off, and can collect the item. Generally its 3 to 6 months time.

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 09:14:15 AM »
Same thing cool! ;)you have some great pics .How do you decide to have a web site like yours.What is your military history?

Kiwi

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 10:31:36 AM »
My site  ;D A friend who I joke with alot, Aussie/Kiwi stuff was getting deployed alot, so he wanted a site we can use with the knowledge that its military run and stays in safe hands. SO I created Allied Forces, I took over another site, and the domain is on another countries defence server. And the site was created.

Its to support the troops over the world safely for my Active military members as well as retired Vets.

Civvies are welcome of course, but there are forums off the public view, such as the adult section, military only, and forum council.

I do body recovery  ;), Field Unit, and Training  8;).