Author Topic: Jewish Comic Book Characters Come to Life!!!  (Read 709 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Jewish Comic Book Characters Come to Life!!!
« on: May 05, 2010, 02:57:45 PM »
I have heard that many of our greatest super-heros from the comic books were created by Jewish comic book writers and artists... A Berlin exhibition is being held to show the Jewish contribution to the art of Comic books...

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/137399

Berlin Exhibit Features Famous Jewish Comic Creators
Iyar 21, 5770, 05 May 10 11:22
by Malkah Fleisher

(Israelnationalnews.com) A new exhibit at Berlin's Jewish Museum entitled "Heroes, Freaks, and Superrabbis – the Jewish Color of Comics" features the work of 45 of the best comic creators, almost all the children of European Jewish parents who had emigrated to New York.

An article by Agence France Presse reported that the exhibit is intended to investigate why Jews began drawing comic book heroes in the first place.

Superman, Spiderman, Batman, and the Incredible Hulk were all brought to life by Jewish comic makers.

Jewish Superman creators Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, and Jewish Captain America creators Jack Kirby and Joe Simon, each had their characters battling the Nazis, and even Hitler himself in 1940.

Berlin museum curator Anne Helene Hoog posited that the creation of the comics may have filled a personal, and perhaps cultural or even national, need for superheroes in the 1930s and 40s, when the Great Depression gave way to World War II, and young immigrants to the United States – especially Jews – were often poor refugees.

The exhibit will also display the traditional Jewish imagery found in some comics, including the resemblance of the story of young Superman to that of young Moses: both were set adrift to save their lives, then raised by those who discovered them.

Pulitzer-prize-winning Holocaust comic Maus, Mad magazine, and other comics will also be on display in the exhibit, which is held in cooperation with the Museum of Art and History of Judaism in Paris and the Jewish Historical Museum in Amsterdam. Running until August 8, the exhibit will feature over 200 original comics, including rare signed originals.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
Re: Jewish Comic Book Characters Come to Life!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 04:38:59 PM »
Don't forget Stan Lee, aka Stanley Lieberman [creator of too many to name!]!!  And Len Wein [Wolverine, and Swamp Thing]!!
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline nopeaceforland

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 10:04:23 PM »
omg!!!! The author of this article is my fiancee's cousin! :dance:

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 10:22:18 PM »

Really!?!

Malkah Fliesher also has a Radio show on Arutz Sheva Radio..

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Radio/Author.aspx/1178   

About Malkah Fleisher
Malkah Fleisher is a graduate of Cardozo Law School in New York City. She and her husband Yishai live on a hilltop in Beit El. Malkah hosts the Eyshet Chayil - Woman of Valor Podcast every Tuesday from 6:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. Israel time on Israel National Radio. She joins Yishai & Friends on Thursdays.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline nopeaceforland

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 05:29:24 PM »

Really!?!

Malkah Fliesher also has a Radio show on Arutz Sheva Radio..

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Radio/Author.aspx/1178   

About Malkah Fleisher
Malkah Fleisher is a graduate of Cardozo Law School in New York City. She and her husband Yishai live on a hilltop in Beit El. Malkah hosts the Eyshet Chayil - Woman of Valor Podcast every Tuesday from 6:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. Israel time on Israel National Radio. She joins Yishai & Friends on Thursdays.

Yeah, I really want to meet them! :) They would really join our cause, or at  least that is what my fiancee says. Although, my fiancee is a lib, so she overreacts! ;)

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 07:43:38 PM »
I always did like the X-Men comic books. They were so detailed and well drawn