Author Topic: Budapest  (Read 2432 times)

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE
Re: Budapest
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2009, 12:33:23 PM »
Budapest has the most wonderful synagogue in the World, and it is the largest in Europe.

We are giants, giants in love...and if you ask that who are we, then you must be a dwarf.

Offline hyperion

• Full JTFer
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2009, 02:12:08 PM »
A virtual tour of the synagogue in Dohany street, click on the "3D virtuális séta" button.
http://virtualbudapest.eu/dohany-utcai-zsinagoga

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2009, 02:49:31 PM »
A virtual tour of the synagogue in Dohany street, click on the "3D virtuális séta" button.
http://virtualbudapest.eu/dohany-utcai-zsinagoga

It is fantastic, thanks Hyperion, really great.  :dance:
We are giants, giants in love...and if you ask that who are we, then you must be a dwarf.

Offline hyperion

• Full JTFer
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2009, 02:54:24 PM »
Your welcome.  :dance:

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2009, 03:01:33 PM »
Your welcome.  :dance:

Hava nagila!  :dance:

I can say, that Budapest has the most beautiful synagogue in the World, and it is the largest in Europe!

But as you could see Budapest is a wonderful capital with important Jewish heritage. ;)

Offline Ithaca-37

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2009, 06:48:59 PM »
The magnificent neo-gothic structure shown several times in these photos (particularly the second photo) is the Hungarian parliament building.  I was in Budapest years ago, and the Hungarian tour guide bribed a soldier guarding the main door to let us tag along on a tour of of Hungarian school children.  Believe me, the building is just as impressive inside.

About that guard, I was a bit worried when that tour guide offered that bribe, thinking that he might get our little group in trouble.  The guard accepted the bribe so readily that I wondered if the Cold War could have been settled with just more cash and less arms. (grin)

Of course, like many of those countries in central/ southern/ eastern Europe, the Hungarians never much liked their Russian overseers, so they probably felt that they were due their fair share of graft.

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2009, 08:10:32 PM »
The magnificent neo-gothic structure shown several times in these photos (particularly the second photo) is the Hungarian parliament building.  I was in Budapest years ago, and the Hungarian tour guide bribed a soldier guarding the main door to let us tag along on a tour of of Hungarian school children.  Believe me, the building is just as impressive inside.

About that guard, I was a bit worried when that tour guide offered that bribe, thinking that he might get our little group in trouble.  The guard accepted the bribe so readily that I wondered if the Cold War could have been settled with just more cash and less arms. (grin)

Of course, like many of those countries in central/ southern/ eastern Europe, the Hungarians never much liked their Russian overseers, so they probably felt that they were due their fair share of graft.

Good to hear that you liked the parliament. Really beautiful:

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2009, 08:12:01 PM »

I'm glad you liked it. Many times they offer the visit for totally FREE. :)

Offline Manch

• Master JTFer
  • Kahane Tzadak!
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2009, 02:06:47 AM »
gorgeous! Thanks for posting!
Hayot Araviot Masrihot

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2009, 07:59:20 AM »
gorgeous! Thanks for posting!

You are welcome. :)