Author Topic: Correct translation - I need help  (Read 2138 times)

Offline Kerber

• Pro JTFer
Correct translation - I need help
« on: September 02, 2009, 08:54:13 AM »
Book of Job; 2:9.
I see that almost all English translations are saying "curse God",but in my Serbian translation it is said "bless God".
Is it "curse" or "bless"?

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Correct translation - I need help
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 09:54:59 AM »
In Hebrew it says bless, but the meaning is curse. In the Hebrew bible the word "curse" is inverted to "bless" when adjacent to the word "G-d".

Offline Kerber

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 10:21:18 AM »
In Hebrew it says bless, but the meaning is curse. In the Hebrew bible the word "curse" is inverted to "bless" when adjacent to the word "G-d".
OK,thank you!
Can you(or someone else) tell me how it is said in Hebrew,which verb is used and a little bit of explanation of that verb(if needed)?
I'm asking this because I was asked by someone to explain this.I don't know the exact and authentic words in Hebrew used here,but I think it is needed to know to understand it better.

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 10:56:00 AM »
  ט וַתֹּאמֶר לוֹ אִשְׁתּוֹ, עֹדְךָ מַחֲזִיק בְּתֻמָּתֶךָ; בָּרֵךְ אֱלֹהִים, וָמֻת.
"And his wife told him, you still cling to your innocence; bless God, and die. "
the word ברך Barech, means bless (in the commanding form of the verb).

What the verse actually means, is that the wife advices Job to curse God so that he would die and his miseries end.

Offline Kerber

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 12:01:39 PM »
  ט וַתֹּאמֶר לוֹ אִשְׁתּוֹ, עֹדְךָ מַחֲזִיק בְּתֻמָּתֶךָ; בָּרֵךְ אֱלֹהִים, וָמֻת.
"And his wife told him, you still cling to your innocence; bless G-d, and die. "
the word ברך Barech, means bless (in the commanding form of the verb).

What the verse actually means, is that the wife advices Job to curse G-d so that he would die and his miseries end.
Yes,I understand the meaning of the verse.
Thank you for your answer.