Author Topic: Huckabee compares homosexual marriage to incest, polygamy  (Read 692 times)

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
Re: Huckabee likens gay marriage to incest, polygamy
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 05:19:35 PM »
He's 100% right on this, and I dont know why more people/politicians dont bring this up.

What about if 3 people want to get married to eachother?  They are consenting, and who are we to say that their love isnt genuine?

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
Re: Huckabee compares homosexual marriage to incest, polygamy
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 06:40:18 PM »
I agree with him that same-sex couples must not be allowed to adopt under any circumstances, and that marriage among them simply does not exist. He has a point in saying that there are many other kinds of relations like plural marriages or incest, so what's the point of registering just gay couples?
But I strongly disagree with him in that he mentions polygamy in a despective way and compares it with incest, and that he says marriage is for life. I find it strongly offensive to the Patriarchs who did in fact practise polygamy and also got divorced. Abraham had two wives and divorced Hagar. Irseal had four wives. In fact, Judaism does not consider polygamy to be wrong. It's only forbidden now by Ravs for practical reasons.
As I said in another post, I find it wrong for Jews and Noahides to side with right or left wing non-Noahide parties. Jews and Noahides are a minority everywhere (except for Jews in Israel), if right wing Gentiles can claim the numbers argument to ban something, how can we know if some day they will not turn against Judaism also?
By this I am not saying that it's wrong to accept the support of individuals, I am only saying that it's not wise to side with parties or groups which may have their own agenda, and even if their leaders were sincere, we never know where their movements can be lead to by the masses.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 10:11:12 PM »
I agree with him that same-sex couples must not be allowed to adopt under any circumstances, and that marriage among them simply does not exist. He has a point in saying that there are many other kinds of relations like plural marriages or incest, so what's the point of registering just gay couples?
But I strongly disagree with him in that he mentions polygamy in a despective way and compares it with incest, and that he says marriage is for life. I find it strongly offensive to the Patriarchs who did in fact practise polygamy and also got divorced. Abraham had two wives and divorced Hagar. Irseal had four wives. In fact, Judaism does not consider polygamy to be wrong. It's only forbidden now by Ravs for practical reasons.
As I said in another post, I find it wrong for Jews and Noahides to side with right or left wing non-Noahide parties. Jews and Noahides are a minority everywhere (except for Jews in Israel), if right wing Gentiles can claim the numbers argument to ban something, how can we know if some day they will not turn against Judaism also?
By this I am not saying that it's wrong to accept the support of individuals, I am only saying that it's not wise to side with parties or groups which may have their own agenda, and even if their leaders were sincere, we never know where their movements can be lead to by the masses.

It is said that Polygamy may return to being Halachically OK in the future. The ban on Polygamy was only temporary though we still are banned from it due to its negative reaction by the nations.

Also Raulmarrio2000, I don't know if you have heard the story but a Midrash indicates that Abraham may have remarried Hagar after Sarah died. Her name was changed to Keturah {i believe}...

http://www.chabad.org/parshah/article_cdo/aid/2636/jewish/The-Return-of-Hagar.htm

And Abraham again took a wife, and her name was Keturah

Genesis 25:1

Keturah is Hagar. Why is she called Keturah? For her deeds were [now] as pleasing as the ketoret.

Midrash Rabbah on verse

Hagar was the Egyptian maidservant of Abraham's first wife, Sarah. When Sarah had failed to conceive a child after many years of marriage, she implored Abraham to have a child with Hagar. Hagar did give Abraham a child, Ishmael, who turned out "a wild man, whose hand is against everyone and everyone's hand is against him" (Genesis 16:12). Sarah then demanded of Abraham that he banish Hagar and Ishmael from their home. When Abraham hesitated, G-d instructed him, "whatever Sarah tells you to do, hearken to her voice." Hagar drifted back to the paganism of her homeland, and found an Egyptian wife for Ishmael.

Years later, however, we find Ishmael back in the Abrahamic fold, accompanying Abraham and Isaac to the akeidah. And then, three years after Sarah's death, Abraham remarries Hagar. The reconciliation is now complete--indeed it is Sarah's son, Isaac, who brings Hagar back for her marriage with his father (as per Midrash Rabbah on Genesis 24:62).

PS: Homosexual marriage defies the definition of Marriage according to Jewish law. A gay couple can never consumate their relationship and as a result it is not valid. According to Jewish law the commandment to be fruitful and multiply requires sexual reproduction which homosexuals are not capable of.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Shiptar

• Full JTFer
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 10:45:25 PM »
Someone else might come along, but right now i'd say Huckabee is by far the best candidate we have. He is for abolishing the IRS all together and is staunchly pro-israel.

I was watching his show last week and he used this line against Obama "Why in the world are we worried about Jews building bedrooms in Jerusalem, when they are building bombs in Tehran".

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 11:00:51 PM »
Someone else might come along, but right now i'd say Huckabee is by far the best candidate we have. He is for abolishing the IRS all together and is staunchly pro-israel.

I was watching his show last week and he used this line against Obama "Why in the world are we worried about Jews building bedrooms in Jerusalem, when they are building bombs in Tehran".

That it a great line.  Man I hope he is our next president.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 07:51:33 AM »

It is said that Polygamy may return to being Halachically OK in the future. The ban on Polygamy was only temporary though we still are banned from it due to its negative reaction by the nations.   

False.  The "ban" was binding only on a place in Europe and it has long since expired.  Its halachic grounds (a post-Talmudic dictum) were shaky to begin with, but to suggest it is still in effect even after its own stipulated timeframe has expired is completely mistaken.

Sephardim brought multiple wives to Israel, in fact (of course they were never effected by the ban and never had such a ban).  It is only the state of Israel that forced the Sephardim to assimilate the stopped polygamy in its tracks, and the fact that this is seen/considered psychologically as a foreign practice is the reason why no one does it.   There is no real reason why it is halachically forbidden.   If people come to see it as necessary or desirable, it can be done once again.  There is no reason why it can't.   But that would involve women seeing it as necessary and desirable, and well, good luck.    Some cultural phenomena you simply can't undo.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 04:42:09 PM »
Chaim he may be right about a lot of things but how can you like this CFR drone? You know the CFR ultimately wants to destroy Israel and every other sovereign nation.