Author Topic: 27 MILLION AMERICANS ON ANTIDEPRESSANTS !  (Read 1226 times)

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
27 MILLION AMERICANS ON ANTIDEPRESSANTS !
« on: August 03, 2009, 08:27:00 PM »
 Use of antidepressant drugs in the United States doubled between 1996 and 2005, probably because of a mix of factors, researchers reported on Monday.

About 6 percent of people were prescribed an antidepressant in 1996 -- 13 million people. This rose to more than 10 percent or 27 million people by 2005, the researchers found.

"Significant increases in antidepressant use were evident across all sociodemographic groups examined, except African Americans," Dr. Mark Olfson of Columbia University in New York and Steven Marcus of the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia wrote in the Archives of General Psychiatry.

"Not only are more U.S. residents being treated with antidepressants, but also those who are being treated are receiving more antidepressant prescriptions," they added.

More than 164 million prescriptions were written in 2008 for antidepressants, totaling $9.6 billion in U.S. sales, according to IMS Health.

Drugs that affect the brain chemical serotonin like GlaxoSmithKline's <GSK.L> Paxil, known generically as paroxetine, and Eli Lilly and Co's <LLY.N> Prozac, known generically as fluoxetine, are the most commonly prescribed class of antidepressant. But the study found the effect in all classes of the drugs.

Olfson and Marcus looked at the Medical Expenditure Panel Surveys done by the U.S. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, involving more than 50,000 people in 1996 and 2005.

"During this period, individuals treated with antidepressants became more likely to also receive treatment with antipsychotic medications and less likely to undergo psychotherapy," they wrote.

SOCIAL ACCEPTANCE

The survey did not look at why, but the researchers made some educated guesses. It may be more socially acceptable to be diagnosed with and treated for depression, they said. The availability of new drugs may also have been a factor.

"Although there was little change in total promotional spending for antidepressants between 1999 ($0.98 billion) and 2005 ($1.02 billion), there was a marked increase in the percentage of this spending that was devoted to direct-to consumer advertising, from 3.3 percent ($32 million) to 12 percent ($122.00 million)," they added.

Dr. Eric Caine of the University of Rochester in New York said he was concerned by the findings. "Antidepressants are only moderately effective on population level," he said in a telephone interview.

Caine, who was not involved in the research, noted that several studies show therapy is as effective as, if not more effective than, drug use alone.

"There are no data to say that the population is healthier. Indeed, the suicide rate in the middle years of life has been climbing," he said.

Olfson and Marcus said out-of-pocket costs for psychotherapy and lower insurance coverage for such visits may have driven patients away from seeing therapists in favor of an easy-to-prescribe pill.

The rise in antidepressant prescriptions also is seen despite a series of public health warnings on use of antidepressant drugs beginning in 2003 after clinical trials showed they increased the risk of suicidal thoughts and behaviors in children and teens.

In February 2005, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration added its strongest warning, a so-called black box, on the use of all antidepressants in children and teens.

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N03411375.htm

This would Explain Barack Hussein Osama success... American People are Zombies!

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: 27 MILLION AMERICANS ON ANTIDEPRESSANTS !
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 02:11:42 AM »
Makes sense. Mental illness is like any other sickness.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 02:15:11 AM »
Makes sense. Mental illness is like any other sickness.

I don't know what you mean by this? Do you mean the more people are mentally ill because it is contagious?

To me this is evidence that the pharmacuetical companies are pushing drugs on the population. There are many ritalin horror stories out there. The doctors are too quick to prescribe certain psychotic medicines.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 02:37:53 AM »
No I mean that some people are actually sick and need medications because their brain chemicals don't function properly. I know 27 million don't need it, but perhaps a good 13 million do.

Offline MasterWolf1

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 03:07:56 AM »
This whole nation has gone into mental illness after what they voted for
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 06:57:01 AM »
IMO, Most American get really depressed when they realize that all that the  Media and TV show them about life and all the goods there are to be had, they never get!
All the Lies and make belief in movies and entertainment are NOT Real and their spouse is NOT that which is portrayed on screen,  their lives become meaningless because they don't measure up!
 People resort to Antidepressant, Drugs and Alcohol precisely what The Great Dan Ben Noah said: Lack of Spirituality and G-d!

