5 (55.6%)
No.
0 (0%)
I never had it.
4 (44.4%)
I don't know where to get it.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Do you like kosher seafood salad?  (Read 8140 times)

admin

Do you like kosher seafood salad?
« on: February 27, 2008, 02:35:30 PM »
I do.

It is made out of imitation crab meat (pollock). The first time I had it, I thought the fake crab was noodles like in a pasta salad.

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
Re: Do you like kosher seafood salad?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 08:43:09 PM »
I like tuna salad, or egg salad, but not any immitation non-kosher salads. O0

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 08:49:27 PM »
Neutral. Usually on Shabb-t night amoung other fish we have that also because my brother loves it. I eat it but not that crazy (It kinda has a sweet taste).
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 09:26:09 PM »
shouldn't it be illegal to even eat imitation crab since it mimicks the flavor of a nonkosher animal?  What do you say my fellow observant Jews?
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 09:27:43 PM »
I think it's kind of silly.  It's not real anyway.  You might as well call it something else.  Nobody will no the difference. :::D

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 09:30:19 PM »
shouldn't it be illegal to even eat imitation crab since it mimicks the flavor of a nonkosher animal?  What do you say my fellow observant Jews?

No. It says imitation, and its up to the seller to call their product what they seem is best ( I guess for business). Just as long as it has the proper Kashrut. - But in the ingredients it says the fish it is made of. I guess that if they would write something like that it wouldn't be able to sell.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 10:47:27 PM »

No. It says imitation, and its up to the seller to call their product what they seem is best ( I guess for business). Just as long as it has the proper Kashrut. - But in the ingredients it says the fish it is made of. I guess that if they would write something like that it wouldn't be able to sell.

But wouldn't eating a food that mimick the taste of an unkosher animal, like shrimp, cause one to be tempted to eat the actual thing?
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 10:49:18 PM »
Perhaps, but judging from the look of the immitation salads I've seen in stores, I wouldn't be tempted to eat either of them. :::D

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 11:06:26 PM »

But wouldn't eating a food that mimick the taste of an unkosher animal, like shrimp, cause one to be tempted to eat the actual thing?

I dont know, not for me at least. But if it tastes good and is tempting, why not just eat the kosher imitation?

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 04:02:01 AM »
I like the salad with Thunfish and Lachs. :)
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 05:50:39 AM »

I dont know, not for me at least. But if it tastes good and is tempting, why not just eat the kosher imitation?

Can you dispute this hipocracy?  We certainly aren't allowed to eat foods that are treyf.  But why should it be ok to eat something that tastes like it if it wasn't meant for us to eat it anyway?  It may tempt us.

Aren't the point of fences meant to keep us from getting to close from danger?

Offline Tina Greco - Melbourne

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 06:16:05 AM »
Yes I love it  :)

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 05:03:31 PM »

Can you dispute this hipocracy?  We certainly aren't allowed to eat foods that are treyf.  But why should it be ok to eat something that tastes like it if it wasn't meant for us to eat it anyway?  It may tempt us.

Besides todays imitation, the Gemmarah lists non kosher food (animals) and also writes what tastes like it. And if the other (similar tasting foods) were allowed then their is no question here. Non-Kosher is not allowed, Kosher is, in this case I dont see what you mean by fencing, if anything you can argue that by having an alternative food that tastes just like the non-kosher food, it is actually easier to keep kosher because you have the substatute available and you can enjoy the same pleasure in a kosher way. BUT anyway once 1 keeps kosher (actaully thats true for allmost all mitzvot), the desire for the impure goes away.  Same with Shabb-t once you keep it for some time and are commited, then you get used to it and it doesn't become a test, but a pleasure.

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 02:22:57 AM »
I'm not sure about seafood salads, but I know I LOVE sardine salads (and salmon salads). Dice up a tomato and onions, add lemon juice and spicy peppers and eat it along with Passover matzah crackers. It's the best. You'll need some low calorie mints though. That stuff stays on your breath.

