Author Topic: The Jewish Internet Defense Force  (Read 812 times)

Offline tron77

• Junior JTFer
The Jewish Internet Defense Force
« on: July 02, 2010, 08:45:35 AM »
Anyone heard of this? with all of the negative Anti Semetic propaganda on youtube, maybe we should coordinate with this group?

http://www.thejidf.org/2008/10/about-jidf.html

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: The Jewish Internet Defense Force
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 09:09:20 AM »
Read their "disclaimer" reprinted below and found at the bottom of their website!

I never saw anything like that on any JTF or Kahane websites!

Doesn't sound to me like they are legitimate.

If the "views expressed do not necessarily reflect he views of the JIDF"...then what kind of fraud are they perpetrating?

Answer:
See the PayPal buttons and the "partners with Amazon.com" links?

The views expressed on this website do not necessarily reflect the views of the JIDF. The content is not intended to malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organization, company or individual. This site's intention is to do no harm, to not injure others, defame, or libel. All data and information provided on this site is for informational, educational, and/or entertainment purposes only. The Jewish Internet Defense Force (JIDF) makes no representations as to accuracy, currentness, correctness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use, or access to this site. We are not responsible for translation or interpretation of content. We are not responsible for defamatory statements bound to government, religious or other laws from the reader’s country of origin. All information is provided on an as-is basis with no warranties, and confers no rights. We are not responsible for the actions, content, accuracy, opinions expressed, privacy policies, products or services or for any damages or losses, directly or indirectly, caused or alleged to have been caused as a result of your use or reliance on such information on the Jewish Internet Defense Force site. This site includes links to other sites and blogs operated by third parties. These links are provided as a convenience to you and as an additional avenue of access to the information contained therein. We have not reviewed all of the information on other sites and are not responsible for the content of any other sites or any products or services that may be offered through other sites. The inclusion of these links in no way indicates their endorsement, support or approval of the contents of this site or the policies or positions of the JIDF. We have the right to edit, remove or deny access to content that is determined to be, in our sole discretion, unacceptable. These Terms and Conditions of Use apply to you when you view, access or otherwise use this blog and the Website. Furthermore, JIDF is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 09:16:48 AM »
From what I have heard JIDF does a lot to bring down antisemitic websites.

They have gotten a lot of good press for their work...

http://www.zionismontheweb.org/zionism_commentary/JIDF_and_the_facebook_not_a_state_group.htm

Here is an interview with the founder:

The following is an interview I had the pleasure of having with David Appletree of The JIDF. The JIDF is a non-violent protest group who share concerns about antisemitic online content, as well as content which promotes terrorism on sites including Facebook, YouTube, Wikipedia, Google Earth, Blogger, and other sites and forums throughout the internet.

Itamar: how did The JIDF first get started?

David: Officially, the JIDF took off in May of 2008. However, the JIDF has been many years in the making. There were five important turning points for our organization:

The Start of the 2nd Intifada in September 2000 - The catalyst to the creation of the JIDF was the Second Intifada. While Jews were being terrorized daily in Israel, the propaganda machine of our enemies resulted in reactionary pressure from the U.S. and the international community that forced Israel to enter into unfeasible, unattainable, and impractical concessions of land in exchange for false promises of “peace.” This policy of rewarding terrorism with land concessions (Land for “Peace”) only encouraged additional attacks and worsened the security situation in Israel. This policy resulted in needless loss of life and inspired many of us to begin its email campaigns.

9/11 – On this day, it felt that all of us in the USA were living in Israel. As many JIDF members were living in NYC at the time, to say the attack on 9/11 “had an impact” would be an understatement. Email campaigns continued.

The disengagement from Gush Katif (Gaza) in August 2005 – By 2003, with Sharon’s announcement of his plans for “unilateral withdrawal,” we had enough, and we intensified our efforts online. In 2005, many of us were outspoken against the disengagement from Gush Katif and rallied Jews and non-Jews to support those that have since been expelled from their homes in Gush Katif and North Samaria. We launched web-based campaigns and email campaigns continued.

