Author Topic: Was Benjamin Franklin Anti-Semitic?  (Read 5323 times)

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
Was Benjamin Franklin Anti-Semitic?
« on: July 09, 2008, 01:51:47 PM »
I was searching for quotes on the founding fathers and found the following.

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN ON THE JEWS
There is a great danger for the United States of America. That great danger is the Jew. Gentlemen , in whichever land the Jews have settled, they have depressed the moral level and lowered the degree of commercial honesty. They have created a State within a State, and when they are opposed, they attempted to strangle the nation financially as in the case of Portugal and Spain."

"If they are not excluded from the United States by the Constitution, within less than a hundred years they will stream into our country in such numbers that they will rule and destroy us, and change our form of government for which Americans have shed their blood and sacrificed life, property and personal freedom. If the Jews are not excluded, within 200 years our children will be working in the fields to feed the Jews, while they remain in the Counting House gleefully rubbing their hands."

"I warn you, gentlemen, if you do not exclude the Jew forever, your children`s children will curse you in your grave."
"Their ideas are not those of Americans. The leopard cannot change his spots. The Jews are a danger to this land, and if they are allowed to enter, they will imperil its institutions."
"They should be excluded by the Constitution."

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Was Benjamin Franklin Anti-Semitic?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 01:55:33 PM »

There is a great danger for the United States of America. That great danger is the Jew. Gentlemen , in whichever land the Jews have settled, they have depressed the moral level and lowered the degree of commercial honesty. They have created a State within a State, and when they are opposed, they attempted to strangle the nation financially as in the case of Portugal and Spain."

"If they are not excluded from the United States by the Constitution, within less than a hundred years they will stream into our country in such numbers that they will rule and destroy us, and change our form of government for which Americans have shed their blood and sacrificed life, property and personal freedom. If the Jews are not excluded, within 200 years our children will be working in the fields to feed the Jews, while they remain in the Counting House gleefully rubbing their hands."

"I warn you, gentlemen, if you do not exclude the Jew forever, your children`s children will curse you in your grave."
"Their ideas are not those of Americans. The leopard cannot change his spots. The Jews are a danger to this land, and if they are allowed to enter, they will imperil its institutions."

please post the link and author who quoted Benjamin Franklin..
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 01:57:23 PM »
there was a similar thread recently, on a founding father, and posters here said that the quotes were fabricated

Offline Angry Panther

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 02:06:47 PM »

I don't if Ben Franklin said all that, probably not, but he did say this;

"Fart Proudly!"

;D

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 03:25:46 PM »

I don't if Ben Franklin said all that, probably not, but he did say this;

"Fart Proudly!"

;D

I just found another 'LOST QUOTE' from Franklin:   
here it is:

'We must all beware of the Scientologists... and their grand leader... Thomas (jump over couch) Cruz.   Parents.. keep your children away from this cult.. as they will force you to watch awful movies about space aliens and will lock you up in cages until you pay your dues.   

Beware!!!

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 03:29:09 PM »
Actually, that was not said by Benjamin Franklin.

It was said by Bennie "T-bone" a/k/a "Frankie" Franklin just last week over at "Tan Man's Carwash".

It couldn't have been said by Benjamin Franklin, because Jews had long been living in the New World alongside Franklin and the other Founding Fathers to be.

In fact, the only known place where Benjamin Franklin is quoted as uttering such nonsense, is on Nazi websites on the internet.

George Washington relied on his Jewish friend to arrange financing of the Revolution itself, as a matter of fact.

Another matter of fact is that Franklin proposed making Hebrew the official language of the newly founded United States.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 03:45:30 PM »
Another matter of fact is that Franklin proposed making Hebrew the official language of the newly founded United States.

uhhhhhh????? what???

I think you got your facts mixed up here.   I think he might have wanted Hebrew scripture on our seal or something... But why would he suggest making Hebrew our official language? especially since it had been extinct until its revision in the 1880's.

Brian

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 04:08:32 PM »
It's known as "The Franklin Prophecy"

Little bit more here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Franklin_Prophecy

"The Franklin Prophecy", sometimes called "The Franklin Forgery", is an antisemitic speech falsely attributed to Benjamin Franklin, warning of the supposed dangers of admitting Jews to the nascent United States. The speech was purportedly transcribed by Charles Cotesworth Pinckney during the Constitutional Convention of 1787, but was unknown before its appearance in 1934 in the pages of William Dudley Pelley's pro-Nazi weekly magazine Liberation. With linguistic anachronisms, it cannot be genuine. Despite having been repeatedly discredited since its first appearance, the “prophecy” has proved a remarkably durable canard, returning most recently as a popular internet hoax promulgated on usenet groups and antisemitic websites, where it is presented as authentic. Osama Bin Laden has even used this canard briefly in his November 2002 "Letter to the American People."[1] While its author is not known, many who have investigated the “prophecy” suspect Pelley of having penned it himself.

