Author Topic: Slipknot Bassist Dead at only 38.  (Read 881 times)

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
Slipknot Bassist Dead at only 38.
« on: May 25, 2010, 12:47:58 AM »
Slipknot Bassist Paul Gray Found Dead in Des Moines Hotel

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20100524/NEWS/100524023/Police-Slipknot-bassist-found-dead-at-Urbandale-hotel

This is a loss for heavy metal fans and a loss for all of music. The guy had some drug problems but it seemed like he had gotten over them. To make matters worse, he and his wife were expecting. RIP.

Dr. Brennan Fan

Quote from: Des Moines Register
Slipknot co-founder Paul Gray found dead at Urbandale hotel
Updated 11:37 pm
BY L. LARS HULSEBUS AND JOE LAWLER • [email protected] • MAY 24, 2010

Urbandale police are investigating the death of a member of one of Iowa's loudest and most famous bands.

Paul Dedrick Gray, 38, of Johnston was found dead at about 10:50 a.m. Monday by an employee at TownePlace Suites, 8800 Northpark Drive in Urbandale, police said.

Gray played bass guitar for Grammy-winning Slipknot and was a founding member of the Des Moines band, known among metal fans worldwide for its sound and theatricality.

There was no evidence of foul play in Gray's death, but the investigation is ongoing, police said. An autopsy, including toxicology tests, is scheduled to be done today, Urbandale police Sgt. Dave Disney said.

Gray checked into the extended-stay hotel on Saturday and was scheduled to check out today, hotel spokesman Chris Diebel said.

Monday morning, Gray's relatives called the hotel to ask the staff to check on him because they could not reach him by phone, Disney said. Gray was found alone, apparently dead, and employees called 911.

Disney would not disclose Monday whether anything of interest was found in Gray's room or why Gray was staying at the hotel.

Diebel said the hotel staff had not seen or heard anything out of the ordinary before finding Gray's body.

The musician had stayed at the hotel before and was remembered as being a quiet and respectful guest, Diebel said.

Gray, who was born in Los Angeles, was one of two Slipknot members not born in Iowa. Gray and his wife, Brenna, were expecting a child, according to friends of Gray's.

"Paul had a lot going for him, and a lot coming," KAZR-FM (103.3) music director Andy Hall said.

"I know he was excited about being a dad. It makes an already extremely difficult situation more unthinkable."

Gray had past trouble with drug abuse

Gray had a history of drug abuse and was arrested on drug charges in June 2003 after he crashed his Porsche into a Des Moines motorist at Martin Luther King Jr. Parkway and Carpenter Avenue.

Police charged Gray with marijuana possession, cocaine possession, possession of drug paraphernalia and a red-light violation.

He later pleaded guilty of driving while under the influence of drugs, and was sentenced to one year of informal probation.

His court file included a handwritten note from Dr. Joe Takamine, who described a conversation with Gray about his "sporadic use of various drugs and of the long periods of abstinence in between."

Takamine concluded that Gray was not addicted to any drug and understood the dangers of drug use.

Friends and musicians remember Gray

Slipknot's music and live performances have attracted dedicated fans from around the world since the band released its first major-label album in 1999. The band affectionately named its fans "maggots."

Musician Matt Nyberg, who was dubbed "First Maggot" by Slipknot's Shawn Crahan, remembered Gray on Monday.

"It's just a devastating loss for the Des Moines music scene and the world's music scene," Nyberg said. "He was always one of the nicest guys. You never heard anything negative from him."

J.R. Siems is in the band Sound Proof Coalition with Slipknot member Sid Wilson, and became friends with Gray.

"Everybody seemed to think he was in good health again, so it came as a big shock that this had to happen," Siems said. "It's pretty surreal.

"He had the biggest heart of anyone I knew and would give anyone the shirt off his back."

Hall, of KAZR-FM, also said Gray's death would be a big loss to the local music scene.

"I think Slipknot gave young music fans an identity and a real sense of pride for being from Des Moines," Hall said.

Gray's life ended in the same city where the early version of the band practiced and where Slipknot's indie debut album "Mate. Feed. Kill. Repeat," was recorded.

"He's going to be deeply missed, and I'm very worried about the future of the band," said Chris Cardani, a local music promoter who has booked Slipknot shows. "More than just a member of Slipknot, he was a friend."

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Slipknot Bassist Dead at only 38.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 12:49:55 AM »
I am not familiar with the music. I was into heavy metal in the 80s-90s... saw most of the big bands of the day... But slipknot I do not know...

I just know that the costumes they wore {in the pictures I saw on the web} were a bit too much for me..

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 12:54:07 AM »
I just know that the costumes they wore {in the pictures I saw on the web} were a bit too much for me..
He was the member who wore the pig mask. He was one of the first members too.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 01:00:17 AM »
:( I used to listen to slipknot when I was younger.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 01:04:16 AM »
:( I used to listen to slipknot when I was younger.
I still listen to them sometimes.  :'(

Offline Confederate Kahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 01:10:31 AM »
Sucks man I like there music  :'(
Chad M ~ Your rebel against white guilt

Offline Spiraling Leopard

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Eternal Vigilance
    • PIGtube-channel:
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 01:24:09 AM »
The early Dream Theater is a far better band.