Author Topic: Happy Birthday To The Lubavitcher Rebbe, ZT"L and Education and Sharing Day USA!  (Read 4854 times)

admin

BS"D

11 Nissan, 5768

11 Nissan is the birthday of The Lubavitcher Rebbe, ZT"L. Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneerson, of righteous memory, was born on this date in 1902. In honor of his birthday, The U.S. Congess declared 11 Nissan to be Education and Sharing Day USA in recognition of The Noahide Laws. Congress has recognized The United States as a Righteous Gentile country by this resolution.

Education and Sharing Day was established by the United States Congress in honor of the Rebbe, Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneerson's (1902-1994), efforts in promulgating education and sharing, encouraging both Jews and non-Jews to focus on these areas.

During his lifetime, the Rebbe, of righteous memory, opened scores of schools and centers of education called "Chabad Houses," and oversaw the publication of educational materials.

The day was designated on April 18, 1978, by President Jimmy Carter, and has since been annually proclaimed by the President of the United States on the Rebbe's Jewish birthday, The 11th of Nissan.

11 Nissan is also the Yahrzeit of my grandmother, Mechli Bat Avraham. She past away 3 days before Chaim was released from prison in 5751.

Yacov Menashe Ben Rachamim,
Chief Administrator.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 11:10:51 PM by Yacov Menashe Ben Rachamim »

Offline takebackourtemple

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
   I asked my Rabbi why the Rebbe was not born on the 9th of Av and he said that the line of the Moshiach is based on conception and not birth. I checked it out, and the 11th of Nissan for that year does fall within a close time frame. My only question then becomes whether conception goes by the egg being fertilized or by the 40 days of Noah. The 9th of Av does not appear to be a day that religious people would normally try to conceive or should they since we need Moshiach to come? Any thoughts? Please keep this discussion clean.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
   I asked my Rabbi why the Rebbe was not born on the 9th of Av and he said that the line of the Moshiach is based on conception and not birth. I checked it out, and the 11th of Nissan for that year does fall within a close time frame. My only question then becomes whether conception goes by the egg being fertilized or by the 40 days of Noah. The 9th of Av does not appear to be a day that religious people would normally try to conceive or should they since we need Moshiach to come? Any thoughts? Please keep this discussion clean.

who said moshiach is supposed to be born or conceived on the 9th of av?

the closest thing i have heard, is a midrash, (mentioned in the book "judaism on trial") it came up in the debate between the RAMBAN and pablo christiani.

It is a midrash, that moshiach was born when the temple was destroyed..
RAMBAN said a)if you take it literally it`s not J. Since they say he was born in the year 0, and the (second) temple was destroyed in 70CE.
But anyhow
b)RAMBAN takes that midrash as not literal.  If you take it literally, it means that moshiach is very very old..

Note that It does not say that moshiach is born every year on the anniversary of the destruction of the temple.

RAMBAN interpets that midrash as related to the one that says something like, in every generation there is a potential moshiach.   So, the midrash was teaching that in that dark time of the destruction, remember, that there was some light, there was a potential moshiach.. and is in every generation.

That is from what I remember anyway.

And he says that some midrashim are literal and some are not.. you can choose for yourself whether you take one literally or not. And sometimes 2 may contradict each oter, they cannot be true simultaneously, and you choose which to accept and which not to accept..    In this case. no contradiction, but the point is that he took it as not literal.   
And I don`t see a source for your claim.. even if you do take that midrash literally (and I know of no rabbi that does)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 10:20:29 PM by q_q_ »

Offline takebackourtemple

• Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
I went to a hebrew birthday calculator and verified the dates you gave are correct. This is how I made my calculations. I must be doing something wrong.

Av to Nissan is 8 months on a regular year and 9 on a leap year. 1901 was a defective leap year. Source: http://everything2.com/e2node/Jewish%2520Calendar

1 Tishri . . . . . . 30
 2 Heshvan . . . . .  29 (r. & d.)
                                or 30 (p.)
 3 Kislev . . . . . . 29 (d.) or
                                   30 (r. & p.)
 4 Tebet . . . . . .  29
 5 Shebat . . . . . . 30
 6 Adar . . . . . . . 29 or
                                   30 (l.)
 -- Veadar . . . . .  29
    (occuring only in leap years)
 7 Nisan . . . . . . .30
 8 Ivar . . . . . . ..29
 9 Sivan . . . . . . .30
10 Tammux . . . . . . 29
11 Ab . . . . . . . . 30
12 Elul . . . . . . ..29
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer

Moses was born premature at 6 months and was concieved on Tisha B'Av. He was born on 7 Adar, the same date he died on 120 years later. Of course that's possible because Tisha B'Av wasn't a fast day then and it was permitted to have sexual relations on that day.

interesting..

but midrash is not as solid as the written torah, and also, And in your own knowledge, to be able to look things up, it is important to remember where it says things.  Or you becomes what rashi called "a basket of books".  So it is important to say if you are quoting a midrash. And not to mix midrash and pshat, without saying pshat says x, midrash says y

sometimes there can be another midrash that says  NOT y.   Sometimes.

somebody like you, who has such an organised mind, should not be a basket of books!

Being born on the 7th of adar, and going back or forward some number of months, takes us to somewhere in Av. But not necessarily the 9th.   It might be possible on a particular configuration of some months being 30 days and some being 29 days.

Thus, you would need a separate tradition that Moshe was born on tisha beav.

regarding what you said.. when it comes to calendars.. I gotta look at the steps!! (I know the facts about how the calendar works, but things can go wrong in calculations!)

Moshe was born 3 months premature.. I think that`s what you meant?
You say conceived on 7 Adar
So 6 months of pregnancy..  (I think is what you meant with the 6 months comment)
7 Adar was the end of the 6th month of pregnancy..
so Tirshri (like, around 7 tishri) was the end of the first month of pregnancy.
so Ellul was the beginning of the first month.
Maybe I did something wrong - I often do with calendars - we seem to be off by one. Why do you say Av ?

Offline YESHA

• Pro JTFer
  • I love our Yesha residents - Judea & Samaria.
He was a great tzadik and saintly, righteous rabbi!

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer

Sorry to say but some made a decision- for example - the Rebbe is Moshiah, and afterwards work everything around that to fit the puzzle (interpret Torah according to their wishes).
  But whatever I was also born on Nissan (18th) which just passed last wensday.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
I was also born on Nissan (18th) which just passed last wensday.

Very nice. 
What is special about that day ? nothing?
Who else do you have in mind that was born on the 18 nissan ? nobody?

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer

Very nice. 

Its the birthday of the most important person in my life- Me.  :P
  By the way the Lubavitch Rebbe who wrote the Tanya was born on that day also, and I think that Habadnicks celebrate it.
 Also Im not 100% sure, but it could be that the Baal Shem Tov, and Yitzhak Aveinu Alav Hashalom were also born on that day (but I could be wrong).
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer

Very nice. 

Its the birthday of the most important person in my life- Me.  :P
  By the way the Lubavitch Rebbe who wrote the Tanya was born on that day also, and I think that Habadnicks celebrate it.
 Also Im not 100% sure, but it could be that the Baal Shem Tov, and Yitzhak Aveinu Alav Hashalom were also born on that day (but I could be wrong).

The Rebbe was born on 11 Nissan as I stated in the title and first post of this thread.

I didn't say the last Lubavitch Rebbe, but one of the Rebbe's.
  Your Jewish Birthday is
      Nissan 18, 5747

On this Date in Jewish History - Nissan 18:
Pharaoh Becomes Aware of Escape (1313 BCE)
R. Levi Yitzchak Schneerson born (1878)
Lubavitcher Rebbe's Brit (1902)
  http://www.qchabad.org/calendar/birthday.asp?tDate=04%2F17%2F1987&timePart=Morning&jewishName=Tzvi&exactTime=&autoPrint=&c=&z=&t=&city=&tz=&n=&result=true

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
Sexual relations are prohibited on Tisha B'Av. Perhaps it was a Shabbat that year with the fast postponed to The Tenth. I'll go check it out.

Isn't Tisha B'Av the Jewish Equvilant to Valentines Day??
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline shimon

• Full JTFer
Sexual relations are prohibited on Tisha B'Av. Perhaps it was a Shabbat that year with the fast postponed to The Tenth. I'll go check it out.

g-d forbid. Tishva b'av is the saddiest day of the jewish calender. it is when both temples were destroyed both world wars started and among other things.
Valentines day is an evil  pagan holiday in which the Romans used to hold large orgies (sometimes including animals).

But once the messiah comes Tisha ba'v will be the happiest day of the year

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer

GOOGLE

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
It is of course a fast day, a day of mourning.

I would be interested to know - and this is not a rhetorical question - I am interested your response. What caused the idea to even come into your mind, that it was like Valentine's Day ?