Author Topic: what if ww1 never happened?  (Read 2247 times)

Offline Yaakov Mendel

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
Re: what if ww1 never happened?
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2010, 06:01:04 PM »
My opinion is that Germany (including Austria, Switzerland, and all these germanized Jews and east Europeans of course) overtook France as the leader in Math in the late 18th century. But I suppose that is arguable.

The talent of the French people in mathematics is exceptional. The approximate equivalent of the Nobel Prize in Mathematics is the Fields Medal. It has been awarded every four years since 1936.
Since 1936, there have been 10 French Fields Medals laureates. The only country in the world that has done better is the USA with 12 Fields Medal laureates. But the US is almost 5 times more populated than France !
There has not been a single German mathematician who has got a Fields Medal.
Those who have a tendency to sneer at France on this forum should think about this. The French have their shortcomings and their weaknesses but there is no question that they have brought to the world many, many brilliant minds, discoveries and achievements.

Yes, like Crepes, Croissants, and French rolls...

I don't like croissants. Too fat...

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2010, 07:29:25 PM »
Have to agree with yaakov here.

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2010, 07:51:04 PM »
Have to agree with yaakov here.

Yes.  Germany has a rich and vibrant history of Jewish hatred for centuries.  Hitler [YS"V] was a product of the existing culture.  The role of Martin Luther [YS"V] is undeniable [and he too was merely a product of the Jew hating culture which already existed].

@Muman: Crepes and croissants are zeeeee très magnifique!
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline Yaakov Mendel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2010, 03:58:16 AM »
Yaakov Mendel, I have a notion that Jews in France (and Britain) didn't achieve the same level of success in math and science as the Jews in Germany, and Russia, and America, am I right ?

It is true as regards Mathematics.

I am sorry my response was probably wrong at least as far as the 20th century is concerned. I have to check again but it seems that at least three of the French mathematicians who received a Fields Medal are Jewish.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 04:04:16 AM by yaakov mendel »