Author Topic: Florida GOP debate thread.  (Read 1091 times)

Offline Muck DeFuslims

• Master JTFer
Florida GOP debate thread.
« on: January 24, 2008, 09:01:27 PM »
The crucial Florida debate is about to begin.

Please post your thoughts and reactions.

Offline christians4jews

• Master JTFer
Re: Florida GOP debate thread.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 09:02:24 PM »
cool thread. keep me updated guys...

Offline Muck DeFuslims

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 11:56:00 PM »
Well, the debate is over. Here are my thoughts.

I think Huckabee did very well. He was sharp, witty, humorous and gave some great answers about the 'fair tax' and his faith. I thought he did the best.

Romney too, did very well. He definitely did the most talking and held up well under pretty hostile questioning from the leftist MSNBC moderators. Very good performance by Willard. Like him or not, the guy is a helluva salesman, he's quick on his feet and has a good appearance. I'd expect the press to declare Romney the winner of this debate.

McCain was pretty solid and unfortunately didn't do anything to harm himself. Unfortunately, the other candidates appeared deferential to McCain and put little or no pressure on him. I think this was a tactical error by the other candidates and worked to McCain's advantage.

Guiliani was OK, but definitely lackluster. Didn't help himself. Might have earned some points just on the basis of the New York Times attacking him.

Ron Paul did the least speaking and appeared to be marginalized. Not a factor.

All in all, a debate that lacked any real fireworks -- which unfortunately works in McCain's favor as his front runner status was not seriously harmed---although Huckabee and Romney were clearly the best performers tonight.

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 12:04:59 AM »
MSNBC is going to re-run it now and again three hours from now.

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 12:14:02 AM »
Well, the debate is over. Here are my thoughts.

I think Huckabee did very well. He was sharp, witty, humorous and gave some great answers about the 'fair tax' and his faith. I thought he did the best.

Romney too, did very well. He definitely did the most talking and held up well under pretty hostile questioning from the leftist MSNBC moderators. Very good performance by Willard. Like him or not, the guy is a helluva salesman, he's quick on his feet and has a good appearance. I'd expect the press to declare Romney the winner of this debate.

McCain was pretty solid and unfortunately didn't do anything to harm himself. Unfortunately, the other candidates appeared deferential to McCain and put little or no pressure on him. I think this was a tactical error by the other candidates and worked to McCain's advantage.

Guiliani was OK, but definitely lackluster. Didn't help himself. Might have earned some points just on the basis of the New York Times attacking him.

Ron Paul did the least speaking and appeared to be marginalized. Not a factor.

All in all, a debate that lacked any real fireworks -- which unfortunately works in McCain's favor as his front runner status was not seriously harmed---although Huckabee and Romney were clearly the best performers tonight.

Romney was the only candidate who ever really criticized McCain's record--before and I think during the NH debates-- but Huckabee unfortunately defended McCain and then McCain ended up winning NH.

When McCain voted against tax cuts, I don't think the reason he stated at the time is because he felt that excessive spending wasn't being simultaneously decreased.  People better not take it as a positive that the NYTimes endorsed McCain on the GOP side.   

You could also tell that McCain didn't like it when the moderators mentioned his age a couple times during the last half-hour of the debate. 

Offline Muck DeFuslims

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 03:23:31 AM »
I really don't understand why Romney, Huckabee and Guiliani were so easy on McCain.

It's one thing not to sling mud and be cordial but the failure to hammer McCain on his immigration stance and for voting against tax cuts is mystifying.

McCain does look old, and you're right, he doesn't like it when his age is brought up. However, this is a delicate matter and is hard to use against him, especially in a state like Florida with it's huge number of retirees.

I thought Huckabee handled the Chuck Norris/McCain age question very tactfully and humorously but had an opportunity to say something like 'McCain isn't too old right now, but in any event his record on immigration is so horrible he should be disqualified as a serious candidate even if he was 50 years old instead of 128'.

OK, that might have been a little too harsh  ;D but you get the idea.

As far as the New York Times endorsement of McCain goes, conservatives hate that rag, and that will only hurt McCain, not help him.

Anyway, although McCain didn't harm himself in this debate, he was clearly outperformed by Romney and Huckabee, and hopefully will not win Florida.

Offline christians4jews

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 05:15:19 AM »
I really don't understand why Romney, Huckabee and Guiliani were so easy on McCain.

It's one thing not to sling mud and be cordial but the failure to hammer McCain on his immigration stance and for voting against tax cuts is mystifying.

McCain does look old, and you're right, he doesn't like it when his age is brought up. However, this is a delicate matter and is hard to use against him, especially in a state like Florida with it's huge number of retirees.

I thought Huckabee handled the Chuck Norris/McCain age question very tactfully and humorously but had an opportunity to say something like 'McCain isn't too old right now, but in any event his record on immigration is so horrible he should be disqualified as a serious candidate even if he was 50 years old instead of 128'.

OK, that might have been a little too harsh  ;D but you get the idea.

As far as the New York Times endorsement of McCain goes, conservatives hate that rag, and that will only hurt McCain, not help him.

Anyway, although McCain didn't harm himself in this debate, he was clearly outperformed by Romney and Huckabee, and hopefully will not win Florida.

huckabee is by far the bst speaker and debater, and it showed again tonight.....

Romney must of bribed the debate forum as he by far the most talking time...whihc i suppose could be a blessing as it could mean he wins florida...

Ruudy, i really thought he would go for mccaine as he needs to, but he didnt???

I think attacking mccaine is like as chaim would say "the third rail of politics", because of the vietnam torturing he seesm exempt from any critercism...