Author Topic: Pictures from Chabad Sukkot Party  (Read 741 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Pictures from Chabad Sukkot Party
« on: October 20, 2008, 12:13:45 AM »
Shalom,

I just had a wonderful evening with the Chabad folks here in the Contra Costa area. I posted some pictures on my blog @ http://mytorah.wordpress.com/2008/10/19/pictures-from-my-sukkot-party/ .

I hope everyone had a chance to perform the mitzvahs of Sukkot.  From OU site:

http://www.ou.org/chagim/sukkot/intro.htm
The Mitzvah of Sukkah
Eating meals, sleeping and spending time in the Sukkah is a unique religious experience. Some have the custom of decorating the Sukkah with fancy decorations such as fruits or New Year’s cards while others prefer to preserve its unadorned simplicity.

The Sukkah is the only Mitzvah in which we are completely surrounded by the Mitzvah itself; enveloped, as it were, in the divine presence.

The Mitzvah of Lulav and Etrog
The other well-known mitzvah which pertains to Sukkot is the mitzvah of taking a lulav and etrog. There are actually 4 elements involved in this mitzvah and all must be present to properly fulfill it. The four elements are etrog, lulav, (palm branch), hadas (avot tree branch), aravah (willows of the brook). A bracha is said on the four species everyday of Sukkot.

A Time of Hope For Universal Peace
When the Jewish people rejoice on Sukkot, our hearts go out to the whole entire world. That means that ultimately, when G-d brings peace to the earth it will be for all mankind. In those days of the when the Holy Temple stood in Jerusalem, the Sukkot Festival offerings included seventy oxen, corresponding to the seventy nations, in prayer for peace and harmony among all the nations of the world.

Other mitzvot on Sukkot include the libation of water on the Alter (in Temple Times), the beating of the Aravah on Hoshana Rabah; and a specific mitzvah to rejoice.

Chag Sameach!

muman613
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline t_h_j

• Master JTFer
Re: Pictures from Chabad Sukkot Party
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 12:48:59 AM »
what's cooking there?

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 12:50:20 AM »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 12:54:43 AM »
what's cooking there?

Shalom t_h_j,

We had some delicious BBQ Hot Dogs/Hamburgers/Chicken.... It was all Kosher of course...

muman613
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 01:16:34 AM »
That looks like a good time..... :dance:
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 01:57:47 AM »
Shalom,

Yes it was very enjoyable. I feel great that I was able to rejoice this Sukkot. I have been so busy with work that I was afraid I would be unable to do the mitzvahs of Sukkot this year. This year I did not have my own luluv or Etrog and was given the four species when I got there.

Here are some more pictures...

Im still in such a good mood!

muman613

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 01:58:51 AM »
It looks like you had a really good time, and that barbecue stuff looks scrumptious! I am a big carnivore. Chaim would kick me out of JTF if he knew what my diet was like!