Offline Abben

• Master JTFer
  • Down with obama!
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 07:29:07 AM »
No I mean that some people are actually sick and need medications because their brain chemicals don't function properly. I know 27 million don't need it, but perhaps a good 13 million do.

you honestly think 13 million people need those pills? Cause I think the number is way less. Also some of those anti depression pills also relive pain

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 10:38:56 AM »
I wouldn't knock these medications.  They have also helped people. 

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 11:15:28 AM »
I wouldn't say they never are useful but I agree with everyone in this thread who says they are overused. Depression is generally a spiritual problem (emptiness inside stemming from a lack of hope for the future), a normal reaction to poor life circumstances, or the result of being intelligent, educated, and keenly aware of all of life's problems.

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Wake up America, Obama is the enemy!
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 12:22:25 PM »
Antidepressants actually make people worse. While they provide relief from depression, it's done by artificial stimulation of the endorphins.
Once the drugs are not available, the person gets worse than before they started taking the drug.

My daughter's girlfriend was on zanax. Her girlfriend told her when she went off the zanax, she saw heads and body parts in her washing machine.
She flipped out completely when her prescription was empty. Once she began taking the Zanax again, her hallucinations disappeared.

Personally when I get a bout of depression, I pray 24/7 and before I know it G-d has answered my prayers.

Walking, or any form of exercise or reaching out to others helps just as well.

Shalom - Dox   

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Wake up America, Obama is the enemy!
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 12:27:32 PM »
I wouldn't say they never are useful but I agree with everyone in this thread who says they are overused. Depression is generally a spiritual problem (emptiness inside stemming from a lack of hope for the future), a normal reaction to poor life circumstances, or the result of being intelligent, educated, and keenly aware of all of life's problems.

You hit it on the nail. Excellent description. When people have more on their plates than they can bear, depression sets in, and I swear from personal experience praying to Hashem is what cures me.

Shalom - Dox

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 12:44:16 PM »
Yes. Laughing, releases endorphins into your brain and actually that can also kill pain (after 20 minutes of laughter). Proverbs says "laughter is good medicine" and it is so very true.

People should spend more time laughing than taking anti-depressents, it will make them feel better.

it's true, anti-depressents just make you worse, they might help for a bit, but the body wises up and says "hey, this is artificial" and goes back to the way it was before.

Some depression could be organic (ie: pain issues, etc) but that is why prayer is good and laughing and being around funny people and trying to think of the good and lovely things (like the bible says to do)...

Some people might be so horribly depressed though or in alot of physical pain and they need it for awhile. But yeah, I used to be a Residential Counselor in a group home for teenagers and they put one of those kids on prozac, later he flipped out and ended up on the roof with glass trying to kill himself.... :'( I think the prozac did it...he needed G-d in his life, more than that I think.

Did anyone watch that Robin Williams movie about Patch Adams? There really IS a Patch Adams (I have one of his books) and that movie was true about his life.

I really like Patch Adams.

HERE IS A CLIP FROM THE MOVIE, where Robin Williams (as Patch Adams) is explaining to the head of the medical school what he was doing in the room, making the patients laugh.....

He gave the doctor a scientific explanation, then left the room... :::D :laugh: :::D

and it was correct....

They tried to kick Patch out of the medical program, but it didn't work. He fought and he won.

All of his patients, while in medical school, recovered quicker and got out of the hospital sooner than anyone else, cuz he spent time making them laugh.

Go figure... :laugh:

SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 01:07:30 PM »
I take Zoloft and before it I was helpless (without getting into details). I know there are people out there who really need the stuff. Again, maybe not 27 million, but a good portion, that's for true.

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 04:59:11 PM »
True. There are people who need it.....it is up to each of them to decide what is best for them. Especially because everyone reacts differently.

I take Zoloft and before it I was helpless (without getting into details). I know there are people out there who really need the stuff. Again, maybe not 27 million, but a good portion, that's for true.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל