Author Topic: How you celebrate Hannukah or Christmas  (Read 1096 times)

Offline MasterWolf1

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
How you celebrate Hannukah or Christmas
« on: November 04, 2007, 05:07:03 PM »
Depending on your faith, what are your common traditions you do when you celebrate either holidays?

For Christmas, on Christmas Eve I will go out for dinner with my folks and some friends and wait till midnight to catch mass from the Vatican we open one gift on midnight and on Christmas day a nice breakfast, mass, open gifts and relax the rest of the day.
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

kellymaureen

Re: How you celebrate Hannukah or Christmas
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 05:24:21 PM »
Christmas eve we see my mothers side of the family, dinner at her brothers house or sometimes at my moms.  Christmas morning we spend all together at my moms house, we open presents and have a nice breakfast.  We go to my grandmothers (dads side) house where it is a HUGE affair, my dad has 9 brothers and 4 sisters...all married now with their own families so there are lots of us for dinner, we open gifts, visit, have a nice dinner.  Its a nice family holiday for all of us, I look forward to it every year.

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 11:22:32 PM »
Well, when I aimed to convert I celebrated Hanukah by lighting the Menorah at my door. Then sometimes I lit it inside the room, witthout bracha, since it would be in vain. That's how the Rav said a Noahide could light it. I did it in some years.
Gregorian Feasts? Only the New Year with some firework with my neighbours. And sometimes the beggining of seasons. In fact Christmas was originally the Winter/Summer Soltice.
When I was child I celebrated the 5th of July (two first weeks of winter here) and devoted the day to prepare my garden for the spring.

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 11:42:46 PM »
Rav Kahane wrote an article "Down with hannukah", because hannukah is the most overdone Jewish holiday, it really has little significance
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 12:08:02 AM »
lou13ss:  "...Rav Kahane wrote an article "Down with hannukah", because hannukah is the most overdone Jewish holiday..."

Please read Rabbi Kahane's article again, and read it more carefully.

Kahane details how the secular Jewish communities have distorted the true meaning of the holiday into an unrecognizable "Jewish Christmas" so Jewish kids won't feel left out of the winter festivities practiced by the majority population.

His premise is that American rabbis should ban Hannukah completely, because of the fact that its message teaches that Torah believing Jews successfully fought a bloody intenecine civil war against their secular Jewish fellow citizens rather than assimilate into secular Greek culture.

He (mockingly) suggests that the rabbis ban the holiday before their congregations learn the truth and become activist Jews and begin to fight for traditions again.