Author Topic: Real Clean Energy for the 21st Century? The Bloom Box Buzz  (Read 539 times)

Offline Confederate Kahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
Real Clean Energy for the 21st Century? The Bloom Box Buzz
« on: February 24, 2010, 06:54:14 PM »
http://www.care2.com/causes/trailblazers/blog/the-bloom-box-buzz-clean-energy-for-the-21st-century/

Suzi Schiffer Parrasch

It’s bigger than a breadbox, but smaller than a power plant. It’s the size of a refrigerator, and according to its inventor, it can power the world. Is K.R. Srindhar’s Bloom Box “the next big thing”?

Srindhar has been highly secretive about his invention – his website Bloomenergy.com cryptically counting down to the official launch – tomorrow -- but ever since CBS News 60 Minutes rolled out a story about the Bloom Box on Sunday, and gave the first inside look, one thing it has generated is an enormous amount of speculation about whether or not the Bloom Box is for real.

In a word, Bloom Box promises to produce clean, cheap energy, anywhere, anytime, and with no emissions whatsoever– the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Srindhar, founder of Bloom Energy in Sunnyvale, CA, has been working on the concept for over a decade. He originally invented a similar device for NASA that would produce oxygen on Mars. When NASA scrapped the project, Srindhar got to thinking. If he reversed the device, he could pump oxygen into it rather than having it make oxygen. And if he could do that, he could create clean energy.

In 2001 Srindhar took his idea to John Doerr a powerhouse with the Silicon Valley venture capital firm Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, and the guy who had discovered such game changers as Amazon, Google, and Netscape. “When he listened to Sridhar, the idea seemed just as transformative: efficient, inexpensive, clean energy out of a box,” said Lesley Stahl in her 60 Minutes piece. Doerr told Stahl Bloom Box was the firm's first clean energy investment.  “But there was a selling point: clean energy was an emerging market, worth gazillions.”

The Bloom Box relies on fuel cells, basically very thin batteries that resemble individual CD cases. Srindhar’s fuel cell is made of simple beach sand baked into a ceramic square and painted with special green and black inks he invented. That’s it. You feed oxygen into one side of the unit and fuel into the other. The chemical reaction inside the cell creates energy – with no need for combustion, no burning, no power lines laced in or out of it.  What’s the fuel source? Bio gas, natural gas, even solar power can do it.

Each fuel cell is enough to power one light bulb. But the idea of course is they’re stacked together, sandwiched with metal alloy plates, formed into small bricks, then housed inside refrigerator-sized units.  The taller the stack, the more energy.  According to the 60 Minutes piece 64 stacks would power a small business such as a Starbucks store. Two small bricks: enough to power the average American home.

Right now, Sirndhar has a good twenty companies in his fold, including Ebay, Google, FedEx, Staples, and Walmart.  Ebay’ s CEO John Donahoe told 60 Minutes that his company has saved about $100,00 in the nine months since it installed five Bloom Boxes to power about 15% of its San Jose, CA campus.

But what of the cost? Corporate boxes run between $700,00 to $800,000 a piece. Srindhar wants to get costs down to about $3,000 for a private home, which as trade industry website Fuel Cell Today says, would be “a big improvement from the $800,000 box of today.”  What’s more, as an article on Bloom Box in The Christian Science Monitor yesterday said, “other bigger energy companies may be more capable of producing less-expensive fuel cell units and beat Bloom Energy to the market.”

But is it possible at all, by anyone? Some are skeptical since fuel cell technology has always been costly and high maintenance. As Michael Kanellos, editor in chief of the website GreenTech Media, and which covers the clean energy market, told 60 Minutes:  “People have tried fuel cells since the 1830s. And they're great ideas, right? But they're not easy. They're like the divas of industrial equipment.”

And, according to a Wall Street Journal blog yesterday, “There are apparent challenges. Utility substations do not have natural gas lines and space often is at a premium.”

The pot of gold at the end of the rainbow? Maybe – Srindhar sees a Bloom Box in every home by the end of the next decade, not just here in the U.S. but in Africa, China, and his native India as well.  John Doerr has reportedly pumped a whopping $400 million in the Bloom Energy, high even by vc standards. Why? As he told 60 Minutes: "I like to say that the new energy technologies could be the largest economic opportunity of the 21st century."
Chad M ~ Your rebel against white guilt

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Real Clean Energy for the 21st Century? The Bloom Box Buzz
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 07:16:44 PM »
They showed the thing on Fox News just before. The guy was holding up a cube about a foot square and said it could soon power an average home. They showed bigger ones that are now powering a large building owned by Ebay. It looks really interesting however my question is being it uses natural gas would  it be a cost effective solution to put something like this in each and every home. If a thing this size could produce that amount of power I see no reason why it could not be mounted in an electric car. It could produce hours and hours of run time on a tank of natural gas. Besides the fuel saving benefit of powering the car with an electric motor the cell is said to produce power with no emissions.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 07:22:08 PM »
Who wants a LNG plant in their neighborhood? In my hometown a few years ago they proposed to build one nearby. The city, myself included, was against this plan and in the end they decided against it. A couple of weeks ago a LNG plant which was being constructed in Connecticut {the state I grew up in} blew up killing several construction workers. I wonder about the danger of explosion, the smell, and other issues which cause property prices to dip when discussion of building Liquid Natural Gas plants are started.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 07:33:15 PM »
Well a year or so ago they wanted to place a giant LNG barge in the middle of Long Island Sound. They wanted to place it about 8 miles from the shore line where the never used Shoreham Nuclear power house was built. The people fought off the powerhouse about 20 years back only to be faced with another ticking time bomb. Thank G-d that the state decided to kill the project. With all the lunatics  around today trying to blow things up I could see something like that being a real danger.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline WestCoastJTF

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Senior JTFer
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 08:47:31 PM »
Who wants a LNG plant in their neighborhood? In my hometown a few years ago they proposed to build one nearby. The city, myself included, was against this plan and in the end they decided against it. A couple of weeks ago a LNG plant which was being constructed in Connecticut {the state I grew up in} blew up killing several construction workers. I wonder about the danger of explosion, the smell, and other issues which cause property prices to dip when discussion of building Liquid Natural Gas plants are started.

If memory serves, natural gas has no smell.  That "rotten egg" smell is added by the gas company as it is shipped to you, so that you will know if there is a leak.

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 09:30:58 PM »
Well a year or so ago they wanted to place a giant LNG barge in the middle of Long Island Sound. They wanted to place it about 8 miles from the shore line where the never used Shoreham Nuclear power house was built. The people fought off the powerhouse about 20 years back only to be faced with another ticking time bomb. Thank G-d that the state decided to kill the project. With all the lunatics  around today trying to blow things up I could see something like that being a real danger.

As a rule of thumb, 9/10 or more lunatics are... Scuzlims.  I am sure that if we found a way off of Saudi power they may attack it.  One more reason to deport these godless Koranimals back to the hellholes they emerge from; whats so bad about being in Mecca?
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein