Author Topic: Bukharian Billionaire Lev Leviev  (Read 5166 times)

Offline Daniel Ben Hanania

• Senior JTFer
Bukharian Billionaire Lev Leviev
« on: March 03, 2008, 01:12:35 PM »
So, I heard Chaim's answer about Bukharian Billionaire Lev Leviev, and I .... (I just dont want to say I am disagree, cause I might be wrong). Lev Leviev supports TONS of synagogues and yeshivas all over NY and US States in general. In Queens, he is HIGHLY popular for amounts of his charity work.

HERES INFO FROM WIKIPEDIA

Lev Avnerovich Leviev (born on July 30, 1956 in Tashkent, Soviet Union) is a Chabad Orthodox Bukharian Jewish billionaire who lives in London. Leviev is ranked 210th among the world’s wealthiest people, with an estimated personal net worth of $6.5 billion [1], although his associates put the figure closer to $8 billion.[2]

Biography
Lev Leviev was born in Tashkent, Uzbekistan in 1956. His parents, Avner and Chana Leviev, were prominent members of the Bukharian Jewish community. In 1971, when he was fifteen, his family immigrated from Uzbekistan to Israel. Shortly afterwards, Leviev began to work as an apprentice in a diamond polishing plant, learning the 11 steps of the diamond cutting process. After serving in the Israel Defense Forces, he established his own diamond polishing plant.

With the fall of Communism in the early 1990s, Leviev expanded his business endeavors into Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union. He received the blessings for success in business and personal support of the Lubavitcher Rebbe, Rabbi Menachem Schneerson for his philanthropic activities, which include "an army of some 10,000 Jewish functionaries from Ukraine to Azerbaijan, including 300 rabbis. Most of the 300 rabbis are Chabadniks" - adherents of the Brooklyn-based Chabad Hasidic group. In particular he sponsors many of the activities of the Jewish Learning Initiative.

Leviev lives in Hampstead, London, with his wife Olga and their daughter, Ruthie [1]

Business interests
He is currently Chairman of the Board of Directors of Africa Israel Investments Limited, an investment company with enterprises in Israel and around the globe aiming for a market value of $7 billion by the end of 2007. Leviev purchased the company a decade ago for $400 million. It is his only publicly traded company.

Lev Leviev has investments in the diamond industry, real estate and chemicals. He owns Israel Plus, an Israeli Russian-language TV channel, and is chairman of Africa Israel Investments, an international holding and investment company involved in residential real estate, shopping malls, energy, fashion, telecom, and media. Leviev owns diamond mines in Russia and Africa, and is a major competitor to the De Beers international diamond cartel.

Leviev is a major supporter of Jewish philanthropic causes and president of the Federation of Jewish Communities of the CIS (FJC), an umbrella body representing Jewish communities across the former Soviet Union. He is the founder of the Ohr Avner Foundation (named for Leviev's father).

In 2005, Leviev's company completed a $230 million 5,800 apartment project in Modi'in Illit, for the Haredi sector.

Leviev recently opened a luxury jewelry store on Old Bond Street in London. He has plans to invest billions in the Far East, and is considering investments in Argentina, Brazil and Russia.[3]

Israeli settlements
Leviev is involved in the construction of Israeli settlements in the West Bank. Leviev’s Danya Cebus company, a subsidiary of Africa-Israel, subcontracted the construction of Mattityahu East on the land of the Palestinian village of Bil'in to Shaya Boymelgreen. Danya Cebus is also building part of Har Homa, the strategic settlement block that divides Jerusalem from Bethlehem, and Maale Adumim which divides the northern and southern West Bank.[4] In 1999, Leviev's company Danya Cebus announced plans to build new homes in the settlement of Ariel[5], which reaches up to 13 miles inside the West Bank, cutting off the northern West Bank from the rest of the West Bank. It is not clear if this construction was implemented. Through another subsidiary, LIDAR, Leviev appears to be the sole realtor/developer of the settlement of Zufim, built on the agricultural lands of the village of Jayyous.[6]

Leviev is also a major funder of the Land Redemption Fund, which, according to the Israeli newspaper Yedioth Ahronoth, has used large sums of money to secure Palestinian land in places like Bil'in and Jayyous for settlement expansion.[7] The Land Redemption Fund and related groups have faced allegations of the use of fraud[8] and violence[9][10] to secure land.

