Author Topic: Star Trek and the Jewish people in the future  (Read 1711 times)

Offline Odie

• Junior JTFer
Star Trek and the Jewish people in the future
« on: March 18, 2008, 01:24:10 PM »
        Does anyone know if Star Trek(all the series and movies) has their ever been a Jewish character
in Star Trek, for example Shatner and Nimoy are Jewish actors, but the characters they play
Kirk and Spock are NOT Jewish...
           I am talking about Jewish characters, like let's say an Ensign Goldman

Offline eb22

• Ultimate JTFer
  • No Appeasement.or Concessions.Fakestine is a Hoax.
Re: Star Trek and the Jewish people in the future
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 04:28:33 AM »
http://www.pinenet.com/~rooster/trekjews.html

The Dec. 2004 newsletter discusses a clearly Jewish character, Darya Bat-Levi, who appears in a 2003 Star Trek novel, Well of Souls by Ilsa J. Bick. On pgs. 30-33 Bat-Levi clearly says "I'm Jewish" and discusses some points of Jewish law and theology.
"Israel's leaders seem to be more afraid of Obama than they are of G-d. Now we're getting to the real root of the problem. Secular politics won't save Israel. Denying the divine nature of the Jewish State has brought Israel neither stability nor peace. When that changes Israel will finally be blessed with both in abundance"-----------NormanF   ( Posted on Israel Matzav's Blog )

http://jtf.org/

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 08:27:52 AM »

Lots of Jews in the Star Trek novels, if you read Star Trek, The Starfleet Corps of Engineers, the lead character of the novels Captain David Gold of the U.S.S Davinci is Jewish.  :)

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Creative-Couplings-Engineers/dp/141654898X/ref=pd_sim_b_img_1
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 08:45:18 AM »
Quote from: New Yorker link=topic=18338.msg#msg date=

Lots of Jews in the Star Trek novels, if you read Star Trek, The Starfleet Corps of Engineers, the lead character of the novels Captain David Gold of the U.S.S Davinci is Jewish.  :)

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Creative-Couplings-Engineers/dp/141654898X/ref=pd_sim_b_img_1

That's true regarding the novels but the original series was lacking in Jewish characters.  The only one that I can think of that may have been Jewish was Lt. Commander Kelowitz who appeared in 3 episodes.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Odie

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 11:43:57 AM »
        Is Star Trek trying to say that the Jewish people as an ethnic group(not-religion) that the Jewish people don't exist in the future
              Remember Capt David Gold in the Trek Novel, that is NOT considered "Canon"
       I remember from Kirk's show, there was a character named "Kaplan" a red-shirt who was killed on some planet.
       But what other Jewish characters existed in the Star Trek Canon, by that I mean the ORIGINAL Star Trek, TNG,DS9,Voyager and Enterprise as well as the Trek movies

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 02:41:25 PM »
It's just a TV show. I'm not sure if you are suggesting Star Trek is antisemitic or that Jewish people won't exist in the future because of Star Trek? You can't be serious.
"In the final analysis, for the believer there are no questions, and for the non-believer there are no answers." -Chofetz Chaim

Offline ASHISH

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 03:22:28 PM »
Jewish people won't exist in the future because of Star Trek? You can't be serious.

:::D

Offline MasterWolf1

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 03:29:14 PM »
I guess this is silly night from Odie?

RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline abdithefaithful

• Full JTFer
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 03:56:28 PM »
I believe there is an anti-nazi episode of the original Star Trek...
If you don't like The Great Chaim, then you sure as heck wouldn't like me!

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 07:11:30 AM »
Quote from: abdithefaithful link=topic=18338.msg#msg date=
I believe there is an anti-nazi episode of the original Star Trek...

"Patters of Force".

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 08:18:31 AM »
Uh oh! You guys aren't going to like this  :::D

Book Description
These are the voyages of the U.S.S. da Vinci. Their mission: to solve the problems of the galaxy, one disaster at a time. Starfleet veteran Captain David Gold, along with his crack Starfleet Corps of Engineers team led by former Starship Enterprise™ engineer Commander Sonya Gomez, travel throughout the Federation and beyond to fix the unfixable, repair the irreparable, and solve the unsolvable.
The S.C.E.'s missions don't always go as planned -- repairing the weather grid on the resort planet Risa turns into a deadly first contact, constructing an industrial complex on a nonaligned world leads to some startling revelations about the financier behind it, diverting a runaway ship could spell death for the crew the da Vinci didn't even know was there, and a planet in a box proves a more valuable prize than anyone could have imagined -- but their greatest challenge comes much closer to home...

Captain Gold's granddaughter Esther is marrying Khor, son of Lantar, a Klingon politician. Now Gold faces what may be the greatest challenge of his career: officiating the first-ever Klingon-Jewish wedding!   :D

Some funny "Jews in the future" stuff in there, concern about the Klingon food at the reception not being kosher, because it's alien and because it's still alive!  :::D
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 08:26:32 AM by New Yorker »
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.