Author Topic: What Happened To Our Forums And Web Sites?  (Read 8866 times)

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
Re: What Happened To Our Forums And Web Sites?
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2008, 11:00:46 PM »
i was worried it was the peace now trolls, good thing it wasnt!
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline eb22

• Ultimate JTFer
  • No Appeasement.or Concessions.Fakestine is a Hoax.
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2008, 03:23:35 AM »
  Chaim,   if someone sent a contribution via credit card or paypal during the 2 week period in which the data was lost,   do you still have the info that's necessary for JTF and VJA to get the funds that were sent?    

W/o saying,   I'm glad to see the JTF site running again.

Paypal operates independently outside of JTF. Nothing pertaining to Paypal is lost.

Yirmiyahu Ben Moshe ,   thank you for the info.    O0
"Israel's leaders seem to be more afraid of Obama than they are of G-d. Now we're getting to the real root of the problem. Secular politics won't save Israel. Denying the divine nature of the Jewish State has brought Israel neither stability nor peace. When that changes Israel will finally be blessed with both in abundance"-----------NormanF   ( Posted on Israel Matzav's Blog )

http://jtf.org/

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2008, 08:39:58 AM »
Thank you so much, is there another hosting company maybe we should look into.  Cause this has happened a few times since I been here and I have been since day one when this forum began.

I am a server provider though I don't think it'd be appropriate for me to advertise in the forums.

One thing I can suggest to Shlomo though is if you have a offsite FTP account with enough space, could set Cpanel to do automated backups through WHM (Web Hosting Manager) which will generate a automated backup everyday.

Our procedure for backup was different, we used megadrive storage chassis with 8 hotswappable harddrives (SCSI) that would be used for our backups, space was never a issue.

It's better than doing by hand, the website it's self can't be that large (although with a archive of the MP3's, I suppose it could), i'm sure the MYSQL database is getting pretty big with all the forum users though.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 08:43:06 AM by מאיר כהן »

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2008, 08:51:38 AM »
Aren't THEY supposed to backup data?

May I try to archive the data files in the future?
I have machines running 24/7 and I can write a script to download the DB files.

Not if it's a dedicated server, if it were a shared hosting account, they could advertise that they do, but if it's a dedicated server or a colocated server, the customer is usually responsible for the backups. Now for a dedicated server, the hosting company is usually responsible for the hardware since they are renting out the equipment.

Also, you guys are a bit confused with a server environment on how hot it gets in there, anyone whos been in a datacenter (including me who works in one) will tell you how damn loud it is from all the fans and airconditioning. A server is pretty much a computer with hardware specifically made for the job, unfortunately I don't buy this "airconditioning" story. Generally if hardware gets too hot, server marketed motherboards will usually shutdown automatically from the heat. Performance will vary as well.

A lot of providers are skipping out on crucial hardware parts these days, usually they save money by purchasing servers with consumer grade parts (SATA harddrive at 7200 RPM, consumer motherboard, consumer CPU, consumer RAM, etc.), you have to realize that everytime you bring up a website, you are literally accessing files (.PHP, .HTML, .MP3) on a harddrive from the server, think of this being accessed everyday 24/7, it's going to get worn out pretty quick if it's a consumer grade harddrive.

Parts do fail, harddrives can physically get worn out over time (depending how long the servers been running), electrical board on the harddrive can go bad, PSU can spike and literally fry the harddrive, etc.

The airconditioning units are usually provided from the floor, usually servers are 1u (1 unit) and put on a rack, the AC is supposed to cool them because the servers get very hot in such a small case but to keep them compact reduces the overall space in the datacenter and saves on cost.

Heres a picture of a rack to give you an idea.

