Author Topic: Insufficient Vitamin D Levels Linked To Increased Risk Of Asthma In Black Childr  (Read 994 times)

Offline Confederate Kahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
http://www.personalliberty.com/news/insufficient-vitamin-d-levels-linked-to-increased-risk-of-asthma-in-african-american-children-19675275/

Black children with low blood levels of vitamin D may be at a significantly increased risk of developing asthma compared to those with sufficient levels of the nutrient, according to a new study.

Lead author Robert Freishtat, principal investigator at the Children’s Research Institute in Washington, D.C., and his colleagues took blood samples from 85 black children suffering from asthma and compared their vitamin D levels to 21 healthy black children of a similar age.

The researchers were surprised to find that approximately 86 percent of children with asthma had inadequate levels of vitamin D, while only 19 percent of healthy participants suffered from the nutrient deficiency.

“We were shocked to see that almost all of the African-American children with asthma that we tested had low vitamin D levels,” said Freishtat. “After adjusting for differences in age, weight, and the time of year of the testing, the odds of these kids with asthma being vitamin D deficient were nearly twenty times those of healthy kids.”

He added that parents should ensure that their children receive adequate amounts of the nutrient through milk consumption or vitamin supplementation.
Chad M ~ Your rebel against white guilt

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
They need to drink more Vitamin-D enriched milk and fewer sodas

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
The best way would be to add lots of Vitamin D to lead based paint, so that they could supplement their diet when they eat all those paint chips!

Adds a whole new meaning to the term "People of 'Colour'"!

:P

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
Doesn't sun give you a lot of Vitamin D as well? I'm in the sun quite a bit and don't have these problems.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
Doesn't sun give you a lot of Vitamin D as well? I'm in the sun quite a bit and don't have these problems.

Black people don't absorb as much Vitamin D as white people or people with lighter skin tones.

Offline Debbie Shafer

• Ultimate JTFer
In spite of the First Lady's attempts at Good Nutrition, Black childrens diets are poorer than other folks.  They love meats, fatty foods, fried foods, junk food, and carbonated beverages......Vitamin D is very beneficial to prevent many kinds of cancers, especially in the colon, and it is vital to keeping bones from fracturing, especially in the elderly.......

We are what we Eat.....  God has given us an abundance of healthy foods, Why would one choose Junk?

Offline Abben

• Master JTFer
  • Down with obama!
they choose junk food because its all they see in their ghettos I mean neighborhood. Maybe if they mixed kool aid with milk that would help them!

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
my vitamin D is low and I'm,

a. not Black
b. eat healthy

I think this year, we haven't had that much sun and that might be the reason. However, it isn't unusual for for it be found here or there.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
Sometimes blacks don't have grocery stores in their neighborhoods so they shop at convenience stores where there is mostly unhealthy food to eat.

Offline Abben

• Master JTFer
  • Down with obama!
Sometimes blacks don't have grocery stores in their neighborhoods so they shop at convenience stores where there is mostly unhealthy food to eat.

That is so true. I went to school in an all black area(south jamaica) and there wasn't a supermarket. Yet on every other block there was a bodega

Offline TruthSpreader

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WeThePeopleZeb
Well if they drank milk instead of grape soda, that wouldn't be the problem.

Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision

Offline Confederate Kahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member

Where they buy hungry man chicken dinners.
Chad M ~ Your rebel against white guilt