Author Topic: Watch this video!  (Read 1037 times)

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
Watch this video!
« on: November 30, 2008, 12:44:18 AM »
An ex-Muslim woman discussing with a Muslim. I found it a year ago. It's puzzles me that she speaks Arabic, and I understand very very little Hebrew, but I can understand some words. Is Arabic so similar to Hebrew? Anyway I have gussed the meaning of very unknown non-related languages by comparing with Hebrew roots.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Watch this video!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 01:11:05 AM »
You'll save people alot of bother if you write in the subject "Arabic/Hebrew"

So people not fluent will know not to bother to click. (unless perhaps there are sufficient replies to read)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 01:15:15 AM »
I am not an expert but from my experience there are a lot of similar words in Hebrew and Arabic.

Some examples I know:

Eved = Abd = Servant
Shalom = Salam = Peace
Rachaman = Rachem = Mercy

I am sure I can think of some more... But thats enough for this example...

muman613

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aramaic

Aramaic is a Semitic language with a 3,000-year history. It has been the language of administration of empires and the language of divine worship. It is the original language of large sections of the biblical books of Daniel and Ezra, and is the main language of the Talmud and Zohar. Aramaic was the native language of Jesus (see Aramaic of Jesus).[3] Modern Aramaic is spoken today as a first language by numerous, scattered communities, most significantly by the Assyrians. The language is considered to be endangered.[4]

Aramaic's long history and diverse and widespread use has led to the development of many divergent varieties, or dialects, of the language. Thus, there is no one Aramaic language, but each time and place has had its own variety.

Aramaic belongs to the Afro-Asiatic language family. Within that diverse family, it belongs to the Semitic subfamily. Aramaic is a part of the Northwest Semitic group of languages, which also includes the Canaanite languages (such as Hebrew). It is also related to Arabic, being part of the more diverse Central Semitic languages; one possible source for the Arabic alphabet is Nabataean Aramaic script.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 01:19:46 AM »
I am not an expert but from my experience there are a lot of similar words in Hebrew and Arabic.

Some examples I know:

Eved = Abd = Servant
Shalom = Salam = Peace

<snip>

Holy Mackeral, you've just made an amazing discovery

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 01:21:01 AM »

Some examples I know:

Eved = Abd = Servant
Shalom = Salam = Peace

<snip>

Holy Mackeral, you've just made an amazing discovery

q_q, you forgot the <sarc> tag !
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 01:23:08 AM »
I almost put it in, but chose not to, because it was obvious and because if anybody didn't notice then it's all the more amusing, and because I didn't want to confuse anybody with XML !

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 01:24:37 AM »
I almost put it in, but chose not to, because it was obvious and because if anybody didn't notice then it's all the more amusing, and because I didn't want to confuse anybody with XML !

:::D

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 01:31:56 AM »
I remembered to search for that video because I used some of her arguments this morning in my quarrell with the Algerian Muslim In Skype. I just wanted to watch it again.
And yes, Semitic Languages are similar. In the video I found the word she uses for "Church" sounds similar to Kness. "Fifteen million" sounds similar to Chamesh assar". "between" sounds like Bein, and so on.
But I have also found Hebrew roots in non-Semitic languages. For example the Germanic prefix "be" in English which is equivalent to "in" like in beloved, befriend.... and also in some German Languages sounds like Hebrew preposition "be".
Earth/ Eretz. Cup, Capture, Accept/ Kaph (hand, palm). Alto (high in Spanish)/Al, Alyiah, Oleh.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 01:55:15 AM »
Raul . I didn't realise you could do something like this..

Quote from: Raul
""An ex-Muslim woman discussing with a Muslim. I found it a year ago. It's puzzles me that she speaks Arabic, and I understand very very little Hebrew, but I can understand some words. Is Arabic so similar to Hebrew? Anyway I have gussed the meaning of very unknown non-related languages by comparing with Hebrew roots.""

The video is Wafa Sultan, most of us have seen it. You could have said so in the description.  And (obviously, it being that MEMRI video) it has English subtitles. You didn't suggest any of that.

You made it look like this is only relevant to those fluent in hebrew, and that it wasn't an English thing..

a minor point - I'm not sure that she really identifies herself as an "ex muslim". I recall her not arguing when a westerner described her as a muslim in an interview -after- that.  I think it's obvious that she is not a muslim.

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 02:02:04 AM »

Something like what?

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 02:29:08 AM »

Something like what?

not describing the video clearly.

so many people don't click, thinking it is all hebrew/arabic. Or do click and see they had already seen it.