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 04:55:17 AM »
Very healthy, but yes it stinks. :::D

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2008, 11:38:14 AM »
I'm not sure about seafood salads, but I know I LOVE sardine salads (and salmon salads). Dice up a tomato and onions, add lemon juice and spicy peppers and eat it along with Passover matzah crackers. It's the best. You'll need some low calorie mints though. That stuff stays on your breath.

You only like it because Chaim likes it...  :P

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2008, 11:44:23 AM »

What is the rabbinical ruling of eating foods that are kosher, but taste like unkosher things?
Examples can be cheeseburgers, but the cheese is really soy cheese.
OR eating something that looks like meat with cheese, but it isn't really meat, but parve?

Doesn't the very appearance or taste remind people of an unkosher habit?

I know that it is written that one should not mix a calf in its mother's milk.

But poultry is not a mammal. However, since poultry can be processed and cooked in such a away that it can resemble the flavor of meat and might remind people that it is meat, many rabbis have decided that poultry should not be mixed with milk.  There are other reasons behind it too, but this is one of the reasons that I know of.

So if this is how it is with poultry, that its taste and texture might be a reminder of meat, why can't the same be applied to non meats which mimick the taste of meats..or cheeses which are non dairy mimicking the flavor of cheese... Or fake bacon or fake lobstor etc etc etc?  Doesn't it defeat one of the purposes of staying from the Torah Law of not eating treyf?

ok never mind unless you want to explain it further...See post below
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 11:53:48 AM by Dr. Dan »

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2008, 11:48:59 AM »
If a food is kosher certified there is no sin involved. But if I were a Jew I wouldn't eat it. It may lead pagans think Judaism means a life full of prohibitions and Jews NEED those tastes. Food is not everything in life!

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2008, 11:52:13 AM »

Besides todays imitation, the Gemmarah lists non kosher food (animals) and also writes what tastes like it. And if the other (similar tasting foods) were allowed then their is no question here. Non-Kosher is not allowed, Kosher is, in this case I dont see what you mean by fencing, if anything you can argue that by having an alternative food that tastes just like the non-kosher food, it is actually easier to keep kosher because you have the substatute available and you can enjoy the same pleasure in a kosher way. BUT anyway once 1 keeps kosher (actaully thats true for allmost all mitzvot), the desire for the impure goes away.  Same with Shabbat once you keep it for some time and are commited, then you get used to it and it doesn't become a test, but a pleasure.

Tzvi, thank you for that explanation and I agree with it.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2008, 05:19:28 PM »
"What is the rabbinical ruling of eating foods that are kosher, but taste like unkosher things?
OR eating something that looks like meat with cheese, but it isn't really meat, but parve?"

First one allowed,
 the second one is problematic, one shouldn't give the appearance of making a sin. And I think that different foods have a different status on whether or not its well known or not, etc. 

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2008, 05:57:25 PM »
"What is the rabbinical ruling of eating foods that are kosher, but taste like unkosher things?
OR eating something that looks like meat with cheese, but it isn't really meat, but parve?"

First one allowed,
 the second one is problematic, one shouldn't give the appearance of making a sin. And I think that different foods have a different status on whether or not its well known or not, etc. 

thank you, agree with that (the appearance)

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2008, 06:11:37 PM »

You only like it because Chaim likes it...  :P

;) ;D

Nah. My mother used to literally stock the pantry with cans of sardines. And when there was nothing "good" to eat (cookies, cereal, ice cream, etc.) I'd go for that.

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2008, 11:59:03 PM »
Aren't sardines full of little fish bones? I like sardines but I once had them and they were all crunchy from the little creepy bones.
Fish bones are just creepy, I nearly chocked on one once!

Yes. I always cut each sardine in half and carefully remove them.

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2008, 12:09:23 AM »
You're like me, Mills.  I hate those bones.  That's why you go with tuna. O0

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2008, 07:40:18 AM »
Sardine bones are okay to eat. They're high in calcium and you won't choke on them because you can crunch them with your teeth since they are really small.

sardines.....blech!