Author Topic: Oil spill in gulf of mexico to cause massive damage.  (Read 3599 times)

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
Oil spill in gulf of mexico to cause massive damage.
« on: April 29, 2010, 06:20:23 PM »
I know some of you disagree with me but this is a major reason I oppose offshore oil drilling near Florida, a lot of our industry relies on fishing and tourism, and this oil spill is going to be very bad for our environment. I am preparing to clean the oil out of my backyard. Is this really what we should be pushing for? I think we need to look at other alternative energies.

Oil spill could hit Louisiana coast tonight

http://www.wtsp.com/news/national/story.aspx?storyid=130964&catid=81

St. Petersburg, Florida - The urgency to contain the oil spill pumps up as a new leak pumps oil out.

Today officials in charge of the cleanup say they're considering more burning, after yesterday's successful test.

President Obama says even the military may help attack the massive spill and Louisiana's Governor Bobby Jindal says bring it on.

"We continue to push the Coast Guard and BP for more resources, to see more boots on the ground in the response to the oil reaching our coast," said Jindal at a Thursday afternoon briefing.

More than 1,000 people are already working to contain the spill and some are from Florida. Staff members from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission have been sent to Mobile, Alabama and Pensacola to help map the spill and FWC law enforcement officers are also on standby.

Peter Clark, founder of Tampa Bay Watch, helped clean birds in 1993 when oil sullied Pinellas beaches. He now fears for Louisiana.

Photo Gallery: Pictures of the 1993 Tampa Bay oil spill

Clark says once oil gets into the salt marshes there it will be nearly impossible to clean up. The toxin kills plants and destroys important habitat for wildlife.

"Those are incredibly productive communities for fisheries, for shrimp and for blue crabs," says Clark.

And some oil could reach the Mississippi River delta as soon as tonight. A southeast wind is pushing it in.

And as long as the oil keeps leaking and spreading, so do worries about fragile environmental areas closer to home. Clark says, "Everyone around the Gulf of Mexico needs to be concerned at this point."

For the latest official updates on the oil spill and cleanup efforts click here.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/29/us/29spill.html

NEW ORLEANS — Government officials said late Wednesday night that oil might be leaking from a well in the Gulf of Mexico at a rate five times that suggested by initial estimates.
Multimedia
Video TimesCast: Covering the Oil Spill and Other Top Stories (April 29, 2010)
Graphic
The Oil Spill: Wildlife at Risk
Related

In Area With Few Options, Rigs Are Mixed Blessing (April 29, 2010)
      Oil Rig Blast Complicates Push for Energy and Climate Bill (April 28, 2010)
      Rising Oil Price Benefits BP Earnings (April 28, 2010)

Readers' Comments

Readers shared their thoughts on this article.

* Read All Comments (553) »

In a hastily called news conference, Rear Adm. Mary E. Landry of the Coast Guard said a scientist from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration had concluded that oil is leaking at the rate of 5,000 barrels a day, not 1,000 as had been estimated. While emphasizing that the estimates are rough given that the leak is at 5,000 feet below the surface, Admiral Landry said the new estimate came from observations made in flights over the slick, studying the trajectory of the spill and other variables.

An explosion and fire on a drilling rig on April 20 left 11 workers missing and presumed dead. The rig sank two days later about 50 miles off the Louisiana coast.

Doug Suttles, chief operating officer for exploration and production for BP, said a new leak had been discovered as well. Officials had previously found two leaks in the riser, the 5,000-foot-long pipe that connected the rig to the wellhead and is now detached and snaking along the sea floor. One leak was at the end of the riser and the other at a kink closer to its source, the wellhead.

But Mr. Suttles said a third leak had been discovered Wednesday afternoon even closer to the source. “I’m very, very confident this leak is new,” he said. He also said the discovery of the new leak had not led them to believe that the total flow from the well was different than it was before the leak was found.

The new, far larger estimate of the leakage rate, he said, was within a range of estimates given the inexact science of determining the rate of a leak so far below the ocean’s surface.

“The leaks on the sea floor are being visually gauged from the video feed” from the remote vehicles that have been surveying the riser, said Doug Helton, a fisheries biologist who coordinates oil spill responses for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, in an e-mail message Wednesday night. “That takes a practiced eye. Like being able to look at a garden hose and judge how many gallons a minute are being discharged. The surface approach is to measure the area of the slick, the percent cover, and then estimate the thickness based on some rough color codes.”

Admiral Landry said President Obama had been notified. She also opened up the possibility that if the government determines that BP, which is responsible for the cleanup, cannot handle the spill with the resources available in the private sector, that Defense Department could become involved to contribute technology.

Wind patterns may push the spill into the coast of Louisiana as soon as Friday night, officials said, prompting consideration of more urgent measures to protect coastal wildlife. Among them were using cannons to scare off birds and employing local shrimpers’ boats as makeshift oil skimmers in the shallows.

Part of the oil slick was only 16 miles offshore and closing in on the Mississippi River Delta, the marshlands at the southeastern tip of Louisiana where the river empties into the ocean. Already 100,000 feet of protective booms have been laid down to protect the shoreline, with 500,000 feet more standing by, said Charlie Henry, an oil spill expert for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, at an earlier news conference on Wednesday.

On Wednesday evening, cleanup crews began conducting what is called an in-situ burn, a process that consists of corralling concentrated parts of the spill in a 500-foot-long fireproof boom, moving it to another location and burning it. It has been tested effectively on other spills, but weather and ecological concerns can complicate the procedure.

Such burning also works only when oil is corralled to a certain thickness. Burns may not be effective for most of this spill, of which 97 percent is estimated to be an oil-water mixture.

A burn scheduled for 11 a.m. Wednesday was delayed. At 4:45 p.m., the first small portion of the spill was ignited. Officials determined it to be successful.

Walter Chapman, director of the Energy and Environmental Systems Institute at Rice University, said a 50 percent burn-off for oil within the booms would be considered a success. Admiral Landry called the burn “one tool in a tool kit” to tackle the spill. Other tactics include: using remote-controlled vehicles to shut off the well at its source on the sea floor, an operation that has so far been unsuccessful; dropping domes over the leaks at the sea floor and routing the oil to the surface to be collected, an operation untested at such depths that would take at least two to four more weeks; and drilling relief wells to stop up the gushing cavity with concrete, mud or other heavy liquid, a solution that is months away.
Multimedia
Video TimesCast: Covering the Oil Spill and Other Top Stories (April 29, 2010)
Graphic
The Oil Spill: Wildlife at Risk
Related

In Area With Few Options, Rigs Are Mixed Blessing (April 29, 2010)
      Oil Rig Blast Complicates Push for Energy and Climate Bill (April 28, 2010)
      Rising Oil Price Benefits BP Earnings (April 28, 2010)

Readers' Comments

Readers shared their thoughts on this article.

* Read All Comments (553) »

The array of strategies underscores the unusual nature of the leak. Pipelines have ruptured and tankers have leaked, but a well 5,000 feet below the water’s surface poses new challenges, officials said.

Reached in southern Louisiana on Wednesday, where he was visiting the response team’s command center, Tony Hayward, the chief executive of BP, said he did not yet know what went wrong with the oil rig. BP, which was leasing the rig from Transocean, is responsible for the cleanup under federal law.

Until Wednesday night, the well had been estimated to be leaking 1,000 barrels, or 42,000 gallons, each day.

The response team has tried in vain to engage a device called a blowout preventer, a stack of hydraulically activated valves at the top of the well that is designed to seal off the well in the event of a sudden pressure release — a possible cause for the explosion on the rig.

Mr. Hayward said the blowout preventer was tested 10 days ago and worked. He said a valve must be partly closed, otherwise the spillage would be worse.

There are a number of things that can go wrong with a blowout preventer, said Greg McCormack, director of the Petroleum Extension Service at the University of Texas, which provides training for the industry.

The pressure of the oil coming from below might be so great that the valves cannot make an adequate seal. Or in the case of a shear ram, which is designed to cut through the drill pipe itself and seal it off, it might have encountered a tool joint, the thicker, threaded area where two lengths of drilling pipe are joined.

Still, Mr. McCormack said, “something is working there because you wouldn’t have such a relatively small flow of oil.” If the blowout preventer were completely inoperable, he said, the flow would be “orders of magnitude” greater.