By the way, this airconditioning story, the reason it doesn't add up is that if the AC failed, the server would still run as mentioned but performance would vary, the fans on the machine would kick on to try and cool the components, the AC would have had to have been out quite a while, if the datacenter didn't replace the AC, how many other servers were affected? Would like to hear more about this because it sounds suspicious. See if datacenter can get a low level read on the harddrive if they haven't already formatted it.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 08:54:08 AM by מאיר כהן »

Offline TruthSpreader

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WeThePeopleZeb
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2008, 10:27:06 AM »
Glad to see we are up and running again. Our forum is blessed by having someone like Shlomo to get us back on line so quickly. Thankfully the loss of posts and other information was limited.

Yeah, it got have been worse the entire forum would be deleted. Thank God it did not.

Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2008, 12:21:26 PM »
One thing I can suggest to Shlomo though is if you have a offsite FTP account with enough space, could set Cpanel to do automated backups through WHM (Web Hosting Manager) which will generate a automated backup everyday.

We used cpanel until our database and site got so big that it broke cpanel. And that was a while back.

I do it all by hand with scripts I wrote. I will probably set up a cron job.
"In the final analysis, for the believer there are no questions, and for the non-believer there are no answers." -Chofetz Chaim

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2008, 01:08:49 PM »

We used cpanel until our database and site got so big that it broke cpanel. And that was a while back.

I do it all by hand with scripts I wrote. I will probably set up a cron job.

There should be an option in WHM as well to generate full backups aside from Cpanel, I normally go under configure backup and have it backing up to a remote FTP which will compile all user accounts on the server automatically. Are you using the backup specifically in Cpanel on port 2082 or through port 2086 from whm?

Online Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2008, 01:31:11 PM »
                                                                                                                       בס''ד

I suggest that Meir and Shlomo continue this conversation through private messages or by telephone.

We don't want to give our enemies in Peace Now any information about how we operate our sites and our forums.

Offline Nic Brookes

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2008, 02:55:42 PM »
Every time this forum is down, my heart sinks. I think: "it has started already."  :'( ;D

If this forum is forced to close down permanently, where would the members find each other? Is there some blog or some other forum one could go to?

Yes there are. I think individual members have their own blogs.

My JTFWomen myspace has a back-up fan group forum there dedicated to JTF.
But hopefully, this will never happen again and we wont need to use it.

We could go to kahane.org.... LOL!

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2008, 03:05:22 PM »
Don't count on it. I have an account there but I have never posted. It is really childish. They have a section for Jokes I kid you not
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2008, 04:37:16 PM »
My JTFWomen myspace has a back-up fan group forum there dedicated to JTF.
But hopefully, this will never happen again and we wont need to use it.

Thanks!

Online Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2008, 08:43:30 PM »
Every time this forum is down, my heart sinks. I think: "it has started already."  :'( ;D

If this forum is forced to close down permanently, where would the members find each other? Is there some blog or some other forum one could go to?

Masha, that is not going to happen. We are here to stay!

Online Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2008, 08:45:57 PM »
Is the latest "Ask JTF" destroyed then?

I hope that you saw that the last Ask JTF was not lost and has been posted on the forum.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2008, 09:04:55 PM »

Masha, that is not going to happen. We are here to stay!
The few times the forum has been down it was up and running in no time and came back even better than before. I have been watching the number of guests we been getting each night the numbers are really great and are growing each week. Now if some of the folks signed on as guests who are not members would just make the transition to members it would really be wonderful. Chaim is right our forum is here to stay and the reason is we have Chaim and a great group of people to see that it does.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2008, 03:12:21 AM »
Is the latest "Ask JTF" destroyed then?

I hope that you saw that the last Ask JTF was not lost and has been posted on the forum.

I already found and listened to it, thanks!

Being from the Soviet Union, I have been conditioned to expect the worst. ;D

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2008, 01:40:12 PM »
Thanks for this thread. 

Offline underthesun

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2008, 03:41:06 PM »
If you care about the lost "text", you can ask the guys form WaybackMachine. They archive most of the internet. But usually they publish it after 6 month have passed. I don't know, if they'll give you access to the information of your own website sooner.

http://www.archive.org/web/web.php