Author Topic: Does G-d Judge Us Only By Our Actions or Our Thoughts Too?  (Read 4058 times)

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
Does G-d Judge Us Only By Our Actions or Our Thoughts Too?
« on: March 25, 2008, 12:21:21 AM »
I live what I consider a pretty clean life based on my actions.  However, I must admit I'm not immune from sinful thougths.  An obvious one could be lusting after a pretty girl you meet or have known.  Some other examples include wanting to machine gun a car that has cut you off in traffic, or imagining hacking someone to death with a machette if they don't say "thank you" when you hold the door for them.  Of course, I would never do these things, but I do in fact think them.  Thoughts?

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Does G-d Judge Us Only By Our Actions or Our Thoughts Too?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 07:10:16 AM »
He only judges by the way we clap our hands when we are doing the hora..If we don't clap properly and loudly enough, that's the end of it!
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Haim_Ben_Shimon_3JFB

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 09:12:58 AM »
I think its says somewhere even if you think of killing or committing any sin action its like you already did it.

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 10:04:28 AM »
This is the difference between a Tzaddik and a Beinoni...

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 01:15:06 AM »
This is the difference between a Tzaddik and a Beinoni...

Can you be a righteous Beinoni?

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 02:26:35 PM »
Any Rabbinic scholars know about this? O0

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 02:32:24 PM »
I know a Tzaddik is a saint, but what's a Beinoni?

I think its says somewhere even if you think of killing or committing any sin action its like you already did it.

I've heard that too...

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 02:37:23 PM »
Hey Vito.  I had to look it up myself.  Did a Google search and it appears a Bounini is just what I asked about.  A person who has evil or sinful thoughts, but has the self-control not to act on them. O0

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 02:39:56 PM »
Hey Vito.  I had to look it up myself.  Did a Google search and it appears a Bounini is just what I asked about.  A person who has evil or sinful thoughts, but has the self-control not to act on them. O0

Ah, so I'm a Beinoni! Toda Ari  O0

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 03:15:28 PM »
http://jtf.org/forum_english/index.php?topic=18361.0 -I posted something on this. Also some are in this category completly, and sometimes other things are not for a Jew. For example If you intend and want to eat non-Kosher, but then the nearest store is kosher and you go their, you wont get a sin. Or if you want to steal something, but then change your mind. BUT if for example you are on a plane and you order the non-Kosher meal, you have full intention of eating it, they then bring you the meal and you eat it, but then they tell you  they made a mistake they brought you the Glatt Kosher meal by accident, in this case you get a sin.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 08:32:39 PM »
The vast majority of sins in the Torah involve action only and therefore it is irrelevant if you think about sinning in your head.  This is contrary to what the Charedim say.  However, a few sins in the Torah involve the thoughts in your mind and you are responsible for thinking about sinning with regard to these sins.  For example, if you doubt that G-d exists in your mind than this is a Biblical sin.  But if you think about killing someone but don't do it this is not a sin (unless he's a Jew then you sin by not loving your neighbor as yourself, but don't sin with regard to being responsible for murder).  If you covet a married woman and think about having sex with that woman than that is a sin but if you merely think about having sex with a single girl then that isn't a Biblical sin since the Biblical sin involves action only, not thought.  The accepted opinion of the Rabbis prohibit lusting after single women as well, but this is not a Biblical prohibition. 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 08:44:43 PM by jdl4ever »
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Boeregeneraal

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 08:43:25 PM »
it is a sin to think un-kosher thoughts.

lol...hacking people up.

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 09:08:21 PM »
This is a fascinating subject.  I hope G-d judges us mainly on our actions and not all our thoughts, which it seems at times are almost beyond control, at least for me. O0

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 09:12:26 PM »
This is a fascinating subject.  I hope G-d judges us mainly on our actions and not all our thoughts, which it seems at times are almost beyond control, at least for me. O0

Actually I forgot to mention that good thoughts are a Mitzva.
 A Jew can make or destroy worlds with his thoughts alone.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 09:14:40 PM »
Ah, so I'm a Beinoni! Toda Ari  O0
You never sin, ever?

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 09:14:57 PM »
A Jew can make or destroy worlds with his thoughts alone.
I disagree with that one.  A Jew can make or destroy worlds only with actions, never with thoughts alone.   Because the Torah is mainly about action. 
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 09:16:53 PM »
Nope.   :D

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 09:17:23 PM »
Actually, I'm sure we all do, but I try to avoid the whoppers. O0