Mr. Hayward, of BP, said the crude spilling from the well was very light, the color and texture of “iced tea” and implied that it would cause less environmental damage than heavier crude, like the type that spilled from the Exxon Valdez into Prince William Sound in 1989. He said in most places it was no more than a micron thick and in the thickest areas was one-tenth of a millimeter, or the width of a hair.

Mr. Hayward declined to answer questions about any potential political fallout and said BP “will be judged primarily on the response.”

As the investigation into the cause continued, officials, scientists and those who make their living on the Gulf Coast were focused on the impending prospect of the oil’s landfall.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 06:27:22 PM by White Israelite »

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Oil spill in gulf of mexico to cause massive damage.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 06:40:39 PM »
If it definitely hits Florida (and I probably will) they have volunteer jobs to help clean up the spill, I am going to volunteer on my days off Sunday and Monday.

Heres information on the cleanup volunteer group

mobilebaynep.com 251-431-6409

Here is information about the oil rig and it's a foreign owned rig mind you (South Korea)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepwater_Horizon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepwater_Horizon_drilling_rig_explosion
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 06:51:39 PM by White Israelite »

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 07:46:24 PM »
I used to support off-shore drilling for oil.  I do not support it anymore.  This is a horrible, horrible tragedy.  In the past, I believed them when they said that it was safe, but it's obviously not safe at all and can cause an unbelievable and long-term mess.  I would be for almost any alternative to getting oil from the Arab states -- but not this.  The Arabs are probably jumping up and down with joy now over this tragedy, too.  Well, we'll just have to get oil another way.  But getting it out of the ocean has got to be off limits from now on.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 07:59:52 PM »
I used to support off-shore drilling for oil.  I do not support it anymore.  This is a horrible, horrible tragedy.  In the past, I believed them when they said that it was safe, but it's obviously not safe at all and can cause an unbelievable and long-term mess.  I would be for almost any alternative to getting oil from the Arab states -- but not this.  The Arabs are probably jumping up and down with joy now over this tragedy, too.  Well, we'll just have to get oil another way.  But getting it out of the ocean has got to be off limits from now on.

If ts NOT from off-shore drilling, it will STiLL have to be shipped, and from an even greater distance (Saudi Arabia, or whatever) with an even higher probability of a mishap.

At least if its nearby, were not supporting Islamofascism.

But yes, this is a TERRIBLE catastrophe.

Offline arksis

• Master JTFer
  • Dawn
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 08:55:23 PM »
Offshore drilling is VERY safe and I agree, this is a catastrophe. Does no one here think maybe an "ecoterrorist" blew it up? Something is just not right with this.
---Never, ever deal with terrorists. Hunt them down and, more important, mercilessly punish those states and groups that fund, arm, support, or simply allow their territories to be used by the terrorists with impunity.
Meir Kahane

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 07:04:45 AM »
Offshore drilling is VERY safe and I agree, this is a catastrophe. Does no one here think maybe an "ecoterrorist" blew it up? Something is just not right with this.

No, I think accidents happen and always will. You can try as much as possible to achieve close to a 100% safety record in any dangerous endeavor but there will always be risk.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Irish Zionist

• Forum Administrator
  • Ultimate JTFer
    • My zootube channel
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 07:08:04 AM »
Is it just me or does the first picture look fake!
The banding together by the nations of the world against Israel is the guarantee that their time of destruction is near and the final redemption of the Jew at hand.
Rabbi Meir Kahane

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 12:10:52 PM »
Re:  "Is it just me or does the first picture look fake!"

You've got good eyes.

Even more -- Why are we expected to believe that the scene portrayed in the doctored photo and others shown are actual scenes of the incident being reported?

All they usually do is dig through their official "file photos" for a scene of a good oil rig fire, and photoshop it and then use it as their image for the story of the day.