Leviev's involvement in Israeli settlement construction has drawn protests outside a Leviev-owned jewelry store in New York City, and has impelled Oxfam to make it clear that Leviev has not donated to the charity.[11][12]

In a press release, a spokesperson for Leviev described the protests as "politically motivated" and accused protesters of "deliberately neglect[ing]... extensive humanitarian and philanthropic work, which includes building schools, orphanages, and fostering economic development in communities around the world."
NEVER AGAIN !!!

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Bukharian Billionaire Lev Leviev
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 01:26:30 PM »
from what i read, he is righteous in many ways

but the part about securing land for the PLO terrorists boggles my mind...A possible politically correct Jew who has been misguided by current trends.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Online Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 02:42:46 PM »
                                                                                                    בס''ד

Look at how he denied that he supported a charity that seeks to redeem Jewish land. He disassociated himself from it because of protests from Muslim Nazis and Jewish traitors outside of one of his jewelry stores. How disgusting. The guy is worth $8 billion and he's worried about losing a little business at his jewelry store? With his money, he should tell the Arabs and the self-hating Jews to go hell. He should be supporting us. What could they do to him with his money? He could literally save the entire Jewish people if he would give us $10 million, which for him is nothing. But instead, he only gives to non-controversial groups.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 02:44:33 PM »
                                                                                                    בס''ד

Look at how he denied that he supported a charity that seeks to redeem Jewish land. He disassociated himself from it because of protests from Muslim Nazis and Jewish traitors outside of one of his jewelry stores. How disgusting. The guy is worth $8 billion and he's worried about losing a little business at his jewelry store? With his money, he should tell the Arabs and the self-hating Jews to go hell. He should be supporting us. What could they do to him with his money? He could literally save the entire Jewish people if he would give us $10 million, which for him is nothing. But instead, he only gives to non-controversial groups.

"The more flesh, the more worms."
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Online Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 02:47:22 PM »
                                                                                                         בס''ד

If he's afraid to support a group like JTF publicly, let him give us money secretly. If he gave us generous support, then I would respect him. But again, with his billions, he could do anything he wants and no one would be able to touch him.

Online Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 02:49:03 PM »
                                                                                                    בס''ד

Very true!

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 02:50:32 PM »
                                                                                                    בס''ד

Very true!

"and the more Torah, the more life."

ah...the words of our Sages...makes life more meaningful.

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 03:00:29 PM »

I am sorry, I don't believe it. In the Soviet Union, synagogues had a semi-illegal status. People went there secretly. Most members were very old pensioners who had nothing to lose. If they caught you going to a synagogue, you could lose your job. There were no "prominent members" and there weren't such things as "Jewish communities." I am talking about that time period. I didn't even know that Judaism is a religion until I was 14 or 15. I just thought that Jews are an ethnicity (as they called them - a nationality), and I thought it was something bad, something to be ashamed of. OK, I am not from Tashkent, but I don't believe that things were that much different there from the other parts of the Soviet Union.

Offline kahaneloyalist

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 03:06:19 PM »
Chaim, why not approach him privately about donating anonymously to JTF?
"For it is through the mercy of fools that all Justice is lost"
Ramban

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 03:10:57 PM »
Oops, I missed the quotation. I was referring to the quote in Wikipedia that said that his parents were "prominent members of the Jewish community." Baloney, imo.

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 03:32:15 PM »
                                                                                                    בס''ד

Chaim, he is a Tzaddik.  He singlehandedly supports all of Chabad's activities in the Former Soviet Union.

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D

Offline Lubab

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 04:23:31 PM »
He is probably just uneducated about what needs to be done to save the Jewish people.

With his money it's probably worth the effort to try to persuade him that we have the best solutions for the safety of the Jewish people world-wide.

But with these people you always need a connection. Someone who knows him already and can link you to him.

