Author Topic: Third kiwi killing angers Stewart Islanders  (Read 651 times)

Kiwi

Third kiwi killing angers Stewart Islanders
« on: January 17, 2008, 03:55:33 AM »
Third kiwi killing angers Stewart Islanders
5:00AM Thursday November 15, 2007
By Jarrod Booker
Dog attacks

A third killing of a kiwi by dogs on Stewart Island has angered residents and Department of Conservation staff.

The island is one of the few places left where the bird thrives but, in recent months, dogs belonging to residents have developed a taste for the brown kiwi living around the island's most populated area of Halfmoon Bay.

"Evidence suggests that once a dog gets a taste for kiwi that the killings will continue," said DoC Stewart Island field centre supervisor Sharon Pasco.

The latest kiwi killed, a large female, was discovered near an island airstrip on Sunday.

DoC staff said it was apparent the kiwi put up a "valiant fight" after being chased for about 70m.

Prints nearby confirmed a dog "about the size of a fox terrier" was responsible.

"This is the third kiwi killed by dogs around the village in the past 18 months," Mrs Pasco said.

"I've fielded a number of calls from irate residents since the first dead kiwi was found, including a number from people who have dogs and are concerned that their pets are being branded kiwi killers just because a few irresponsible dog owners let their dogs roam."

Island resident Isabelle Broughton discovered a dead kiwi while out walking with her granddaughter in July.

"I have been watching kiwi come out ... at night for more than three years, so I wanted to show my granddaughter where I go to see them," Mrs Broughton said.

"I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the lifeless body in the middle of the field.

"I'm absolutely appalled that one or two people who live here just don't appear to have any regard for the birdlife and how precious it is."

Southland District Council animal control officer Paul Bell said the council had a zero tolerance of roaming dogs on Stewart Island and would prosecute owners whenever possible.

Mrs Pasco said the dog attacks put in peril hopes of a large brown kiwi population establishing itself near Halfmoon Bay.

"We're pleading for dog owners to keep control of their dogs at all times."

Unbelievable people not taking care of their animals, and they destroy a rare bird  >:(

We are losing not only our culture but who we are, then the last Kiwi dies so does the soul of the country.