Author Topic: Scientists close to creating life after piecing together giant DNA jigsaw  (Read 2048 times)

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
The creation of artificial life is only a step away after the controversial biologist Craig Venter announced yesterday that his team had successfully synthesised the entire genetic code of a bacterium.

By piecing together the 582,970 DNA letters of Mycoplasma genitalium from scratch, Dr Venter has completed the second of three stages required to produce a man-made organism.

Last year his J. Craig Venter Institute in Rockville, Maryland, made the first move towards this ambitious goal by transforming one microbe into another by substituting its DNA with that of a close relative. The final step will now be to use this genome transplant procedure to place the newly built artificial chromosome into a bacterial cell. This will create a life form with biological instructions written entirely by humans.

Efforts to achieve this have already begun, and the team hopes for success within months. Dr Venter, who courted controversy with his project to sequence the human genome for profit, wants to create artificial organisms so that he can synthesise new species of bacteria that produce environmentally friendly fuels such as hydrogen.

He has commissioned independent bioethicists to review his project. Critics have raised concerns that the technology could either deliberately or accidentally produce virulent new germs.

In a study published in the journal Science, a team led by Daniel Gibson and Hamilton Smith made fragments of DNA from its chemical ingredients. These were then grown inside yeast cells to assemble them in the order of the genome of M. genitalium, which is so called as it was first found living in the urethra. Its genome contains 18 times more DNA letters than the next biggest that has been built in the laboratory.

“We have completely synthesised a chromosome, and we can now try to boot it up in a cell,” Dr Venter said. “There are still barriers to this – it’s not a slam dunk, or we’d be announcing it today. But we are confident they can be overcome.”

To create the first artificial microbe, which the scientists are calling Mycoplasma labatorium, the synthetic genome will be inserted into a related species of bacterium that will serve as a host. Previous experiments have shown that doing this cancels the genetic code of the host cells and replaces it with the added genome.

The first synthetic life form will have an almost identical genetic code to the natural version of M. genitalium, but its DNA will have come “from chemicals in bottles”, Dr Venter said. It would also contain extra bits of nonfunctioning DNA added to assist the assembly process.

In the longer term Dr Venter plans to use the same technique to design genomes with specific purposes in mind that would be inserted into host cells to make entirely new microbes.

Dr Smith, who won the Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine in 1978, said: “We have shown that building large genomes is now feasible and scalable so that important applications such as biofuels can be developed.”

newman

These scientists are obsessed with whether they 'can' do something. They never ask if they 'should' do something!

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
These scientists are obsessed with whether they 'can' do something. They never ask if they 'should' do something!

True!

Messing around with genes will only bring about destruction. Why can't they be looking for cures or something more beneficial instead.

Offline Kananga

• Senior JTFer
I don't mean to stray off topic, but does anyone here know what the ruling is on cloned meat and milk?  Can meat or milk from a cloned animal be kosher?

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
Yes they try to "create" life, yet they are all in the hands of G-d.

And the whole cloning issue. I don't know if its consider it kosher since its not the actual natural animal, just a copy. But who knows.

Isn't cloning not really creating life? I mean, its like if I make a copy of a paper in a xerox machine, I get a new copy of it, but I didn't actually create a new paper.
All of this is just crazy in my opinion.

Creating life is creating out nothing. Copying life is still quite a big step but not creating.

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
Scary stuff.

Offline JTFFan

• Ultimate JTFer

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
Not sure why it's scary, if we weren't intended to create life, why would God allow it?

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Identical twins are natural clones. A cloned animal is just the same as an identical twin in theory.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Not sure why it's scary, if we weren't intended to create life, why would G-d allow it?

Maybe I'm not well-informed enough on this topic, but I don't see how this is considered creating life.  Or how this is really so unique?  They took a microbe, sequenced its DNA, then built its DNA sequence synthetically (none of this new), then will now place the chromosome into a bacterium to grow more of the microbe.  DNA sequencing, gene splicing, and recombinant DNA procedures are not new.  Maybe because they put together an entire genome?  And because a microbe is so small it can be harvested within a bacterium, so rather than a gene sequence it will be a full organism spliced in?  But they certainly aren't "creating life."  All they did was make a microbe in the laboratory that they found existing in a urethra.  They didn't 'create' the microbe.  They found it and manufactured a copy.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: Scientists close to creating life after piecing together giant DNA jigsaw
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 01:32:13 AM »
The point is even if they're just manufacturing a copy right now, being able to make an entire genome from scratch means you can pretty much make anything as advances are made. You can engineer designer species. Think of the useful animals we have now, say, honeybees, horses, etc.

What they are saying is that we could simply make a species from scratch, eventually, that would be just as or even more useful than these natural ones.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008, 02:25:49 AM »
being able to make an entire genome from scratch means you can pretty much make anything...

What they are saying is that we could simply make a species from scratch, eventually, that would be just as or even more useful than these natural ones.

I see your point but... Making a genome from scratch is a far cry from manufacturing a copy of an already sequenced genome of an existing species.  Most of DNA sequence is an enigma.  At least in humans, there is plenty of noncoding DNA that no one seems to understand what it is or what it does, all packaged within the functional coding sequences.  I think that, like most scientists, they are overstating the significance of their findings.  That said, what they are doing can be very beneficial but on the other hand, they could be playing with fire as well.

Offline JTFFan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 10:24:38 PM »
Identical twins are natural clones. A cloned animal is just the same as an identical twin in theory.

yes this makes sense