Poll

What do you think is the greatest invention/breakthrough ever?

Modern Plumbing
2 (8.7%)
Printing Press
9 (39.1%)
Automobile
0 (0%)
Pesticides
0 (0%)
Steam Engine
0 (0%)
Computers
6 (26.1%)
Transistors
0 (0%)
Plastic
0 (0%)
Harnessed Electricity
3 (13%)
Immunization / Antibiotics
2 (8.7%)
Other
1 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Greatest invention/breakthrough ever  (Read 2059 times)

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
Greatest invention/breakthrough ever
« on: October 01, 2009, 09:51:42 AM »
Nu, what do you think? I got the choices from here http://listverse.com/2007/09/13/top-10-greatest-inventions/  and here is another site with some great inventions, too  http://corporate.britannica.com/press/inventions.html  Enjoy! and explain your votes. I want to see how many people will entertain this thread because I find it quite interesting.

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Greatest invention/breakthrough ever
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 09:52:59 AM »
I chose the meds because w/out our health, who are we and what would we be able to do?

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 09:57:53 AM »
I say printing press because that's how people are able to communicate important ideas (like science). The other innovations wouldn't have been happening as easily without it.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 10:01:52 AM »
Oh man, I forgot Ketchup.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 10:36:58 AM »
Computers are one of mans greatest and most complex inventions. The transistor and electronics are next because without them computers would not be possible, and of course without electricity computers are not functional...

Computers allow humanity to model the world and learn new things. Computers are vital to run many important processes in our lives.

It is one of the things I am proud about in my life that I have contributed my entire adult life to developing low-level software {operating systems} for modern computers. I worked at the forefront of digital video in the mid to late 80s and worked with the biggest names in the industry.

Maybe my opinion is biased, but I stand by it..

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline NRAJ

• Full JTFer
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 11:26:14 AM »
I went with harnessed electricity because much of the things on that list would we usless without it.I think light bulb was very important too.

Offline Ithaca-37

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 11:32:28 AM »
The comments about the printing press are quite valid, but I'll go with antibiotics/ immunizations.  It's hard to imagine that only 150 years ago, there was no understanding of germs.  When Louis Pasteur first proposed that humans were dying because of tiny 'invaders' too small to see, Pasteur was ridiculed as a madman.  Doctors would pass illness from patient to patient because they would refuse to wash their hands or their instruments, etc, even if they just finished an autopsy.  Standards of public sanitation were horrific, because there was no grasp that filth = disease.  Families were large by necessity, because parents just accepted the fact that some of their kids would die from diphtheria and whooping cough.  It goes on and on.

Consider this:  The Second World War was said to be the first in all history where more soldiers died from battlefield wounds rather than by illness.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 12:06:40 PM »
I chose computers.  An unbelievable leap in technology that brought us to a new plane of development.  It opened up a new world of opportunity.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 12:08:15 PM »
I chose modern plumbing.  If not, we would have sewage all over the streets.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 12:08:30 PM »
I say printing press because that's how people are able to communicate important ideas (like science). The other innovations wouldn't have been happening as easily without it.

Yes, this is right.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Wake up America, Obama is the enemy!
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 12:11:27 PM »
I also chose printing press.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 12:26:41 PM »
The comments about the printing press are quite valid, but I'll go with antibiotics/ immunizations.  It's hard to imagine that only 150 years ago, there was no understanding of germs.  When Louis Pasteur first proposed that humans were dying because of tiny 'invaders' too small to see, Pasteur was ridiculed as a madman.  Doctors would pass illness from patient to patient because they would refuse to wash their hands or their instruments, etc, even if they just finished an autopsy.  Standards of public sanitation were horrific, because there was no grasp that filth = disease.  Families were large by necessity, because parents just accepted the fact that some of their kids would die from diphtheria and whooping cough.  It goes on and on.

Consider this:  The Second World War was said to be the first in all history where more soldiers died from battlefield wounds rather than by illness.

You didn't vote, lol.

Offline Irish Zionist

• Forum Administrator
  • Ultimate JTFer
    • My zootube channel
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 12:29:06 PM »
Think about it, where would we be without Modern Plumbing
The banding together by the nations of the world against Israel is the guarantee that their time of destruction is near and the final redemption of the Jew at hand.
Rabbi Meir Kahane

Offline Manch

• Master JTFer
  • Kahane Tzadak!
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 04:44:46 PM »
Ability to create and tame Fire and invention of a wheel
Hayot Araviot Masrihot

Offline patches

• Senior JTFer
  • To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 04:54:44 PM »
I put Printing Press, but I agree. Creating/taming of fire is probably most important.

Although does the question imply it has to be a homo-sapien invention? They say neanderthals and possibly homo-erectus used fire, at least for warmth if not for cooking.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 05:04:30 PM by patches »

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 05:10:19 PM »
All were great including fire. But my heart goes to printing press.
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 07:00:17 PM »
I would like to take this opportunity to thank Hashem for the following seven creations:

Time
Space
The Proton
The Electron
The Atom
The Molecule
The DNA Molecule

Without any of these creations nothing would exist as we know it...

Baruch Hashem!

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2009, 07:19:53 PM »
What a racist you are, Mo! Listing all these amazing inventions and omitting the fact that black science created them!  ???

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2009, 08:48:26 PM »
I noticed how they say that the wheel was invented by "aryans". Theres no such thing as aryans. The wheel was invented in many places because it was an obvious need.

U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2009, 08:49:32 PM »
And they forgot the genius peanut boy.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2009, 08:50:52 PM »

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2009, 08:52:10 PM »

Nonono! That peanut boy was half black. That makes him a genius.

U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2009, 08:53:12 PM »

Nonono! That peanut boy was half black. That makes him a genius.

Yeah look at his arms and legs they are black

Offline takebackourtemple

• Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2009, 09:31:31 PM »
All were great including fire. But my heart goes to printing press.

Now we are getting into hashem's inventions which are far greater than anything man can invent. Keep in mind that without electricity, you wouldn't have the chemical reaction to produce the light from combustion(fire). I won't go too far into the subatomic. I do find it interesting that just by breathing we are performing the same chemical reaction as when you burn something. Only at a slower rate without the heat and the light. I guess combustion is not completely prohibited on shabbat.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline Muck DeFuslims

• Master JTFer
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2009, 09:42:34 PM »
That's really a very good list, Mo.

All of them are fantastic discoveries/inventions/breakthroughs.

Hard to classify any individual one as being the 'greatest'. Many are related and/or interdependent upon each other.

I'd vote for the harnessing of electricity. My reason for doing so would be that the harnessing of electric power, in my opinion, has had the greatest impact on the lives of people living in the civilized world today.

As Muman pointed out, transistors and computers aren't even possible without electricity.

We tend to take for granted the conveniences and essential services that are made possible only with the advent of electrical power.

Imagine no light bulbs. Imagine no refrigeration or air conditioning. No television, radio, movies.

If your power has ever gone out for a prolonged period, I'm sure you know how much we depend on electricity. It's hard to imagine living without it.

The harnessing of electrical power has had a profound impact on the development of modern civilization. And since electrical power is the backbone of information technologies, we've only scratched the surface of it's ultimate impact on humanity.

PS to muman613:

Your thanking Hashem for creation, although done tongue in cheek, really is the bottom line. Of course, anything and everything; space, time, our very existence, is only possible because of the creation of the universe.

I believe it was Nachmonidies that said there was only one physical creation. This initial creation was the size of a mustard grain and a 'substance without substance'. Fascinating, isn't it ? A substance without substance. Sounds like he was talking about a bit of pure energy somehow expanding and coalescing into protons, electrons, atoms and eventually all matter itself. Similar to how modern physics envisions the Big Bang. Nachmonidies also states that time 'grabs a hold' only after matter coalesces. An amazing insight, and one that should make any agnostic question where such knowledge could have come from.