The US Congress report Anti-Semitism in Europe: Hearing Before the Subcommittee on European Affairs of the Committee on Foreign Relations (2004) states:

"The Franklin "Prophecy" is a classic anti-Semitic canard that falsely claims that American statesman Benjamin Franklin made anti-Jewish statements during the Constitutional Convention of 1787. It has found widening acceptance in Muslim and Arab media, where it has been used to criticize Israel and Jews..."[2]

Franklin was, in fact, a friend to the Jews of 18th-century America,[3] and contributed toward the building of Philadelphia's first permanent synagogue.[4]

« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 04:10:56 PM by מאיר כהן »

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 04:46:00 PM »
It's known as "The Franklin Prophecy"

Little bit more here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Franklin_Prophecy

"The Franklin Prophecy", sometimes called "The Franklin Forgery", is an antisemitic speech falsely attributed to Benjamin Franklin, warning of the supposed dangers of admitting Jews to the nascent United States. The speech was purportedly transcribed by Charles Cotesworth Pinckney during the Constitutional Convention of 1787, but was unknown before its appearance in 1934 in the pages of William Dudley Pelley's pro-Nazi weekly magazine Liberation. With linguistic anachronisms, it cannot be genuine. Despite having been repeatedly discredited since its first appearance, the “prophecy” has proved a remarkably durable canard, returning most recently as a popular internet hoax promulgated on usenet groups and antisemitic websites, where it is presented as authentic. Osama Bin Laden has even used this canard briefly in his November 2002 "Letter to the American People."[1] While its author is not known, many who have investigated the “prophecy” suspect Pelley of having penned it himself.

The US Congress report Anti-Semitism in Europe: Hearing Before the Subcommittee on European Affairs of the Committee on Foreign Relations (2004) states:

"The Franklin "Prophecy" is a classic anti-Semitic canard that falsely claims that American statesman Benjamin Franklin made anti-Jewish statements during the Constitutional Convention of 1787. It has found widening acceptance in Muslim and Arab media, where it has been used to criticize Israel and Jews..."[2]

Franklin was, in fact, a friend to the Jews of 18th-century America,[3] and contributed toward the building of Philadelphia's first permanent synagogue.[4]

Good job.   I think its important that members here know this.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 06:37:32 PM »
When was Hebrew ever extinct? I have seen many manuscripts in Hebrew written throughout the centuries, 1st century-20th century... Hebrew was never extinct...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 06:52:42 PM »
This is from a christian site but here is what is says

Dr Michael Brown Says:

May 5, 2008 at 2:46 am
That actually proves the whole point of my radio show in terms of anti-Semitic lies being spread — and Jew Watch spreads a lot of them!

The Ben Franklin quote is a complete hoax, manufactured almost 150 years after his death. For more info, see http://www.adl.org/special_reports/franklin_prophecy/franklin_intro.asp.

As for Washington, the quote is also doctored; see http://www.snopes.com/quotes/thejews.asp.

For his real heart, see his letter to the Touro Synagogue in 1790 in response to the query of Moses Seixas, the warden of the synagogue, who sought assurance of religious freedom in this newly formed nation. Washington replied that his government would “give to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.” He had other, very kind and affirming words to say about the Jewish people, and there is no evidence of anti-Semitism.

It is anti-Semites who spread these lies, so again, this proves the point I was making in my show
http://lineoffireradio.wordpress.com/2008/04/11/why-the-jews/
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 06:55:17 PM by mord »
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline EagleEye

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 02:15:38 PM »
It's common knowledge that this quote is fake.

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 03:48:57 PM »
If Franklin was anti-semitic, he had a wierd way of showing it.

He pushed to include the no religious tests for public office into the constitution because of a Jew he knew who was excluded from public appointment for refusing to take an oath that he beleived in the NT.
Post questions here for the ASK JUDEA TORAH SHOW

my blog: Yehudi-Nation

Who is truly wise? He who can see the future. I see tommorow today and I want to end it - Rabbi Meir Daweedh Kahana

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 03:59:03 PM »
Where is all this coming from who keeps starting these rumors saying some of the founding fathers or some of Americas greatest people are antisemites

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 04:33:22 PM »
Americanhero:  "...Where is all this coming from who keeps starting these rumors..."

All of it originates on Nazi / Aryan Nations / KKK websites.

They all have list of "Jews" (of which about 25% are not Jews), and they all have long lists of "Jew-Hating" quotations they attribute to famous characters of history.

And, where none were ever spoken or written, they have taken the "liberty" to simply make them up and lie about who supposedly said it.

If you want to tell lies and get away with it, it's a safe bet to claim that someone long dead did or said something; being that they're not around to defend themselves or deny the allegations.

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2008, 04:47:06 PM »
Americanhero:  "...some of Americas greatest people are antisemites?"

Well...in actual fact, some (but not all) of America's greatest personalities were and are anti-Semites.

Offline AsheDina

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • PSALMS 129:5 "ZION" THE Cornerstone.
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2008, 04:56:21 PM »
Where is all this coming from who keeps starting these rumors saying some of the founding fathers or some of Americas greatest people are antisemites

The websites, I also agree with Massuh- it is ALL over their youtube-websites ALSO in very subliminal forms, to get good people to join, so they cant detect their evil.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל
I endorse NO Presidential Candidates