Author Topic: Is JTF site going to be down for Tish B'AV?  (Read 1113 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Is JTF site going to be down for Tish B'AV?
« on: July 29, 2009, 02:26:23 PM »
I will be leaving work early today to attend services with my favorite minyan this evening. Tonight I start the fast of Tish B'AV which is a tough one {because it starts at sundown today, and ends sundown tomorrow}. I don't know fully the halacha concerning what is permitted and not permitted.  I will be reducing my usage of my computer over the day because I do know that the halacha is that once AV starts we reduce our joy...

http://www.aish.com/h/9av/oal/48944076.html

WHAT HAPPENED ON THE NINTH OF AV?

On Tisha B'Av, five national calamities occurred:

During the time of Moses, Jews in the desert accepted the slanderous report of the 10 Spies, and the decree was issued forbidding them from entering the Land of Israel. (1312 BCE)

The First Temple was destroyed by the Babylonians, led by Nebuchadnezzar. 100,000 Jews were slaughtered and millions more exiled. (586 BCE)

The Second Temple was destroyed by the Romans, led by Titus. Some two million Jews died, and another one million were exiled. (70 CE)

The Bar Kochba revolt was crushed by Roman Emperor Hadrian. The city of Betar -- the Jews' last stand against the Romans -- was captured and liquidated. Over 100,000 Jews were slaughtered. (135 CE)

The Temple area and its surroundings were plowed under by the Roman general Turnus Rufus. Jerusalem was rebuilt as a pagan city -- renamed Aelia Capitolina -- and access was forbidden to Jews.

Other grave misfortunes throughout Jewish history occurred on the Ninth of Av, including:

The Spanish Inquisition culminated with the expulsion of Jews from Spain on Tisha B'Av in 1492.

World War One broke out on the eve of Tisha B'Av in 1914 when Germany declared war on Russia. German resentment from the war set the stage for the Holocaust.

On the eve of Tisha B'Av 1942, the mass deportation began of Jews from the Warsaw Ghetto, en route to Treblinka.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Is JTF site going to be down for Tish B'AV?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 02:29:38 PM »
I also recently learned that there is a connection between Tish B'Av and 9/11...

In our modern calender 9/11 is the 11th day of the 9th month...

In the Hebrew calendar Tish B'Av is the 9th day of the 11th month...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Moshe92

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 04:11:37 PM »
On the Hebrew forum, they closed the Torah section since you are not allowed to study Torah on Tisha B'av.

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 04:17:37 PM »
On the Hebrew forum, they closed the Torah section since you are not allowed to study Torah on Tisha B'av.

You are not allowed to study the Torah on this day? What do you read for service?
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Moshe92

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 04:27:36 PM »

You are not allowed to study the Torah on this day? What do you read for service?

I think we read Eicha (The Book of Lamentations). Torah study is otherwise forbidden because it is an enjoyable activity.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 05:05:51 PM »
http://www.ou.org/yerushalayim/tishabav/tishabav.html

I found this site which explains some of the prohibitions of Tisha B'Av...

Prohibitions:

The prohibitions on Tisha B'Av itself are similar to those of Yom Kippur. In addition to not eating or drinking, we are not allowed to wash, anoint oneself or wear leather shoes. In a prohibition more stringent than on Yom Kippur, we are only allowed to study certain portions of the Torah and Talmud on Tisha B'Av.

OBSERVANCES:

The observance of Tisha B'Av begins with the Seudah HaMafseket, the last meal before the fast commences.

NOTE: During years when the fast starts on Saturday night we do not have a seuda HaMafseket.

Unlike the elaborate feast we have before Yom Kippur, this meal is typically one course, usually consisting of a hard-boiled egg and some bread. Also, this meal is generally not eaten with others to avoid having a Zimmun (quorum for public blessing) at Birchat HaMazon. Zimmun indicates permanence, habit and durability. We avoid the Zimmun because we’d prefer not to make this mournful meal a recurring experience. It is customary to eat this meal seated on the floor or a low stool.

* Until Mincha on Tisha B'Av one should try to avoid sitting on a chair or bench. Instead, the custom is to stand or sit on the floor, just like a mourner during the Shiva (traditional seven days of mourning a loved one).

* Beginning at Mincha sitting on chairs is permitted, and we reduce the intensity of the grief that has pervaded us so far. Also, men put on Tefillin and recite those Tefillot that were omitted at Shacharit.

* It is forbidden to greet friends or acquaintances on Tisha B'Av. However, if greeted first, one should answer, but in a low tone in order not to arouse resentment.

* At the evening Ma'ariv service, the entire congregation sits on the floor and recites the Book of Eicha (Lamentations) where the prophet Jeremiah weeps the destruction, and we weep with him.

* The morning of Tisha B'Av is the saddest part of the day. We recite Kinot, and the men do not don Tefillin at Shacharit, because Tefillin are called "Pe-ar," "Glory," and this is definitely not a day of glory for the Jewish People.

The Three Weeks

This period of time is known as Bein HaM'Tzarim, "between the straits", because it says in Eicha (Chapter 1, verse 3): "and her pursuers overtook her between the straits", referring to the calamitous events that befell the Jewish people between Shivah Asar B'Tammuz and Tisha B'Av. (Some of the prohibitions and customs we observe during this period are mentioned here. For specific questions contact a Rabbi.)

* Visiting cinemas, theaters, concert halls or any other place where there is public entertainment is strictly prohibited.

* With the exception of socks and undergarments, new clothes should not be purchased.

* Haircuts are forbidden. According to some authorities, men who shave daily for business reasons may shave during this period.

The Nine Days

The intensity of the three week mourning period increases with the onset of Rosh Chodesh Menachem Av. So, in addition to those items mentioned below, during the days between Rosh Chodesh and Tisha B'Av, we are prohibited from:

* Building or performing alterations in one’s home, unless the work is important repair work. This prohibition includes painting, wall papering and other forms of home decorations.

* Eating meat or drinking wine, except on Shabbat.

* Giving clothing to or getting clothing back from the cleaners or doing laundry. Children’s clothing, especially babies and infants, may be cleaned during this period. Also, this restriction doesn’t apply to clothing warn directly against the body which requires frequent changing.

* Weaving, knitting and needle craft work, with the exception of repairing torn clothing, is prohibited during this period.

* Swimming and bathing for pleasure is prohibited. Taking a bath or shower for hygiene purposes is permitted. Children in camp may go swimming during the instructional swim period. Visiting a Mikveh when necessary is permitted.

* The Shabbat before Tisha B'Av is called Shabbat Chazon because the Haftorah that morning begins with the word Chazon.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 05:11:40 PM by muman613 »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 05:14:20 PM »
One custom not mentioned in that OU site is that we are not supposed to listen to Instrumental music. I have a couple of good CD's burned for the Three Weeks which consist of only A Kapella {vocal} music only...

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 07:07:33 PM »

You can learn the sections about tisha b'av, like the gemara about kamtza and bar kamtza, the destruction of jerusalem, etc... 

And one can definitely learn about tragic events in Jewish history, which I think is most appropriate for the day, including the Shoah, expulsion from Spain etc...

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 08:11:13 PM »
Actually, I think I'll take the forum offline for tonight and tomorrow. 

Offline Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 08:17:39 PM »
                                                                                                                                                 בס''ד

There is no need to close down the forum on Tisha BeAv. People are permitted to use their computers and post messages on this day.

We are not permitted to study Torah because such study gives us tremendous pleasure and this is a day of mourning when we remember numerous tragedies that occurred.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 09:57:37 PM »
Thank you Moshe & Muman.  :)
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani