Author Topic: Pray for my dog  (Read 5905 times)

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
Re: Pray for my dog
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2008, 03:04:00 PM »
German Shepherds are closer to wolves than some other breeds of dogs so their genetic traits might be a bit stronger/passed on more visually.

My Uncle has a German Shepard/Siberian Huskey mix and a German shepherd /Pit bull mix

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2008, 03:05:52 PM »
German Shepherds are closer to wolves than some other breeds of dogs so their genetic traits might be a bit stronger/passed on more visually.

My Uncle has a German Shepard/Siberian Huskey mix and a German shepherd /Pit bull mix

I like huskies and German Shepherds but I'm not so fond of pit bulls. It's not Pit Bull's fault, but they were bred almost solely for aggression, so I personally would not want to own that type of dog. I also don't like Dobermans or Rottweilers because they're just spooky.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2008, 03:08:42 PM »

I like huskies and German Shepherds but I'm not so fond of pit bulls. It's not Pit Bull's fault, but they were bred almost solely for aggression, so I personally would not want to own that type of dog. I also don't like Dobermans or Rottweilers because they're just spooky.

A lot of people are like that its OK My Uncles Neighbor hates the Dogs he calls them Brasilian Krauts :laugh:

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2008, 03:20:03 PM »
When I was a small child there was a guy who lived across the street from us that had two dobermans. They would always exhibit predatory type behavior, looking at me like they wanted to attack or even eat me, glaring at me with their heads pointed right at me and sort of half crouched like they were looking for an opportunity to rush at me, but not moving forward because I had my parents with me. One time I was talking to my friend who lived a couple of houses down from the house with the dobermans, who were exhibiting that predatory type body language, and one of them ran over and knocked him down while we were talking, and I had to go and rush for help for him. Thankfully he was ok, but he had been bitten, and it scared all of us and I didn't know if the dog would have killed him if he had tried to fight back or not.

I don't hate any breed of dog, I just don't want to be around dobermans, rottweilers, pit bulls, or other extremely aggressive large breeds.

I like Great Danes though. I think they only get a bad rap because they're large. My aunt had Great Danes and they were awesome dogs.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2008, 03:25:06 PM »
When I was a small child there was a guy who lived across the street from us that had two dobermans. They would always exhibit predatory type behavior, looking at me like they wanted to attack or even eat me, glaring at me with their heads pointed right at me and sort of half crouched like they were looking for an opportunity to rush at me, but not moving forward because I had my parents with me. One time I was talking to my friend who lived a couple of houses down from the house with the dobermans, who were exhibiting that predatory type body language, and one of them ran over and knocked him down while we were talking, and I had to go and rush for help for him. Thankfully he was ok, but he had been bitten, and it scared all of us and I didn't know if the dog would have killed him if he had tried to fight back or not.

I don't hate any breed of dog, I just don't want to be around dobermans, rottweilers, pit bulls, or other extremely aggressive large breeds.

I like Great Danes though. I think they only get a bad rap because they're large. My aunt had Great Danes and they were awesome dogs.

Rottweilers are like small cows  :::D
great danes are big but what about mastifs

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2008, 03:27:15 PM »
My Friends Dog did that to me but he did not bite me he jumped on me and started licking me
I didn't see that dog for 5 years

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2008, 03:30:13 PM »
I haven't had any encounters with mastiffs so I can't fairly judge them.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2008, 04:27:51 PM »

C.F. - How long do cats normally live?  You must take great care of your cat. 18 1/2 WOW
She is a Siamese, which tends to be a fairly long-lived breed.
Indoor cats (which ours always are) live substantially longer than outdoor owing to the simple fact of being sheltered from danger, disease, cars, predatory animals, etc. With good care, an average housecat should manage 15-18 years or more.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2008, 04:31:55 PM »
We used to have a German Shepherd--lived to be ten and died of lupus (a pretty decent lifespan for a dog of that size). Incredible protection dogs, but they are pretty much strictly one-family pets (without a superhuman level of training from puppyhood, they will not tolerate others on or near their property, without exception) and don't tolerate other family pets either.

Large breeds, especially Shepherds, suffer pretty severely from hip dysplasia (I believe ~45% of Shepherds have it to some degree), and it's pretty much impossible to deal with without surgery. Luckily ours never had it, but he did develop lupus, which eventually destroys every single organ. Most purebreds have nagging genetic weaknesses. My advice to potential pet owners is to get a mutt--they're free, you'll be saving a life, and they tend to be much healthier!

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2008, 05:36:07 PM »
We used to have a German Shepherd--lived to be ten and died of lupus (a pretty decent lifespan for a dog of that size). Incredible protection dogs, but they are pretty much strictly one-family pets (without a superhuman level of training from puppyhood, they will not tolerate others on or near their property, without exception) and don't tolerate other family pets either.

Large breeds, especially Shepherds, suffer pretty severely from hip dysplasia (I believe ~45% of Shepherds have it to some degree), and it's pretty much impossible to deal with without surgery. Luckily ours never had it, but he did develop lupus, which eventually destroys every single organ. Most purebreds have nagging genetic weaknesses. My advice to potential pet owners is to get a mutt--they're free, you'll be saving a life, and they tend to be much healthier!

My neighbor has a pure breed German shepherd That dog only understand German But it is a cool dog

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2008, 05:38:47 PM »
I've heard of a lot of people using German commands to train dogs. It's supposed to be traditional as so many breeds of dogs originated there.

This is one of my favorites:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weimaraner