Author Topic: Once Were Warriors author in court and proves they are still viruses  (Read 694 times)

Offline Tina Greco - Melbourne

• Ultimate JTFer
THE New Zealand author of the hard-hitting novel Once Were Warriors has been forced to defend allegations he attacked a police officer.

Alan Duff, whose novel deals with domestic violence and was adapted into a film, has been accused of swinging a policewoman onto the road by her handcuffs after being pulled over last September.

The Dominion Post reports that Duff raised the spectre of one of his best known characters Beth Heke, beaten wife of Jake the Muss, when he addressed the Taupo District Court yesterday.

He said police concocted the charges against him, and that he was an advocate of women's rights.

"I would like to think I was reasonably well informed to be an advocate of females - I have created some who have been part of this country's history," the paper reported.

"Why would I be concerned at being arrested by a woman when I created someone like Beth Heke?"

Police said Duff abused the policewoman after being pulled over for speeding, but calmed down when he was told he would be pepper-sprayed.

Duff admitted shouting at the policewoman but denied being aggressive.

He has been charged with failing to stop for police, failing to remain and two counts of resisting arrest.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23471942-23109,00.html

newman

He's OK as far as maoris go. At least he puts the boot into the bleeding heart privation argument.