Maybe someone in Chabad I know could serve in that capacity but I bet he's guarded closely by the "establishment lubavitchers" who get access to him.
"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline Mifletzet

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 05:02:12 PM »
Another 52 year old former soviet-bloc Jewish billionaire who lived in London, Badri Patarkatsishvili died last month, possily suspiciously
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badri_Patarkatsishvili

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSL1373450020080213?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews

« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 05:03:44 PM by Mifletzet »

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 05:26:48 PM »

I am sorry, I don't believe it. In the Soviet Union, synagogues had a semi-illegal status. People went there secretly. Most members were very old pensioners who had nothing to lose. If they caught you going to a synagogue, you could lose your job. There were no "prominent members" and there weren't such things as "Jewish communities." I am talking about that time period. I didn't even know that Judaism is a religion until I was 14 or 15. I just thought that Jews are an ethnicity (as they called them - a nationality), and I thought it was something bad, something to be ashamed of. OK, I am not from Tashkent, but I don't believe that things were that much different there from the other parts of the Soviet Union.

It wasn't as bad in the south where the communists had less control. And Tashket is in Uzbekistan, (but whatever im not from Tashket but from Navie).
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Daniel Ben Hanania

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 06:19:07 PM »
this is "Kabilov" and as being part bukharain i might say that Leviev he supports many Jewish groups all over the former U.S.S.R, he also supports Chabbad but i think the main problem with him as that he supported Sharon, Olmert, and Netanyahu and all these other Israeli politicians and also hes good friends with putin so i don't know

Anyone who is rich is friends with Putin :)
NEVER AGAIN !!!

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2008, 07:41:37 PM »
                                                                                                        בס''ד

If he's afraid to support a group like JTF publicly, let him give us money secretly. If he gave us generous support, then I would respect him. But again, with his billions, he could do anything he wants and no one would be able to touch him.

Pardon the language, but this guy has what I call "f*ck you" money.

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2008, 08:39:47 PM »
i heard that The Lubaveitch Rebbe gave him a Brocha for succes
That's how he became wealthy...

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2008, 08:44:49 PM »
i heard that The Lubaveitch Rebbe gave him a Brocha for succes
That's how he became wealthy...
thats what the story is
Just remember, Loshon Kodesh has no word for "coincidence..."

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2008, 08:46:37 PM »
I think I heard that too. But whatever, sometimes its not allways good to get your reward in this world. In the next its much better. But if you use it the right way then its great.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2008, 08:46:53 PM »
Well, the Lubovitcher Rebbe Zs'l also gave my father a blessing.  Why isn't he a billionare?   ;)
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2008, 08:48:30 PM »
Well, the Lubovitcher Rebbe Zs'l also gave my father a blessing.  Why isn't he a billionare?   ;)
Everyone has different Mazel...  ;)

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2008, 09:12:29 PM »
I think I heard that too. But whatever, sometimes its not allways good to get your reward in this world. In the next its much better. But if you use it the right way then its great.

exactly the guy is the richest Jew in Israel, he has so much power in Russia and other former  parts of U.S.S.R, he also owns many Israeli channels, its shame he doesn't use that money to advertise Torah and JTF

I dont know where he lives, I dont even think he lives in Israel (or really cares about the politics), I do think he does sponsor Yeshivot and Torah, but I dont really know much about him except that sometimes people (Bukharians) say something about him and that he just gave $ to here or their.
 About JTF would he even have heard about it?

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2008, 09:26:31 PM »

exactly the guy is the richest Jew in Israel, he has so much power in Russia and other former  parts of U.S.S.R, he also owns many Israeli channels, its shame he doesn't use that money to advertise Torah and JTF
He does use it to advertise Torah.  He is responsible for thousands of Soviet Jews returning to Yiddishkeit.

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2008, 09:44:30 PM »
I might be mistaken, but I believe I read just two weeks ago that Lev Leviev purchased the most expensive mansion in London, England.

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2008, 09:51:48 PM »

I dont know where he lives, I dont even think he lives in Israel
He lives in Bnei Brak, but he's living in London temporarily to oversee his business there.