Author Topic: Attorney: Obama's remark reflects 'mob rule' mentality  (Read 405 times)

Offline Confederate Kahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
Attorney: Obama's remark reflects 'mob rule' mentality
« on: March 11, 2010, 06:24:17 PM »
http://www.onenewsnow.com/Politics/Default.aspx?id=931688

Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts has taken issue with President Obama for comments during the State of the Union address.

During his speech in late January, the president criticized the Supreme Court for its recent decision on the McCain-Feingold campaign finance law. "With all due deference to the separation of powers, the Supreme Court reversed a century of law to open the floodgates for special interests -- including foreign corporations -- to spend without limit in our elections," Obama said while six of the nine justices were seated before him.

Chief Justice John Roberts (U.S. Supreme Court)Speaking in Alabama on Tuesday, Roberts acknowledged anyone is free to criticize the court -- but that "the setting, the circumstances, and the decorum" must be considered.

"The image of having the members of one branch of government standing up, literally surrounding the Supreme Court, cheering and hollering while the court -- according the requirements of protocol -- has to sit there expressionless, I think is very troubling," said the chief justice. (See earlier article)

Matt Barber of Liberty Counsel believes Roberts' comment about the president's statement as being "very troubling" is generous. Barber contends the administration has become more of a "mob rule."

"And when I say 'mob rule,' I mean the Chicago mob mentality [as compared to] what we would expect, the type of professionalism and presidential presentation," Barber clarifies. "President Obama has really besmirched the office -- [he] has really lowered what we have come to expect from the highest office in the world."

Matt BarberOn Tuesday, Roberts questioned whether justices should even be in the audience during the State of the Union address. Barber sympathizes with the chief justice.

"If they're going to be targeted for that and ridiculed -- and, frankly, verbally abused as President Obama did in his most recent State of the Union -- I think Justice Roberts has a good point," says the Liberty Counsel attorney. "Maybe they shouldn't be there if the president is going to take the opportunity to politicize the court and to use the court as a political prop to try to further his agenda."

In additional comments about the annual speech to Congress, Justice Roberts said it has "degenerated into a political pep rally."
Chad M ~ Your rebel against white guilt