Author Topic: Orthodox Jewish medical doctors  (Read 2539 times)

Moshe92

Orthodox Jewish medical doctors
« on: April 02, 2010, 01:10:01 PM »
I'm becoming more observant, but my parents are discouraging me. I would like to become a medical doctor, and my father who is an anesthesiologist said that being shomer shabbat severely limits your options in terms of medicine. I'll definitely talk to somebody in real life, but is there anybody on this forum who is an Orthodox Jewish doctor or is knowledgeable about this issue? By the way, I want to make aliyah when I'm older, but I'll probably go to medical school and do training in the U.S. if I become a doctor.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Orthodox Jewish medical doctors
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 04:36:14 PM »
I'm becoming more observant, but my parents are discouraging me. I would like to become a medical doctor, and my father who is an anesthesiologist said that being shomer shabbat severely limits your options in terms of medicine. I'll definitely talk to somebody in real life, but is there anybody on this forum who is an Orthodox Jewish doctor or is knowledgeable about this issue? By the way, I want to make aliyah when I'm older, but I'll probably go to medical school and do training in the U.S. if I become a doctor.

I am familiar with this issue... I attend Shabbatons at Touro University's Osteopathic Medicine school and most of my minyan are young men studying to be doctors. They are Shabbat Observant and also are managing to be doctors. It is not easy to maintain full Shabbat observance and work at the same time but I know several who are managing.

http://www.tu.edu/indexca.php
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Orthodox Jewish medical doctors
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 06:38:57 AM »

It is certainly possible to do so.  I know several frum doctors and may become a doctor myself.