Author Topic: what does an upside down flag mean?  (Read 2104 times)

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
what does an upside down flag mean?
« on: October 26, 2008, 05:22:28 AM »
Can anybody explain this to me please?  I was watching a documentary on youtube, which showed an American flag in front of a Latino household.  The flag is hanging upside down with the stars on the bottom right.  Would somebody please explain the significance of this, (if there is any)?

Thank you.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: what does an upside down flag mean?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 05:33:32 AM »
Can anybody explain this to me please?  I was watching a documentary on youtube, which showed an American flag in front of a Latino household.  The flag is hanging upside down with the stars on the bottom right.  Would somebody please explain the significance of this, (if there is any)?

Thank you.
That is a underhanded way some of the third worlders show disdain for America. If you tell them its wrong they plead ignorance to the fact but the flag will never be corrected. I have seen Haitians doing this several times. Our veterans at the local VFW have visited some of the homes with flags like this and have corrected conditions like this. Its a wonder what a few veterans showing up on the door step  >:( with kind suggestions can do. ;D
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline AsheDina

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • PSALMS 129:5 "ZION" THE Cornerstone.
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 07:33:21 AM »
  It is a signal of    CONTINENTAL DISTRESS - that is what it ORIGINALLY was, now they do this for SICKO purposes.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל
I endorse NO Presidential Candidates

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 08:17:05 AM »
I think in some ways it's appropriate to fly the flag in that way for the original purpose for which it was intended. I didn't know that it was used as an affront to America until this thread.

Offline SerbChicago

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 09:18:39 AM »
Distress
The truth,justice and Serbian way

Offline SerbChicago

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 09:21:12 AM »
See the movie The last Castle at the end of the movie Robert Redford was about to put the flag upside down but he didn't because of the love for it.
The truth,justice and Serbian way

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 11:43:50 AM »
This family had lost their father on 9/11.  Do you think that might have something to do with an upside down flag?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 03:47:54 PM »
HELP!

muman613

Is it okay to display the flag upside down to protest the war?
The Flag Code states, "The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property." It is an unreasonable stretch to argue that the political purposes constitute "dire distress." We recommend that people who wish to express their political views find a way to do so that is respectful of the flag. Remember that to some the flag represents the government of the US and its policies; but it also represents the promise as yet unfulfilled of the Declaration, it represents our freedom of speech, our freedom to practice or not practice religion as we choose, it represents American values, it represents one nation in its glory, it represents hope for a better future, and importantly it represents the sacrifices made in all generations to protect our freedoms.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14