The war with Hezbollah in Lebanon in July 2006 – During this time, we continued our activities, which became more organized and urgent–especially as we began using Myspace as a way to rally support for the IDF.

The massacre at the Mercaz HaRav and the Facebook groups which went up to honor it in March 2008

The massacre at Mercaz HaRav Yeshiva in Israel made us realize the need for more direct action. We became a more visible entity as the result of the event but ultimately it was the Facebook groups which subsequently sprouted to honor the perpetrator of the massacre that prompted us to be more brazen. The use of Facebook and other social media to blatantly praise acts of terrorism and promote antisemitism demanded an equally blatant response.

Itamar: I remember that in Mid-June or July, there was an attempt at creating a #GiladShalit trending topic one day, but it was not organized enough, and never made it. Did this newest Tweet4Shalit campaign stem from that? Is this a more organized attempt?

David: I believe they were just using the ‘#Gilad’ hashtag. I didn’t learn much about that campaign until after we began the Tweet4Shalit campaign.
We’re hopeful for this campaign, as the JIDF has an online reach of about 150,000 active social media users. We were also fortunate to get the blessing of the Shalit family, all the major organizations representing them, and many other mainstream organizations like AISH, Chabad, the Israeli Consulate of NY, the Zionist Federation of Great Britain and Ireland, and HonestReporting (among others). With all of them helping to get the word out, this is a rather organized attempt to raise awareness.
Note: The day the original #GiladShalit campaign was stomped out because it was the day that Michael Jackson and Farrah died.
Itamar: What is Gilad Shalit’s status as of today? Is he confirmed to be alive? Is he being held for a known ransom?

David: Shalit is believed to be alive. I believe at least one of Hamas’ demands is that Israel release 450 Islamic terrorists.
Itamar: This idea of Tweet4Shalit is a great concept. Has any other non-political non-profit effort like this hit the trending topics? Do you believe we can do it this time?

David: It’s difficult to say whether or not we will succeed, as we don’t know all the trends for that day in which we’ll be competing against. Either way, we will be raising awareness and everyone will be doing their part, thinking and praying for Gilad, which is a great thing.
Itamar: What do you hope to achieve with the Tweet4Shalit campaign?

David: ‘Tweet4Shalit’ is a 24 hour Twitter event in which thousands of supporters will sign onto Twitter to tweet the hashtag ‘#GiladShalit’ with the goal of making Gilad a top ten Twitter ‘Trending Topic’ and thus, we hope to raise awareness of Gilad Shalit’s situation. We want the world to act and we want Gilad Shalit to be free.

Itamar: Do you think that Israel’s current approach in dealing with getting Shalit back is appropriate? What do you think they could be doing better?

David: It’s difficult to comment upon that appropriately, as I’m not privy to the high-level talks and actions regarding Shalit. I’m inspired by the twist that Chabad Lubavitch Headquarters has put onto the Tweet4Shalit campaign. They have asked their readers to bring awareness by doing good deeds or mitzvot in Shalit’s honor, and then tweeting about them. I also believe in the power of davening (prayer). I believe a lot of the answers we’re looking for can be found in Judaism, and I always appreciate when Jewish leaders (especially in Israel) promote ancient (yet still innovative and effective) approaches.
Thanks so much to David Appletree of the JIDF for making this interview possible! We hope to see everybody participating in the Tweet4Shalit campaign by tweeting #GiladShalit in every tweet!
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 01:40:53 PM »
From my interactions with them the JIDF are good people.  The disclaimer might be because of the enormous amount of problems the JIDF has had with Facebook [Muzzies gang up and get their groups closed down, and the founder of JIDF is extremely banned from Facebook].  I used to help one of the guys who works for the JIDF compile information about Islam about a year ago.  I still talk with the guy but he's up to speed on Islam now so I don't have much to do with them except reading their articles.
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein