Author Topic: Not all athletes are evil, you know?  (Read 2536 times)

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
Not all athletes are evil, you know?
« on: August 11, 2009, 12:34:32 AM »
http://www.athletesforcharity.com/foundation.php  

Check this out before you argue.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
Re: Not all athletes are evil, you know?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 12:40:59 AM »
Well, people can be involved with charities just to maximize their prestige in the eyes of the public.

I agree with you, albeit the athletes that aren't evil are clearly in the minority. Hockey players (Patrick Kane notwithstanding) are worlds cleaner and more law-abiding than the other major sports though.

Offline Confederate Kahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 01:42:34 AM »
I think it has more to do with the culture of professional sports rather than the athletes themselves. The fact that professional athletes get paid such ridiculous amounts of money is absurd, and some of it comes from our own pockets. We idolize many of them, yet most of them turn out to be cheaters (Alex Rodriguez, Marion Jones, ect..) or worse, criminals, murderers (like O.J. Simpson) and drug-dealers. People spend so much time watching sports and cheering for their favorite teams instead of doing something productive. In many ways, it does degrade our culture as much as it gives us pleasure.

You also have Pete Rose who betted against his own team. 
Chad M ~ Your rebel against white guilt

Offline Confederate Kahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 01:44:21 AM »
You are right.  You cant say a whole group of people like athletes are evil. 
Chad M ~ Your rebel against white guilt

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 02:40:33 AM »
In some ways sports is the opiate of the masses... Just like the gladiators of Edom.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 03:02:11 AM »
In some ways sports is the opiate of the masses... Just like the gladiators of Edom.
Agreed completely. I still like my Ducks though.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 03:36:26 AM »
Sports is about the most boring thing in the world to me. Most of it involves watching people run back and forth or in circles.

Offline TruthSpreader

• Silver Star JTF Member
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WeThePeopleZeb
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 06:39:04 AM »
Most athletes nowadays use steroids and other drugs to "enchance" their performance see baseball and professonal wrestling for example.
Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision

Offline takebackourtemple

• Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 07:15:12 AM »
   This discussion started as a PM between me and Mo2388. While I generally don't post PMs I want to clarify that I'm not against all athletes.
   I'm against the culture. I'm against what most athletes do. I'm against the big corporations that run it. I'm against big government involvement and tax payer money going to it. I'm against fans that act out of control and destroy public property and attack other fans(supposedly based on the results of the game).
   If an athlete wants to give charity that is great, but anyone from any profession can and should give to charity. The only difference between the athletes and us is that they have higher salaries. To the best of my knowledge the bulk of charity from professional sports does not go to worthy charities either. Ones that give money to Africa actually end up making the problems worse there whether intentional or unintentional.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 10:46:25 AM »
Out of the thousands of athletes in the world today, you're bound to find several bad apples. A non-sports fan can't really have an opinion because you can't judge fairly on what you've never experienced. There are millions of sports fans in the world and sports have become an integral part of culture - - - too integral to ignore. It's unfair to outlaw everyone based on a few bad things. If you're going to do that you might as well outlaw everything else because there's bad in everything.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 01:21:30 PM »
I think the problem Takebackourtemple has with the sports industry is that quite a few individual baseball, basketball and football players are bad people in their personal lives, yet they're practically worshipped by adoring fans. 

I think don't think tennis has that problem. 

Also, I like to watch figure skating on TV. 

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 03:50:18 PM »
I think the problem Takebackourtemple has with the sports industry is that quite a few individual baseball, basketball and football players are bad people in their personal lives, yet they're practically worshipped by adoring fans. 

I think don't think tennis has that problem. 

Also, I like to watch figure skating on TV. 

Again, there is bad with everything - - - Internet, cops, government - - - why can't we focus on the good and enjoy it?

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 06:44:07 PM »
   When it comes to professional sports we are counting the few good apples instead of the few bad ones. I don't know enough about tennis to comment, but I have family members that trained for figure skating at Olympic facilities and if you think it is a bunch of good little girls and a few homosexual guys, guess again. These figure skaters have to be cut throat to succeed and that includes doing things like putting nair in shampoo, stealing skates, making false accusations and assaulting each other. The Tanya Harding incident is the norm and not the exception.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 06:52:15 PM »
   When it comes to professional sports we are counting the few good apples instead of the few bad ones. I don't know enough about tennis to comment, but I have family members that trained for figure skating at Olympic facilities and if you think it is a bunch of good little girls and a few homosexual guys, guess again. These figure skaters have to be cut throat to succeed and that includes doing things like putting nair in shampoo, stealing skates, making false accusations and assaulting each other. The Tanya Harding incident is the norm and not the exception.

I see what you're saying.  However, you could also say that the business world is cutthroat as well. 

Tonya Harding is a piece of trash. 

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 08:36:50 PM »

I see what you're saying.  However, you could also say that the business world is cutthroat as well. 

Tonya Harding is a piece of trash. 

The business world is. That's why groups like JTF are needed to fight for our country's values.