Here's the philosophy of the modern media industry:
In today's cynical world, bizarre sex, fires, violence, and chaos evoke nothing but a "ho-hum" from a jaded American public.
An actual photo taken of the event in question might not be "dramatic" enough in appearance and so fail to grab and keep the public's attention.
In addition, the ubiquitous "bottom line" mentality considers that photoshopping a "file photo"  means not having to pay a journalist to cover a news story, and thereby increases the profit margins and by extension the already out of control incomes and bonus packages of media upper level management.
We live in sick and dangerous times.
Nothing we see, hear, or read in the media should be accepted as true without our first having carefully scrutinized and cross-referenced it using numerous other accessed media sources.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 01:17:07 PM »
I don't see photoshop,

here is latest news

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/04/30/oil-not-on-shore-yet-bp-spokesman-says/?hpt=T1

(Update 2:20 p.m.) A roundup of some of the latest developments:

– More than 217,000 feet of boom, or barrier, is assigned to contain the spill. An additional 305,760 feet is available.

– 139,459 gallons of dispersant have been deployed and an additional 51,000 gallons are available.

– Gov. Bob Riley of Alabama met with members of his Cabinet to give them the latest information on the oil slick in the gulf and to tell them to reach out to citizens and businesses that could be affected.

– Biloxi Mayor A.J. Holloway discussed oil-spill preparations with key  department heads and will ask the City Council to declare a state of emergency.

– Two Air Force Reserve C-130s from 910th Airlift Wing out of Youngstown  Ohio have arrived at Stennis Airfield in Hancock County Mississippi to help. 

– BP has set up a "Vessel of Opportunity" program for vessel owners to  offer their services to assist with response efforts.

– To supplement its Houma, Louisiana incident command post, BP is now establishing a similar onshore incident command post in Mobile, Alabama to  oversee the onshore response in Mississippi, Alabama and Florida.

(Update 2:12 p.m.) A number of organizations are recruiting volunteers to help with the effects of the oil spill. Here’s how you can help.

(Update 1:31 p.m.)  Attorney General Eric Holder is sending a team of Justice Department attorneys to the Gulf Coast to meet with federal prosecutors and response teams, the Justice Department said in a statement released Friday.

"The Justice Department stands ready to make available every resource at our disposal to vigorously enforce the laws that protect the people who work and reside near the Gulf, the wildlife, the environment and the American taxpayers," the statement said.

(Update 1:10 p.m.) The oil spill could threaten hundreds of species of wildlife, some in their prime breeding season, environmental organizations said.

"The terrible loss of 11 workers (unaccounted for after the rig explosion) may be just the beginning of this tragedy as the oil slick spreads toward sensitive coastal areas vital to birds and marine life and to all the communities that depend on them," said Melanie Driscoll, director of bird conservation for the Louisiana Coastal Initiative, in a statement.

(Update 12:57 p.m.) Track the oil spill with this map and tell us how it is affecting you.

(Update 11:58 a.m.) President Barack Obama is ordering Interior Secretary Ken Salazar "to conduct a thorough review" of the explosion of the Deepwater Horizon rig and subsequent oil spill.

He said domestic oil production continues to be "an important part of our overall strategy" but said "it must be done responsibly for the safety of our workers and our environment."

(Update 11:54 a.m) Florida Gov. Charlie Crist has declared a state of emergency in the Panhandle coastal counties of Escambia, Santa Rosa, Okaloosa, Walton, Bay, and Gulf.

Officials anticipate that oil floating toward Louisiana is likely to reach land sometime Friday, with Venice and Port Fourchon, being the first places affected, said BP spokesman Mike Abendhoff.

Officials monitoring the Gulf oil spill have not yet confirmed reports that oil reached land in the morning hours. Full story

A roundup of other developments:

– Louisiana's Gov. Bobby Jindal has declared a state of emergency and asked the Defense Department to approve funding for the deployment of 6,000 National Guard troops.

– Along the Gulf coast business owners are concerned about the potential impact on the bottom line. The oil slick coming ashore "would put us out of business," fisherman Rene Cross in Venice, Louisiana, told CNN affiliate WDSU.

– Dave Rauschkolb who owns three restaurants on the Florida Panhandle says: "We are a seasonal economy.  If I don't have my summer business, I am out of business." Full story

Here are highlights from the latest briefing Friday by the Joint Information Center, which is coordinating response to the oil spill.

– Nearly 2,000 personnel are involved in the response

– More than 217,000 feet of boom assigned to contain the spill.  An additional 305,760 feet is available.

– To date, the oil spill response team has recovered 20,313 barrels (853,146 gallons) of an oil-water mix.

– 75 response vessels are being used including skimmers, tugs, barges and recovery vessels.

– Five staging areas are in place and ready to protect sensitive shorelines: Mississippi; Pensacola, Florida; Venice, Louisiana; Pascagoula, Mississippi; and Theodore, Alabama. A sixth staging area is being set up in Port Sulphur, Louisiana.

– Winds on Friday are from the southeast at 20 knots Seas are 5- to 7- feet, with slight chance of afternoon showers

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 05:06:15 PM »
the pictures aren't fake, you can see video closeup here of the rig on fire.

Online cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 05:37:20 PM »
I see a great deal of activity but as usual it seems they let the horse get out of the barn. I think they were slow to react to the oil spill when it was  concentrated in one spot. I never understand why they just don't set it on fire when its in one place like that. They were doing test fires the other day. What's to test? Its an oil slick in the middle of water what can happen besides some of the oil burning away. Its very sad that there will most likely be some damage however the oil that comes from there is needed and this should not be used as an excuse to halt drilling there completely.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 05:45:06 PM by cjd »
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 05:45:47 PM »
more video

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 07:03:45 PM »
If anyone here is interested in volunteering that lives on the gulf coast, here is a website for volunteer work.

http://www.oilspillvolunteers.com

please don't let this go to waste.

This was taken last summer from Destin Florida on the gulf.

Offline TruthSpreader

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WeThePeopleZeb
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 07:07:00 PM »
That's horrendous!
Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision

Online Confederate Kahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2010, 07:24:29 PM »
There was something that BP could have bought to lock it down to prevent a fire and a leak. Though they didn't due to a lack of regulations in the US.
Chad M ~ Your rebel against white guilt

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2010, 08:14:19 PM »
http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/05/01/1608736/oil-spill-wont-hit-florida-beaches.html

I live 40 minutes from pensacola

Oil spill won't hit Florida beaches _ yet
The Associated Press

PENSACOLA, Fla. -- Gov. Charlie Crist has been told that oil from the massive spill off the coast of Louisiana won't reach Florida beaches for at least three days.

But Crist was also told that it's only a matter of time when oil washes up on the Panhandle's sugar-white sands and beyond. About 200,000 gallons of oil a day are gushing from the well after an April 20 rig explosion.

Crist was briefed on the spill Saturday by the U.S. Coast Guard, BP PLC and Florida environmental Secretary Michael Sole. He also was shown equipment that's ready to try to contain the oil.

Crist said, "We're going to see oil, I wish we weren't, but I think we're going to see it."

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/05/01/1608736/oil-spill-wont-hit-florida-beaches.html#ixzz0mjW6XEiF

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2010, 08:16:02 PM »
http://news.suite101.com/article.cfm/growing-oil-spill-contaminates-gulf-coast-seafood-exports-a232471

Growing Oil Spill Contaminates Gulf Coast Seafood Exports
Share Article |

May 1, 2010 Daniel Workman
Seafood exports from Gulf of Mexico states generated millions of dollars for American fish and shellfish exporters - that is, before the BP oil slick began.

The British Petroleum oil slick will have costs that extend far beyond the Gulf of Mexico.

The size of growing oil spill is an estimated 4,000 square miles (over 10,000 square kilometers) and has already hit the shores of Louisiana and Mississippi. Oil and water sludge should arrive at Alabama and Florida shorelines by Monday. To the west, dead turtles have already washed ashore in Texas.

Oil contamination has already had a serious impact on local economies. Particularly hard hit are fishermen whose livelihoods depend principally on Gulf Coast seafood catches and who are still struggling to recover from Hurricane Katrina.
Gulf of Mexico Seafood Exports Endangered

Another devastating result from the BP oil spill is the potential loss of millions of dollars in U.S. seafood exports.

Last year, the 5 states most likely to suffer the immediate impact from the Gulf of Mexico oil slick exported US$11.6 million worth of fish and shellfish to its northern trading partner Canada.

Read more at Suite101: Growing Oil Spill Contaminates Gulf Coast Seafood Exports http://news.suite101.com/article.cfm/growing-oil-spill-contaminates-gulf-coast-seafood-exports-a232471#ixzz0mjWQYCAe

Below are the latest import statistics from Industry Canada’s Trade Data Online for those 5 states during 2009:

1. Florida ... US$5.6 million in exported seafood to Canada
   2. Louisiana … $4.2 million
   3. Alabama … $1.1 million
   4. Texas … $434,624
   5. Mississippi … $354,875.

These may seem like relatively modest amounts compared against international trade statistics for other commodities like oil. However, one must consider that Canada is only one out of 95 other countries that import Gulf Coast seafood products.
Gulf of Mexico Fish Exports to Canada

Florida alone shipped $1.6 million worth of fresh, chilled or frozen fish fillets and other fish meat to Canada last year. That was already a significant decline from the $6.8 million exported in 2005. Alabama was in second place with $907,681 in shipments followed by Mississippi with $275,279.

Florida was also the leader among Gulf States for exports of live fish to Canada, racking up $3 million in sales for 2009.
Gulf of Mexico Shellfish Exports to Canada

Louisiana was king of frozen shrimps and prawns in 2009, delivering over $4 million worth of those seafood products to Canadian importers. Texas was a distant second with $245,884.

For frozen crab exports, Florida was the big winner invoicing for $367 million worth of shipments.
Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA)

The above figures show that seafood exports to Canada from the Gulf States are diversified. For example, Florida specializes in fish and crabs, while Louisiana is strongest in shrimps and prawns.

No matter.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) is responsible for inspecting all plants, animals and food products imported into Canada. If the CFIA recommends, the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) can prohibit delivery of seafood that is suspected to be contaminated by the BP oil slick.

While the CFIA has not yet made a policy announcement, it may be a matter of time before it does. Other seafood importing countries around the world may also announce their own positions on contaminated Gulf of Mexico seafood.
Seafood Export Disaster Recovery Plan

Hopefully, President Obama will formulate a strategy to help mitigate the loss of millions of dollars in U.S. seafood export sales.

The Obama National Export Initiative to double export sales over the next 5 years may well include asking parties responsible for the oil spill to compensate for lost Gulf Coast seafood exports.

Read more at Suite101: Growing Oil Spill Contaminates Gulf Coast Seafood Exports http://news.suite101.com/article.cfm/growing-oil-spill-contaminates-gulf-coast-seafood-exports-a232471#ixzz0mjWWDos2

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2010, 08:20:23 PM »
Latest pictures

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2010, 11:25:33 PM »
I feel worst for the wildlife that will suffer and die :(

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2010, 11:28:36 PM »
Meir, those are some absolutely incredible pictures you have posted. This is a horrible tragedy and G-d will judge the wicked multinational oil oligarchs for what they did.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2010, 07:03:39 PM »
There is new video from the underwater robots that are trying to seal the leaks, you can see how massive the oil leak is and why it's nearly impossible to seal.

this is from 3000 feet deep in the ocean.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2010, 07:31:18 PM »

All because of a methane gas bubble!
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Online cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2010, 07:41:19 PM »

All because of a methane gas bubble!

They know that this methane is a factor... They should have had systems in place that would neutralize it and keep it from coming up through the well.  It seems the measures they took to prevent the blowout were not enough. I was reading a news story the other day that said that there were additional procedures that would have prevented the methane from coming up through the wellhead in the first place... Why were they not used.. It seems BP is a day late and many dollars short with not only the cleanup but preventing the problem in the first beginning.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2010, 07:44:45 PM »
oil spill worse than BP admits to, amateur video you can see how bad the spill really is, this is not going to be contained by "humans".

!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 07:54:37 PM by White Israelite »

Online cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2010, 08:05:30 PM »
oil spill worse than BP admits to, amateur video you can see how bad the spill really is, this is not going to be contained by "humans".

!
They will get it under control I think its just a matter of getting the right equipment and people out there to get things under control... The damage from the spill is going to be another issue... It seems that the shvartza Administration is taking a very laid back response to the disaster. They should have had people out there working on this even if they have to bill BP for the expense.